Turn on thread page Beta

Roman Law or Introduction to Law ? Advice needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    Do Roman law, it's way better than intro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohbear)
    Could anyone at Oxford advise me on which of these two you would recommend ?
    The factors I am interested in are ( in descending order of importance )
    1. How interesting the material is
    2. Amount of reading required
    3. Difficulty of the material.
    4. Relevance of the material
    5. Relative difficulty in obtaining a Distinction.

I have looked at the material in the undergraduate law handbook at http://denning.law.ox.ac.uk/published/ughandbook.pdf I have done Latin ( but note that" No Latin is needed, nor is Latin an advantage" for Roman Law.) I have already done some law in Australia and have done the usual Australian Introductory Law subjects.

I am keen to get a Distinction in the mods ( if I can do that without going mad or completely ruining my social life )
    I have read the latest BA examiners report at http://denning.law.ox.ac.uk/published/modsexam.pdf and note that in 2005 18% (25 ) of those doing Roman Law obtained Distinctions while 21% (21) of those doing Intro obtained Distinctions. I also note that, Roman Law appears more popular with 139 doing it while only 100 did Introduction to Law.
    You might not get a choice, your college might choose for you. Mine did- did Roman which is interesting from a historical perspective and you can see how it's influenced legal systems today. However, I'm told Intro has some overlap with Constit so you can use the stuff you learn for 2 topics! :-)

ReputationRep:
    I asked about this at my interview (Lincoln college). The prof said that Lincoln was considering changing the system so that everyone took a new course, which was mostly introduction to law as he thought that was the best option. I think he called it 'An introduction to law including Roman law'.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford was considering merging the two courses into one so that you study something along the lines of "History of the origins of English law", however, they instead decided to simply abolish Introduction to Law. This takes effect either this year or next year, I'm not sure which. As a result first years will study Roman, Constit and Crim and not have a choice.

I'm not sure if this would affect your choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Cambridge, so I don't get the choice. But I would say that Roman is pretty interesting, with not too bad a workload. I've enjoyed it anyway! Have fun at 'The Other Place'!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.