Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what to do here..:confused:

On an Argand diagram draw vectors representing z and w
    where 0<argz<pi/2 and -pi/2<argw<0

Hence, show clearly on your Argand diagram the following stating whether you are reffering to a vector, a length or an angle.
    a) -z (b) conjugate of z (c)z-w ...etc etc...

So, with the first part, would I just shade in the area between 0 and pi/2 and label it as arg z?

Another thing I don't understand is;
    Let z=x+iy, where x and y are real numbers.
    a) show that there are 3 non-zero complex numbers that satisfy the equation conjugate or z=z^2
    I expanded it out, and got...
    x-iy=(x+iy)^2
    x-iy=x^2 +2iyx+y^2
    Not sure where to go from there.

Hey,

I've attached an image of how your argand diagram should look. Things to note are:

1) arg(z) is simply the angle the vector to the complex number subtends ANTI-CLOCKWISE from the +ve x-axis. So if arg(z) is between 0 and pi/2. All this means is that the complex number has to lie in the top-right quadrant. So you can put it anywhere in +ve x, +ve y region.

2) arg(w) is between -pi/2 and 0, so it has to be in the lower-right quadrant of +ve x, -ve y. It's a negative argument because this angle is being measured clockwise from the x-axis.

3) Conjugate of z is z*. So if z = x + iy, z* = x - iy i.e. reflect it in the x-axis.

4) Negative of z is -z. So just make x+iy into -x-iy.

5) When adding complex numbers, use the head-to-tail rule for adding vectors z+w, and just add their components. When subtracting, use the head-to-tail rule again, but this time do z+(-w).

6) The magnitude of a vector |z| is simply it's length, sqrt(x^2 + y^2).

I don't understand the second part of your question though. Are you sure you've typed it correctly?

z* = z^2 means the conjugate of z equals a number with double z's length and twice z's argument. But by definition |z| = |z*| and arg(z*) = -arg(z), so I don't really see any solution, let alone three!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your help Worzo! You even went to the trouble of drawing a diagram!

I'm pretty sure I typed the secodn question correctly. But here's what the question actually looks like anyway, just incase...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    For z = x +iy the equation z* = z^2 is equivalent to

x - iy = x^2 + 2ixy - y^2

Equate real and imaginaries

x = x^2 - y^2
    2xy = -y

Solve to give four solutions

x = 0, y = 0
    x = 1, y = 0
    x = -1/2, y = sqrt(3)/2
    x = -1/2, y = -sqrt(3)/2

three of which give rise to nonzero z.

Of course, mikesgt2 - I thought z^2 meant zz*, and so got confused because the question was asking z*, a complex number = zz*, a real length. Having a mare.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.