The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Sucks...

Sixth form sucks. Not because of the work or anything, but because my social life and friends is basically non existant. Briefly put I go to a single sex private school, so I guess things are a bit different, I don't know it's all I've ever known. I've never had an easy time making friends, I used to have so much confidence and be able to talk to anyone easily. A couple of years ago rumors started going around about me, and that thwarted my confidence. After that happened I lost my confidence to talk to people completely. I since have built it back slowly and I feel I am able to talk to some people, whilst I just shy away and ignore others if I'm worried about what they might say about me (these are usually the people who I thought were responsible for helping with the rumors).

By year 11 it got to the stage where I had some friends and I can talk to almost everyone, but I'm not close with anyone, I know everyone, talk to most, but I don't know anyone igreat depth, I'm friendly with anyone, but not great friends. I used to ocassionaly do some social things with a couple of people but I never get invited to anything at all anymore.

I guessed when I started Sixth form things would change, people would mature and it would be easier to talk to people and maybe make friends with new people joining the school (only a couple of people joined my school so that doesn't exactly work and I never see them). But nothing has changed, I see people on Facebook posting about all the social things they've done with eachother and going out more and having a good time now theyre in sixth form, but none of thats happened to me I don't get invited to anything, maybe because I don't know anyone well enough. It makes me feel so depressed.

Anyway I hope you persevered reading that, sorry I rambled on a bit too much there.

I guess I'm just a bit sad that my social life and lack of friends hasn't changed much at all since I've started sixth form and I guess I falsely thought it would. Is there anything I can do to change my situation or is it just too late now?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
I don't talk too much people either outside school, in school I hang with the same crowd and get home and study so it kinda sucks in a way but kinda doesn't since im not tied down to anything else so I can study whenever I want.
I feel the same way as you. I tend to shy away from others and everyone sees me as a loner. I know I have to get myself out thereand get involved but I don't which is annoying. I don't know if it's too late now... people would be sticking in their groups by now.
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
I don't talk too much people either outside school, in school I hang with the same crowd and get home and study so it kinda sucks in a way but kinda doesn't since im not tied down to anything else so I can study whenever I want.

That's good in a way I suppose as at least you can still study, I find with me thoug, that my lack of social interaction is making me so down lately that It doesn't push me to do any work or studying, its such a bad circle.

And I'm just worried now that if I go to university how the heck am I gonna fit in and make friends... Argh life sucks
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I feel the same way as you. I tend to shy away from others and everyone sees me as a loner. I know I have to get myself out thereand get involved but I don't which is annoying. I don't know if it's too late now... people would be sticking in their groups by now.

I know what youmean, I feel it would be really hard to meet new people, especailly now that everyone is in their roup, they're not interested in making new friends :frown:
Reply 6
just work hard .... true friends will come one day along the line
Reply 7
I used to be in a similar situation, but then gradually opportunities come along to meet new people, and then I made a some good, close friends. It's just a matter of waiting until it happens :smile:
I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation though!
Reply 8
Original post by M^2012
I used to be in a similar situation, but then gradually opportunities come along to meet new people, and then I made a some good, close friends. It's just a matter of waiting until it happens :smile:
I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation though!

Thanks for the encouragement, I take it though that you met more people out of school, as I don't really see me getting a chance to meet new people inside of school :s-smilie: Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Takeajourney
Thanks for the encouragement, I take it though that you met more people out of school, as I don't really see me getting a chance to meet new people inside of school :s-smilie: Thanks anyway :smile:

No, I met people inside school :smile:

I just hadn't got to know them before
I had this problem in yr 12, I barely spoke to anyone and I never got invited to an parties or anything like that until the very end of the year. It is still quite early in the year so just try talking to people more in sixth form and don't just talk to a small group of people. If more people know you to say hi, they are more likely to invite you too events. I didn't start going out properly until year 13. Don't worry about it and just start talking to people more :smile:
Don't let it get you down I'm a loner and even though it's sad :frown: I accept that but if your talking to people and there not insulting you making rumours or anything else then there your friends. I'm in year 11 so I can't speak from a sixth form point of view but I got enough experience to know thing's will get better and maybe have for you don't let thing people say put you down. :smile:
Sixth form sucks. Not because of the work or anything, but because my social life and friends is basically non existant. Briefly put I go to a single sex private school, so I guess things are a bit different, I don't know it's all I've ever known. I've never had an easy time making friends, I used to have so much confidence and be able to talk to anyone easily. A couple of years ago rumors started going around about me, and that thwarted my confidence. After that happened I lost my confidence to talk to people completely. I since have built it back slowly and I feel I am able to talk to some people, whilst I just shy away and ignore others if I'm worried about what they might say about me (these are usually the people who I thought were responsible for helping with the rumors).

By year 11 it got to the stage where I had some friends and I can talk to almost everyone, but I'm not close with anyone, I know everyone, talk to most, but I don't know anyone igreat depth, I'm friendly with anyone, but not great friends. I used to ocassionaly do some social things with a couple of people but I never get invited to anything at all anymore.

I guessed when I started Sixth form things would change, people would mature and it would be easier to talk to people and maybe make friends with new people joining the school (only a couple of people joined my school so that doesn't exactly work and I never see them). But nothing has changed, I see people on Facebook posting about all the social things they've done with eachother and going out more and having a good time now theyre in sixth form, but none of thats happened to me I don't get invited to anything, maybe because I don't know anyone well enough. It makes me feel so depressed.

Anyway I hope you persevered reading that, sorry I rambled on a bit too much there.

I guess I'm just a bit sad that my social life and lack of friends hasn't changed much at all since I've started sixth form and I guess I falsely thought it would. Is there anything I can do to change my situation or is it just too late now?

I had shallow friendships for most of sixth form, and in the last half of A2, particularly in the last few months I managed to develop new friendships naturally with a group of friends who it seems we'll always be keeping in touch, I never saw it coming and didn't even try, so you just have to find common ground with random people in your classes, have a laugh and you never know what could end up happening
guys isn't this thread from 2012:wink:
Original post by pizzad0gs
guys isn't this thread from 2012:wink:

Oh gosh why do people bring these old ones up, I never check dates! xD

I think its too late because I knew a girl who left school last year and she hasn't had a friend for five years or more and she tried to be more confident and stuff it didn't work. shes in college now but not sure how shes getting on. I think they probably leave you out because they don't really know you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending