Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

are there any clever people out there who can tell me if I can be removed from the insurance by nasty parents trying to punish me, if the insurance policy is in my name? thought i should find out before having any major arguments with them, because i know that if they can that will be what they threaten me with!

ta, bex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keyka)
    Hey all,

are there any clever people out there who can tell me if I can be removed from the insurance by nasty parents trying to punish me, if the insurance policy is in my name? thought i should find out before having any major arguments with them, because i know that if they can that will be what they threaten me with!

ta, bex
    If you're the policy holder they can't do a thing unless they are paying for it hence the credit agreement or whatever is in their name.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, they do pay for it, but the car has been signed over to me, so i thought that they could only remove me if i signed to agree to that.

ReputationRep:
    As far as i am aware the policy holder can add and remove named drivers

ReputationRep:
    If the policy is in your name only, then only you can cancel it. However, if there is some sort of credit agreement etc and they are paying it monthly from their bank account etc. then if they cease the payments the policy will lapse due to non-payment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1ncs)
    As far as i am aware the policy holder can add and remove named drivers
    Well if they pay for it the credit agreement will be in their name (they might even be the policy holder!) and they might have a fair bit of control over it since, if they stop paying, then your insurance is void.

ReputationRep:
    I am the policy holder, i'm sure of that. my dad is a named driver though so if they stop paying then he'll be uninsured too, so they won't do that one. and as far as i know they payed it all at once, so its insured until the beginning of next year.

ReputationRep:
    if your dad is only a named driver then he can't cancel your policy.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Like I said so long as the policy is solely in your name and he is just a named driver rather than joint policy holder, they insurance company can only take orders from you and you alone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.