theepicpowner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys this question is probs often asked, but how is the nightlife in Edinburgh? And how far is the main campus from all the action? Is it easy to commute in all times of the day to town and to the accomadation? Next, do most people leave to a student house in there second year, is it wild :P?
And finally, I heard that Heriot-watt is ranked second for the university with most sex, any commenst?
Thanks
MissBetBet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Someone answer them.. i want to know too.
prayforbetterdays
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
More clubs than London

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Steellio14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a Heriot-Watt student. The nightlife in Edinburgh is really good and it is extremely easy to get into town from here. During the day there is a bus at least every 10 mins into the city centre and it takes about 30-40 mins. I quite enjoy the bus journey though The great thing about Heriot-Watt is you have everything at your fingertips. I can leave the halls ten minutes before a lecture starts and still get there on time! Other unis halls are far from the city centre and have no bus stops nearby. The sports centre is extremely handy and it's helped me get fit as you can decide last minute to go to the gym without having to get bus etc. I would definitely recommend staying in halls first year to everyone - it's the best way to meet people and all my best friends live a few doors down! As for the most sex - not sure how that was calculated but pretty sure it's bulls***!!
theepicpowner
Rep:
?
Wow OK that's great! What about the prices are people likely to spend more than a 20 a night? And does the bus stop after a certain time?
Steellio14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on how much you drink! The bus back is £3 after midnight from town but if you budget it's ok. I've actually spent a lot less than I had thought I would! There are buses the whole night through what are you thinking of studying?
theepicpowner
Rep:
?
Well for the first few weeks I'm not really thinking of studying :P
But if I ever get round it, I am thinking of taking a Computer science course.
And is freshers any good?
Steellio14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cool Freshers' was pretty good but it's best for getting to know people and getting used to life in halls. I would definitely recommend Heriot-Watt though - the campus is so good and you have everything you need
MissBetBet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it a big uni? Compared to Lancaster and QUB maybe? How green is it? I live cycling so are there any parks that I could or maybe cycle to town?
The one huge worry I had is that on the Which? website it says out of herriot watts students nearly half are postgraduate, and half are over 21. Does this mean it's all locals who want a degree later in life? ?
And there was a lot of negative feedback on the clarity of lectures and clarity of work set etc..
I want to study maths so I don't know if it would apply for me.
I live in Essex south England if that helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inlineadam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MissBetBet)
Is it a big uni? Compared to Lancaster and QUB maybe? How green is it? I live cycling so are there any parks that I could or maybe cycle to town?
The one huge worry I had is that on the Which? website it says out of herriot watts students nearly half are postgraduate, and half are over 21. Does this mean it's all locals who want a degree later in life? ?
And there was a lot of negative feedback on the clarity of lectures and clarity of work set etc..
I want to study maths so I don't know if it would apply for me.
I live in Essex south England if that helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compared to some universities it's not big in terms of numbers. Approx 10k students or so.

Think of Heriot Watt as a university dumped in the middle of a park... The whole campus is surrounded by trees/greenery and it's absolutely massive. There are plenty of tracks for you to cycle on.

I don't know where you get the "negative feedback on clarity of lectures".

Heriot Watt is the:

-Sunday Times University of the Year ( for the 2nd year running )
#1 In Scotland by NSS
#5 In UK by NSS

The NSS ( National Student Survey ) as it sounds, is a survey of students. The students give their views on their university and covers everything.

That tells you all you need to know. The teaching at Heriot Watt is amongst the best in the UK.
MissBetBet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Inlineadam)
Compared to some universities it's not big in terms of numbers. Approx 10k students or so.

Think of Heriot Watt as a university dumped in the middle of a park... The whole campus is surrounded by trees/greenery and it's absolutely massive. There are plenty of tracks for you to cycle on.

I don't know where you get the "negative feedback on clarity of lectures".

Heriot Watt is the:

-Sunday Times University of the Year ( for the 2nd year running )
#1 In Scotland by NSS
#5 In UK by NSS

The NSS ( National Student Survey ) as it sounds, is a survey of students. The students give their views on their university and covers everything.

That tells you all you need to know. The teaching at Heriot Watt is amongst the best in the UK.
Well that's a tad of an exaggeration and we all know it...
Straight off the website was it?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually, in the above hypothetical situation, quite a lot of companies up here would probably take the Heriot Watt graduate given how strong its links are with local industry, and also that many of the people making such decisions are likely to be Heriot Watt alumni themselves.

However, I would first and foremost say that the above situation is so hypothetical that it's completely irrelevant as you never get two identical candidates applying for a graduate job. The reality is that you have more like 50+ candidates applying for each position and various techniques (e.g. psychometric testing, phone interviews, face to face interviews) are utilised to whittle down the numbers to maybe 2 or 3 for each position, where the candidates will be assessed via a graduate assessment centre.
theepicpowner
Rep:
?
Guys guys, how is this relevant to the orignal question just stfu and talk about party, worry about the degrees later X)
Mg94.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What are the parties in Halls like, right enough?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.38%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (263)
58.84%
No (151)
33.78%

Watched Threads