Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so copying and pasting text is plagarism......but i what if you find a good point in a text, reword it but essentially the idea/point is the same. Is that plagiarism?
    Im confused because, if u have a essay to write and you research it, your going to find loads of good points, so should it be fair to reword them in your style?
    Or are you ment to think of all ideas/points on your own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stud1_89)
    Ok, so copying and pasting text is plagarism......but i what if you find a good point in a text, reword it but essentially the idea/point is the same. Is that plagiarism?
    Im confused because, if u have a essay to write and you research it, your going to find loads of good points, so should it be fair to reword them in your style?

Well your work is input and the web is searched for anything (paragraphs, etc) that matches. You should write everything in your own words and I have forgotten now how long after you have completed your essay that the uni will keep it on file and use it against you should they ever find anything on it. Just read the material and write it into your own words, which should be fine. I know a few people who bought an essay only to find several had bought the same essay for the class, which ended pretty bad for those people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stud1_89)
    What is this for? In most cases, nobody expects you to come up with oroginal ideas so it is not plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    What if the markers use some phrases to find that they are on the internet, but the person who wrote them came up with them on their own? There are only a number of ways to write the same idea down.

Speaking of plagiarism, my sister got 0/10 for an essay she wrote. She said she got 'ideas' from the internet, more like she just copied bits. What made the teacher even more suspicious was that there were NO spelling mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    In short, if it's somebody elses idea or understanding, it's plagiarism. But if reworded... you'll never be caught

ReputationRep:
    The usual definition of plagiarism is, the use of 6 or more consecutive words from another source, which have not been attributed to the original author.

If you are rewording someone else's ideas, and for most undergraduates that would be the case, then you need to make absolutely sure that you attribute them.

In reality you will be taking someone else's ideas, attributing them and then commenting on them, giving your own interpretation, so plagarism should not be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    You can always make a bibliography.

ReputationRep:
    well i havnt got any essays to do at the moment. But i was wondering if u took the time to research and read multiple sources, even if some are esssays. It should not be a problem to make the points 'simpler' and in to your style.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.