Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

I have an interview as an accounts assistant (yay me!), however I have been told my interview will consist of a 25min face-to-face and a twenty-five minute Excel based test!!!!!!!

I don't currently work with Excel, or any Windows based accounts packages, I use SAP. I used Excel for some basic work during my degrees, but nothing since (I use it to keep a call log and that's about it!).

Does anyone have any idea what this might involve and what I should brush up on? Pivot tables are an almost certainty, but I am not sure what else.

Thanks all!

IQ x
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Hi all,

I have an interview as an accounts assistant (yay me!), however I have been told my interview will consist of a 25min face-to-face and a twenty-five minute Excel based test!!!!!!!

I don't currently work with Excel, or any Windows based accounts packages, I use SAP. I used Excel for some basic work during my degrees, but nothing since (I use it to keep a call log and that's about it!).

Does anyone have any idea what this might involve and what I should brush up on? Pivot tables are an almost certainty, but I am not sure what else.

Thanks all!

IQ x
If you can do pivot tables you're probably already at a pretty solid standard!

I really have no idea what they will ask but as long as you know your basic functions (sum, product, count etc.), can draw and interpret suitable graphs, can work with tables (pivot or otherwise) and do basic formatting to make things look half-decent then you should be okay.

If it's only a 25 minute test I doubt they'll get as far as macros or anything fun like that.
Ice_Queen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
If you can do pivot tables you're probably already at a pretty solid standard!

I really have no idea what they will ask but as long as you know your basic functions (sum, product, count etc.), can draw and interpret suitable graphs, can work with tables (pivot or otherwise) and do basic formatting to make things look half-decent then you should be okay.

If it's only a 25 minute test I doubt they'll get as far as macros or anything fun like that.
I can't do pivot tables :-P I have a friend who uses it daily who is going to teach me how to do them! I just wondered if anyone had some experience or could make a good guess :-P Thank you for your help!

IQ x

Posted from TSR Mobile
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would think it'll be the basic sort of stuff, unless the job advert specified intermediate or advanced knowledge.

I occasionally train people in Excel at work, Hedgeman has covered much of what you'll need and is probably right that it won't run as deep as macros and whatnot. Depending on what the job entails, you might need to add some of these:

Vlookup
Hlookup
If
Sumif
Countif
Special pasting (seems basic but not everyone seems to know much about this)
Essential formatting menus (e.g. cell types - again, they're quite basic but it's worth familiarising yourself with custom fields, etc)
Sorting and filtering
Tokyoround
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Iferror is another one you might want to familiarise yourself with.

I wouldn't stress too much though, assuming this is an entry-level position, not many candidates will have amazing Excel skills. They'd be happy if you can complete >50% of the spreadsheet. I once interviewed for an junior analyst role, I got 75% and the other candidates got 10%-30%, none of them even knew how to do lookups. You'd be surprised how many people lack basic excel knowledge.
M1011
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you can 'vlookup' and write an 'IF statement' then you can literally achieve anything in Excel. The world will be yours for the taking.
at12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i have a management accounting work based test coming up, have no idea if it is excel based, but is pivot tables, vlookup and IF functions all i really need to know?
EmptyBracket
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have one too, I have been using this.. amazing free Excel training website with videos and workbooks. Take a look: http://excelexposure.com/

(Original post by at12)
i have a management accounting work based test coming up, have no idea if it is excel based, but is pivot tables, vlookup and IF functions all i really need to know?
ReqMT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had an excel test when I was applying for my internship. Mines was 15minutes and consisted of pivot tables, Vlookups, SUMIF as the main questions, and smaller tasks like rearranging columns, filtering info etc. Not too bad if you look at some excel stuff online beforehand.
exceltutorial
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=Ice_Queen;39898251]

Excel Interview Questions with answers that help you learning excel and make you expertise in this field.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.77%
No (502)
66.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed