Insurance Watch

keyka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey all,

are there any clever people out there who can tell me if I can be removed from the insurance by nasty parents trying to punish me, if the insurance policy is in my name? thought i should find out before having any major arguments with them, because i know that if they can that will be what they threaten me with!

ta, bex
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by keyka)
Hey all,

are there any clever people out there who can tell me if I can be removed from the insurance by nasty parents trying to punish me, if the insurance policy is in my name? thought i should find out before having any major arguments with them, because i know that if they can that will be what they threaten me with!

ta, bex
If you're the policy holder they can't do a thing unless they are paying for it hence the credit agreement or whatever is in their name.
keyka
Rep:
?
hmmm, they do pay for it, but the car has been signed over to me, so i thought that they could only remove me if i signed to agree to that.
l1ncs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As far as i am aware the policy holder can add and remove named drivers
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the policy is in your name only, then only you can cancel it. However, if there is some sort of credit agreement etc and they are paying it monthly from their bank account etc. then if they cease the payments the policy will lapse due to non-payment.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by l1ncs)
As far as i am aware the policy holder can add and remove named drivers
Well if they pay for it the credit agreement will be in their name (they might even be the policy holder!) and they might have a fair bit of control over it since, if they stop paying, then your insurance is void.
keyka
Rep:
?
I am the policy holder, i'm sure of that. my dad is a named driver though so if they stop paying then he'll be uninsured too, so they won't do that one. and as far as i know they payed it all at once, so its insured until the beginning of next year.
ninman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if your dad is only a named driver then he can't cancel your policy.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Exactly. Like I said so long as the policy is solely in your name and he is just a named driver rather than joint policy holder, they insurance company can only take orders from you and you alone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (697)
80.58%
Leave (168)
19.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed