Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Employment with Big 4 or a Master Degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,

I hope that my thread will be interesting for many ppl ! Iam about to graduate with BA Business Administration (First Class i hope) next month and now wondering what to do with the rest of my life. I basically have two options: to get employment with Big 4 company (i hope I have this option) or to go to do Master degree.... the thing is that in Big4 in my country there is not Capital Markets unit (where I would prefer to work), but only Audit and Consulting...
    So , folks, what you can suggest to me ? Should I get work experience first and then go to a reputable BSchool abroad, or I should straightaway go to do a master degree (but to a less reputable school) ??

Thanks in advance and Good Luck to All with admissions!

ReputationRep:
    Masters at less reputable schools are usually pointless in terms of finding a job. At a good masters you would benefit from the recruitment efforts employers have at those (very few) targeted universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WIUT)
    Dear All,

I hope that my thread will be interesting for many ppl ! Iam about to graduate with BA Business Administration (First Class i hope) next month and now wondering what to do with the rest of my life. I basically have two options: to get employment with Big 4 company (i hope I have this option) or to go to do Master degree.... the thing is that in Big4 in my country there is not Capital Markets unit (where I would prefer to work), but only Audit and Consulting...
    So , folks, what you can suggest to me ? Should I get work experience first and then go to a reputable BSchool abroad, or I should straightaway go to do a master degree (but to a less reputable school) ??

Thanks in advance and Good Luck to All with admissions!
    Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial all offer good masters so it depends what you you call good masters.
    If it's masters of management and MBA's you are talking about then that's another story. Cambridge and LSE have good ones. Imperial, Warwick Cass and Bath as well.
    You are not likely to get into IB if the UK if you don't have a UK degree, so you might consider.
    And yes, doing some work experience and then do an MBA is not a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    You are not likely to get into IB if the UK if you don't have a UK degree, so you might consider.
    That is a complete lie, you don't know what you are talking about. A significant proportion of people in IB in the UK come from universities all over Europe and the rest of the world. Investment Banks seek talented people, not talented British people and since most IBs only have major operations in a only few places globally (such as London, New York, Tokyo, etc.) they have many "foreign" staff who didn't go to Uni in the native country.

Indeed.

Most people in the UK IB offices don't have a UK degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defiantshrimp)
    That is a complete lie, you don't know what you are talking about. A significant proportion of people in IB in the UK come from universities all over Europe and the rest of the world. Investment Banks seek talented people, not talented British people and since most IBs only have major operations in a only few places globally (such as London, New York, Tokyo, etc.) they have many "foreign" staff who didn't go to Uni in the native country.
    Calm down. I do aknowledge non UK degrees have equal chances to get into IB. I myself have none UK bachelors + masters. However, if the guy comes with an Uzbek degree and will apply for a job in IB in London, it seems logical that he is better off with a good degree from a notorious university (US or EU and if the later, the best would be a good UK degree).

ReputationRep:
    I actually think they'll really value someone with an excellent degree with Uzbek, because of his experience and non-traditional perpesctive on day-to-day issues.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    And yes, doing some work experience and then do an MBA is not a bad idea.
    Yep, I've heard that MBAs were much more valued when they were done after a few years' work experience.

ReputationRep:
    a notorious university??

ReputationRep:
    his translation screwed up a bit there :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.J.A)
    his translation screwed up a bit there :P
    tier 1, ivy, you get the idea

ReputationRep:
    Guyz, thanks a lot for your replies and discussion !
    I actually got a UK degree from University of Westminter But, as you all know, not quiet a reputable one , but still a UK degree ..... I also tend to think that some year of work experience in Big 4 will be for benefit, but then will I stand a chance to go to IB ?

ReputationRep:
    you could work for a year at a big 4 firm (home or abroad), and then apply for a masters in europe (russia maybe?)

that should be enough to get you an interview...

ReputationRep:
    if your going to do a year of experience in the big four, you may as well make it 3 and get your ACA out of it which is a great qualification to have, and then try to make the move into IB.

ReputationRep:
    ACA is what ? is it like CPA (Certified Public Accountant in my country) ? But I was always dreaming of working in Finance, Asset Management, etc....not in an accounting or audit..... should I just forgot about my dreams if dont have a good degree+experience+rich farther+etc ???:mad:

ReputationRep:
    stop being so depressive...it's contageous

btw ACA is the most recognized professional accounting qualification

(as i said, have you ever thought of doing a postgrad in russia?)

ReputationRep:
    :suitd: :suith:
    (Original post by R.J.A)
    stop being so depressive...it's contageous

btw ACA is the most recognized professional accounting qualification

(as i said, have you ever thought of doing a postgrad in russia?)

Yes, I was thinking of going to Russia and my native language is Russian by the way But, the reputation of russia schools is not as high of UKs, thats why Iam in doubt....:suitc:

ReputationRep:
    atm it seems like you are a bit indecisive, so would you take a year out after graduating to look at all the options? you could do a year's work at home (it could count towards the ACA which you can finish off later), and then visit a few universities which interest you (in uk,russia or europe)

it wouldn't be good if you rushed a decision and ended up regretting it...

ReputationRep:
    Hate to make these sweeping judgements, but Russian unis can hardly be compared with British/American/European ones in terms of prestige. Wouldn't know about teaching though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.J.A)
    atm it seems like you are a bit indecisive, so would you take a year out after graduating to look at all the options? you could do a year's work at home (it could count towards the ACA which you can finish off later), and then visit a few universities which interest you (in uk,russia or europe)

it wouldn't be good if you rushed a decision and ended up regretting it...

But you know, the Embassy will never ever give me a Visa just to go to see the universities in uk or europe Hard to imagine, but it is a reality of "being citizen of Uzbekistan".....:suitd:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.