The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kiril
Oh well, I've made up my mind then - Edinburgh - a great city. Computer Science - A GREAT Subject. The Uni at Edinburgh - a great university for Computer Science. What's even more, the word is that it's as good as Imperial for the subject.

It looks like finally, I've made up my mind.

:P see you first semester!!!!

i wouldnt say that it is as good as imperial but edinburgh is a very good uni
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
i'm off to edinburgh too for psychology! can't wait, its a great university which doesn't really get as much recognition as it deserves. as for the city, its one of the best i've been to, what puts it apart fom other big cities is the amount of greenery and open space which make it a really pleasant place to live. the union is great too, and the accomodation is suppost to be brilliant! roll on september! :smile:
Kiril
Oh well, I've made up my mind then - Edinburgh - a great city. Computer Science - A GREAT Subject. The Uni at Edinburgh - a great university for Computer Science. What's even more, the word is that it's as good as Imperial for the subject.

i know a couple of guys off to do computer science at edinburgh next year. the course there is really good, maybe not as good as imperial. It's a world leader in a i though.
iiikewldude
i know a couple of guys off to do computer science at edinburgh next year. the course there is really good, maybe not as good as imperial. It's a world leader in a i though.

Edinburgh is particularly good at Artificial Intelligence, and it has got a fantastic history, with real achievements and famous alumni and tutors, as opposed to just being league - table fashionable..
Reply 5
Kiril

lol stop trying to convince yourself when you know it's not true. Edinburgh does have a very good department, but certainly not as good as Imperial. Usual grade offer at Imperial for comp sci is AAA, on the other hand normal grade offer at Edinburgh for comp sci is BBB. Says alot really. If they were THAT good, they would have a normal grade offer which was much higher, to try and stop the excess demand for places, which clearly isn't happening.
Nevermind, go there and be happy, for it is still a very reputable uni.
Reply 6
BossLady
lol stop trying to convince yourself when you know it's not true. Edinburgh does have a very good department, but certainly not as good as Imperial. Usual grade offer at Imperial for comp sci is AAA, on the other hand normal grade offer at Edinburgh for comp sci is BBB. Says alot really. If they were THAT good, they would have a normal grade offer which was much higher, to try and stop the excess demand for places, which clearly isn't happening.

Rubbish. Don't LSE make ABB-AAB offers? Clearly they could be making AAAA offers and still getting the same students.
Reply 7
fishpaste
Rubbish. Don't LSE make ABB-AAB offers? Clearly they could be making AAAA offers and still getting the same students.

The students applying to edin tend to have ABB or BBB etc prediction, or they will be using edin as more of a back up if they have higher.
LSE has lower offers (not for econ but for stuff like management) probs for all those international students(wants their ££££ lol) and it is a totally different ball game anyway. It can still command the best students with an offer like that, but most of them applicants will have straight As. The LSE is the LSE, as simple as that.
Much easier to get into Edinburgh for comp sci, than LSE for say Management (ABB).
Reply 8
BossLady

pretty poor argument there - universities will also base their offers depending on the number of people applying and the offers accepted / rejected ratio

loads of people apply to the london unis compared to Scottish unis so offers are always going to be higher - that doesn't mean the course is better though
Reply 9
BossLady
The students applying to edin tend to have ABB or BBB etc prediction, or they will be using edin as more of a back up if they have higher.
LSE has lower offers (not for econ but for stuff like management) probs for all those international students(wants their ££££ lol) and it is a totally different ball game anyway. It can still command the best students with an offer like that, but most of them applicants will have straight As. The LSE is the LSE, as simple as that.
Much easier to get into Edinburgh for comp sci, than LSE for say Management (ABB).

I agree with all that you say here, but it doesn't make your "higher entry requirements = better course" argument any better.
Reply 10
okay so Oxford asks for AAA for say English, and TVU asks for something like EE for same subject, and from what you are suggesting they might be similar? I know this is much more extreme than imperial and edin of course, but if you are correct then they are similar...

The fact is, that typical grade offers do tend to indicate the strength of the course. There are exceptions, such as LSE's management, but as I said before, people will always be at the LSE. Plus, I am doubtful you would pretty much always get on the course with ABB prediciton, although it is their usual grade offer, you'll need at least AAB predicition. For edin, well, you probs will.
Although Edinburgh gives out a lot of BBB offers, many people exceed their grades; their average entry points are 26.6 which makes it the sixth highest uni in the country on that score.
Reply 12
BossLady
okay so Oxford asks for AAA for say English, and TVU asks for something like EE for same subject, and from what you are suggesting they might be similar? I know this is much more extreme than imperial and edin of course, but if you are correct then they are similar...

of course there's a correlation, but it's by no means direct, otherwise Oxford would be upto the AAAAAAAAA mark by now.
Reply 13
BossLady

well, the fact is, you don't know do you? obviously when grades are as far apart as EE and AAA, then you'd expect the quality of the courses to differ

just saying that you shouldn't be so short-sighted as to just look at grades required - they don't even tell half the story
Reply 14
fishpaste
of course there's a correlation, but it's by no means direct, otherwise Oxford would be upto the AAAAAAAAA mark by now.

You're clearly not going to get everything on a straight line with perfect plotting points, but you will get a reasonable set of data.
Reply 15
marabara
well, the fact is, you don't know do you? obviously when grades are as far apart as EE and AAA, then you'd expect the quality of the courses to differ

just saying that you shouldn't be so short-sighted as to just look at grades required - they don't even tell half the story

Well AAA and BBB are pretty far. Certainly the calibre of the students with each set will be quite different.
BTW i offered one argument, there are many more, grades required do tend to tell a good story though. If a uni asks for As and it has a not so good course, then nobody will go there and it will be forced to lower the grades and vice versa
Reply 16
BossLady
You're clearly not going to get everything on a straight line with perfect plotting points, but you will get a reasonable set of data.

If you were to go off it though you'd end up concluding that Law at Manchester was better than Law at the LSE because the grade boundaries were higher.
Reply 17
fishpaste
If you were to go off it though you'd end up concluding that Law at Manchester was better than Law at the LSE because the grade boundaries were higher.

No because the difference is just one grade higher, rather than three.
i'm predicted 5 A's and picked edinburgh because i liked the course and the city much better than any other uni in the UK. the reason edinburgh has lowered its offers to BBB in the last year from ABB is that they want to attract a more diverse range of students from a variety of backgrounds.
Reply 19
Im in a similar position to many of you, i.e. predicted straight A's, applied for comp sci, addicted to UKL so here's my take...

Firstly, higher enterance requirements does not mean a better course. Also it is fairly hard to define "better course" because what I consider to be the great comp sci courses (anything with reduced amounts of maths :wink: ) will be different to yours!!!

As for the best departments in the country I think they group something like this:

Cam & Imperial
-----------------
Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Warwick, Bath, Oxford
-----------------
St. Andrews, Southampton, Bristol, Notts, UCL
-----------------
Cardiff, Brum, Glasgow, L'borough, Reading

I probably disagree entirely with your opinions but...when does any one ever agree on anything?!? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending