Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Howdy all. I'm pretty new to these boards, have been lurking around for a while but just now posted since I got my acceptance letter from St. Andrews on Monday.

I wanted to say hi to everyone I'll be seeing next fall and I hope I can get to know some of you before I start up. Right now I'm living in southern california finishing up film school. When I start at St. Andrews, I'll be going into the postgrad program for Marketing. Don't let that stop any of you undergrads from saying hello though because I've got plenty of friends who are a lot younger than me and I love all of them.

My purpose in posting though is to try and find out if anyone knows what the outdoor life is like at St. Andrews. I'm a big fan of both kayaking and hiking but I'm not really sure what the area is like and if I'll get to keep up with those things. Is is good for inline skating? Biking? (And yes, I am aware of the golf situation so no one needs to fill me in on that. I suck at golf, sadly, and probably won't partake much in that aspect of life in St. Andrews)

Also, this might sound really odd, but what is the shark situation like. As in Jaws. I know it's on the sea but I'm not sure if there are sharks up there and every person is allowed one totally irrational fear and sharks happen to be mine. I just try to not think about the fact that a great white could be cruising under me when I do my kayaking in the Pacific.

Any info that you all could pass on to me would be appreciated. And anyone just wanting to say hi and maybe work in getting to know each other before the school year gets going should feel free to message me or hire a plane to do some sky writing as a greeting. Whatever floats your kayak.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe there are any large dangerous sharks in the North Sea. Having a quick check it's only the small ones which just prey on Salmon, but apparently they are just near Norway.

As for Kayaking i'm sure there is some form of club, and the rest of the activities probably take part through a club or through the sports facilities.

ReputationRep:
    there are sailing (not sure about kayaking), biking (mainly road cycling it seems but I do know of a few Mbikers) and hiking societies.. you can join them at the fresher's fair.

inline skating is probabably ok if you go on the cycle paths... town has a lot of cobblestones, so possibly not great.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.