Turn on thread page Beta

Maths Joke! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    e^x was at a party, sitting alone in a corner.
    "Why don't you integrate yourself into the party?" asked x^2.

"It wouln't make any difference, I'm always the same"

-----------

haha. Add yours, if you have any.

ReputationRep:
    Let epsilon be < 0

--

^ shortest maths joke. I always wanted to know why that was so funny. That's why I eventually decided to do Maths at uni. Now that I know (or I think I know), it's not that funny. Please, do not make the same mistake I made.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the square root of 69?

8 something.

ReputationRep:
    The integral of e^x is equal to the function u^n. Write it all out..

ReputationRep:
    Sorny, you dirty little...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockelinho)
    Let epsilon be < 0

--

^ shortest maths joke. I always wanted to know why that was so funny. That's why I eventually decided to do Maths at uni. Now that I know (or I think I know), it's not that funny. Please, do not make the same mistake I made.
    what's funny? I don't think I get it is it just that any proof beginning with that invariably has epsilon > 0?

ReputationRep:
    Since when has maths ever been funny?

ReputationRep:
    Let epsilon be < 0

--

I do maths at Uni and still don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manga)
    e^x was at a party, sitting alone in a corner.
    "Why don't you integrate yourself into the party?" asked x^2.

"It wouln't make any difference, I'm always the same"

-----------

haha. Add yours, if you have any.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ^o) :hmmm: :dontknow: :frown: :frown: :nospam: :grr: :motz: :bebored:

Bubba Roars: NOT FUNNY...WHERE IS MY WOODEN BAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    what's funny? I don't think I get it is it just that any proof beginning with that invariably has epsilon > 0?
    Yes, well that's what I think anyway.

I've seen this joke posted a dozen times. I think the people who post it like to pretend it's funny cos:

a) Most people won't get it since they haven't done higher level maths
    b) They're bitter since the dude that posted it before them said it was funny...and then they themselves realised it was not. This invariably stems back to the olden days when the original mathmos were making up maths jokes. Maybe this was the height of humour a few hundred years ago. Or maybe they just wanted to piss off non-mathematicians as in part a)

I was conned.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww Mockíúlin, :hugs:
    More Math jokes:
    Some reasons why I didn't do my homework.
    1) Isaac Newton's Birthday
    2) I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.
    3) I was watching the World Series and got tied up trying to prove it converged.
    4) I took a break for a coffee and a doughnut but couldn't decide which one to dunk.
    5) I locked my work in my briefcase but a 4-dimensional dog got in and ate it.
    6) I swear I put my work in a Klein bottle but the next morning I couldn't find it.

There were 4 more hanging around which I forget, but those are my faves; 5) always makes me smile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSornia)
    More Math jokes:
    3) I was watching the World Series and got tied up trying to prove it converged.
    4) I took a break for a coffee and a doughnut but couldn't decide which one to dunk.
    6) I swear I put my work in a Klein bottle but the next morning I couldn't find it.

There were 4 more hanging around which I forget, but those are my faves; 5) always makes me smile
    :toofunny: Definately the best maths joke I've seen yet.

ReputationRep:
    Let epsilon be < 0

--

Because epsilon is always positive? Please tell me there's more to it than that, otherwise I'm going to spend the rest of today feeling sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    What the other dude said...every proof starts off with let epsilon > 0

I THINK that's the joke!

:'(

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even make it up as well... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...est+maths+joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    :toofunny: Definately the best maths joke I've seen yet.
    :withstupi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSornia)
    More Math jokes:

*remembers number 5*

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even make it up as well... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...est+maths+joke
    The fifth result down explains it:

"People have been asking me for an explanation of the joke. Here goes. The basis of it is that fact that |epsilon| > 0 frequently appears in delta-epsilon proofs, and in other math too I would guess. The pun in |epsilon| < 0 is that, though it looks almost like |epsilon| > 0, which is legitimate, an absolute value cannot be less than 0. That is, |x| means the absolute value of x, which means remove the sign from x, make it positive. Thus while |epsilon| < 0 at first glance (and second glance) looks perfectly normal, after a moment, math nerds notice that it is completely impossible and nonsensical, which to me is the irony which makes it funny. There, I've dissected it, you happy now? :-D"

Erm...:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    ooooooh so mockhelino even told it wrong! Basically, for non-maths types, the joke is that modulus epsilon is less than zero. However, the modulus indicates that epsilon must be a positive value, and there are no positive numbers which equal less than zero :. epslion has no value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    ooooooh so mockhelino even told it wrong! Basically, for non-maths types, the joke is that modulus epsilon is less than zero. However, the modulus indicates that epsilon must be a positive value, and there are no positive numbers, which equal less than zero :. epslion has no value.
    And somehow that is hilarious. :hmmmm:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.