Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Philosophy Reading for PPE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully going to apply for PPE Oxford later this year. Currently taking AS's in Maths + Further (5modules), Economics, History, Geography and Critical Thinking. Ive always been ineterested in philosophy, but didnt continue for AS. Can anyone recommend any good reading for philosophy, in preparation for an application.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do a search on the Oxford forum, there's lots of this sort of advice.

Good intros, from the top of my head:

Sophie's World - Gaarder, love it or hate it, the narrative can be annoying but it was responsible for getting a lot of people into philosophy for the first time.
    What Does it All Mean? - Nagel, short, avoids baggage of '-isms', gets to grips with the real problems at the core of philosophy.
    101 Philosophy Problems - Cohen
    101 Ethical Dilemmas - Cohen, both interesting books that tackle philosophy by looking at individual puzzles/problems. Interesting just to pick up and look through a few at a time.
    Think - Blackburn, very well written introduction, but about 2/3rds of the way through it gets quite heavy - don't worry if it's too much.

If you're interested in philosophy, it might be worth getting a copy of Russell's History of Western Philosophy. He does a chapter on each major philosopher, and the chapters are distinct from one another; you can read the ones you're interested in individually, so don't be daunted by the book's size. Try reading one of the classics, and then read Russell's chapter on it, best way to increase your understanding of it. Classics I'd recommend:

Meditations on First Philosophy (Descartes), very short, very important, "I think .'. I am" etc
    The Republic (Plato), you don't need to read all of it, surprisingly easy to read, ties strongly into politics as well.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford does a lot of Mill in the first year as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.