Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    heya, just wondering if anyone on here has, or is planning on, volunteering in the UK, either part time or full time?

how did you find it, good points and bad? why in the UK and not abroad as the emphasis seems to be on volunteering abroad? do you think you lost out at all? and what kind of things did you do?

in particular anyone volunteer with CSV, or have an opinion on them? www.csv.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    I did!! I did it with Millenium Volunteers, which is a part of CSV. I volunteered with a brownie pack in my area. When I volunteered I had an placemebt sorted, but if you don't, they will interview you and find out what sort of thing you want, what you are hoping to gain from it etc. Then they will send you timesheets that you fill in and get your supervisor to sign and after you have done 50, then 100 then 200 hours, you get a certificate for it. Also, Millenium Volunteers who I took part with run information days which are helpful to you. I went to an improve your CV day with them, and it was so useful. So by taking part you get loads back.

ReputationRep:
    i'm assuming MVing is a part-time thing then? that sounds quite interesting, although i'm not sure there'll be much in my area. especially while i'm working full time.

has anyone done UK, full-time, live-away-from-home volunteering?

ReputationRep:
    try here for a bit of info, and maybe a couple of ppl you could contact to ask more questions:

http://www.gapyear.com/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=4560

hth, Cez x

ReputationRep:
    i wana do a csv course ive herd that u can get into the bbc any1 know anythin?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    CSV are highly disorganised. I was going to volunteer with them last year, and went for an interview. They said the people who travelled furthest would be seen first, and then proceeded to interview everyone who came from Birmingham first. Then, they never actually got back to me with a placement despite assuring me every time I phoned that there was a really great one matching my skills lined up.

They also recommend you do a minimum of 6 months, even though all their literature says you can do 4.

ReputationRep:
    I was interested to read this as I was also disappointed by the email they sent me in reply to some questions. It's not totally put me off though...

Does anyone know how much choice you have in the placement? Like, can I ask to work in a specific field or can I specify a preferred location?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by stockholm)
    I was interested to read this as I was also disappointed by the email they sent me in reply to some questions. It's not totally put me off though...

Does anyone know how much choice you have in the placement? Like, can I ask to work in a specific field or can I specify a preferred location?
    You can't pick a location, and from what they said they deliberately send you somewhere that isn't close to home. You do get to choose roughly what you do, but it is a bit vague, like you can work "with children", "in prisons", that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, the comments are making me think twice about CSV, and 4 months minimum seems to long for what i would want.

incase anyone's interested... http://www.volunteering.org.uk/iwant...iesintheuk.htm

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.