Turn on thread page Beta

Moving to the states after graduation? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey, i hope you guys can help me and clear some things up for me

ive always wanted to move to the states as i just dont see myself living in the UK the rest of my life, i have an aunt over there (arizona) and went to visit the her recently and loved the place, i just prefer the american lifestyle over the UK.

but i was wondering how to go about relocating over there, i mean immigration and green card wise, i know it kinda complicated.

i was looking at getting a green card through family as my aunt is a US citizen, but i cant as thats only for 'immidiate' family and i dont fall into that catagory , my aunt already went through this process with my grandfather and it took her 11 years and $25,000 to get it all sorted, and thats with her father the most immidaite family you can get.

She advised me that the best way was to get a job with a company that has offices in the states and that they could help me with the greencard process and 'sponsor' me.
    But how do you go about getting that sort of job? i mean getting a job in the UK can be hard, so how do u go or were do you look for a job that can place you in the states?

Im currently doing a media and communications degree and finish in 2008, i was hoping that i could relocate once i finish.
    My aunt also told me that companies in the states like bilinguals (we both speak fluent spanish) as there is a large hispanic popullation so its really useful to know spanish and porspective companies like it.

Anybody else gone throgh the process of immigrating to the states that could advise me?
    As all the information is really confusing me, especially the immigration stuff

hope you guys can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcape101)
    hey, i hope you guys can help me and clear some things up for me

ive always wanted to move to the states as i just dont see myself living in the UK the rest of my life, i have an aunt over there (arizona) and went to visit the her recently and loved the place, i just prefer the american lifestyle over the UK.

but i was wondering how to go about relocating over there, i mean immigration and green card wise, i know it kinda complicated.

i was looking at getting a green card through family as my aunt is a US citizen, but i cant as thats only for 'immidiate' family and i dont fall into that catagory , my aunt already went through this process with my grandfather and it took her 11 years and $25,000 to get it all sorted, and thats with her father the most immidaite family you can get.

She advised me that the best way was to get a job with a company that has offices in the states and that they could help me with the greencard process and 'sponsor' me.
    But how do you go about getting that sort of job? i mean getting a job in the UK can be hard, so how do u go or were do you look for a job that can place you in the states?

Im currently doing a media and communications degree and finish in 2008, i was hoping that i could relocate once i finish.
    My aunt also told me that companies in the states like bilinguals (we both speak fluent spanish) as there is a large hispanic popullation so its really useful to know spanish and porspective companies like it.

Anybody else gone throgh the process of immigrating to the states that could advise me?
    As all the information is really confusing me, especially the immigration stuff

hope you guys can help
    Bogus marriage.

ReputationRep:
    monster.com
    careerbuilder.com
    craigslist.com

Depending on what type of job you're looking for, those websites are where the bulk of my graduating/graduated university friends have found work. Media and communications is REALLY competitive over here right now though. Like there are about 50 applicants per spot. So you have really got to be on your game to get into it in a high paying market. It's a little easier in smaller towns and stuff but it's a lot less glamorous.

California, New York and Illinois are going to be hot spots for your type of major. In California, look at San Francisco and Los Angeles. I can tell you anything you want to know about California. I've been living here for 4 years now and I've lived both near S.F. and L.A.

As for New York, New York City is where you'll look there. New Jersey too.

And in Illinois, take a look at the Chicago industries.

I've seen a lot in Atlanta, Georgia recently too.

CNN and Time Warner both look for media communications kids and have a lot of jobs available to recent grads. Take a look at their websites in addition to the ones I already mentioned and see if you come up with anything that looks good to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sporkaphobia)
    monster.com
    careerbuilder.com
    craigslist.com

Depending on what type of job you're looking for, those websites are where the bulk of my graduating/graduated university friends have found work. Media and communications is REALLY competitive over here right now though. Like there are about 50 applicants per spot. So you have really got to be on your game to get into it in a high paying market. It's a little easier in smaller towns and stuff but it's a lot less glamorous.
    And with 50 US applicants per spot companies are not exactly going to be falling over themselves to recruit a UK graduate involving $1000's in legal costs and months and months screwing around trying to get visas.

Simple fact is that Brits have very few opportunities to come to America unless they

a) marry a yank
    b) have very specialized skills that are in short supply in the US
    c) have a good dollop ($250k ish) of cash to invest in a business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    And with 50 US applicants per spot companies are not exactly going to be falling over themselves to recruit a UK graduate involving $1000's in legal costs and months and months screwing around trying to get visas.

Simple fact is that Brits have very few opportunities to come to America unless they

a) marry a yank
    b) have very specialized skills that are in short supply in the US
    c) have a good dollop ($250k ish) of cash to invest in a business
    Sadly, he's pretty accurate with his ABCs. Though... right now if you've been keeping tabs on the news at all, there is a LOT of unrest regarding immigration laws. There have been HUGE protests for the last several weeks. One here in Los Angeles involved students from 8 local high schools walking out DURING class marching down Interstate 101 (one of the busiest interstates in the entire nation) and stopping traffic there for hours.

I'm willing to bet that the near future is going to see more opportunity for people wanting to immigrate. But don't forget that you are still going to have to compete with all the americans AND immigrants in your field. Which, honestly, is hopping right now. If you are good though, people will definately give you a chance. But you have to do some major networking to make sure that you get to know those people.

It's tough but not impossible if you're determined and have the cajones to go for what you want. There are plenty of job opportunities here for those who want them. It might not be exactly what you want to do, but it's more than enough to support you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.