Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im 18, currently at uni and only working during the hols, should i still be taxed on my income (have part time job at local club) as im still in full time education. On this weeks paycheck i got over £50 taken off in tax (i only ended up with £135 wages). If I can claim back the tax what forms do I need and how do I get hold of them? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny316)
    Go to you're uni and request a council tax certificate.. They will give you a form to fill and once you have done that they should issue you with the certificate in a week's time. Then you should send that certificate to your local council. Once you've done that you won't have to pay tax anymore until you leave full time education. Hope this helps
    :cool:
    That is a load of crap, yes students don't have to pay council tax but they still have to pay income tax just like anybody else depending on their earnings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    That is a load of crap, yes students don't have to pay council tax but they still have to pay income tax just like anybody else depending on their earnings.
    OK Geeky moderator...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny316)
    OK Geeky moderator...
    :rofl:

You didn't have to delete that post of yours BTW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    :rofl:

You didn't have to delete that post of yours BTW.
    Nobody likes to talk about tax, so delete the whole thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca28)
    Im 18, currently at uni and only working during the hols, should i still be taxed on my income (have part time job at local club) as im still in full time education. On this weeks paycheck i got over £50 taken off in tax (i only ended up with £135 wages). If I can claim back the tax what forms do I need and how do I get hold of them? Thanks

They'll steal it from you now, but at the end of the tax year if you havent earnt over a certain amount you'll get it all back in a nice cheque. You could always ring and check your tax code also.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have this problem too, though I only work during the hols. Usually I fill in a P50 (I think) and claim the tax back once Ive finished working there. Here is some info from the Inland Revenue concerning tax, it's got a bit about students too...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/faqs/general.htm

Points 1 and 2 may be the most relevant to you though.

Hope it helps,

Rachael

ReputationRep:
    You might already know this, but you'll be liable for income tax if you earn more than £5,035 in the 06/07 tax year. Unless you work all hours under the sun, you shouldn't really go over this working during the holidays.

You will however pay national insurance, no matter what your annual earnings are, if you're earning over £94 a week (you'll pay 11% on income over this amount).

ReputationRep:
    If you're earning less than the threshold earning wage (£94/week) you won't get taxed. However, if you are earning more than that a week, you will be taxed. However, if you earn less than a certain amount in the tax year (I think it's around £4,000), you can claim back the tax you made. Yuo can only claim back yor tax once you've got your P45 forms which you get at the end of the tax year (in April) or when you leave your job.

ReputationRep:
    Before I went to university I worked for woolies and wasn't taxed every month, but now while I'm in the TA while at uni I'm getting taxed.

How £187 into my bank account sound like for 6months?

So you people who moan about crap wages, when I'm with the army I'm supposed to get paid about £1.25 an hour, and then I don't even get that because they're buggering around not paying me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    what an a-hole...

ReputationRep:
    what an a-hole...
    Well he was a tad rude, but his statement was factual.

ReputationRep:
    yeh but it didnt answer my question at all...and it was rude...so what was the point of the dude posting it???

ReputationRep:
    How was that rude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Before I went to university I worked for woolies and wasn't taxed every month, but now while I'm in the TA while at uni I'm getting taxed.

How £187 into my bank account sound like for 6months?

So you people who moan about crap wages, when I'm with the army I'm supposed to get paid about £1.25 an hour, and then I don't even get that because they're buggering around not paying me!
    £1.25 all day for 24 hours. Stop complaining.

To OP - Ask your employers human resources dept for more help on this issue. If they tell you to contact Inland revenue, contact IR and state your current tax situation.

ReputationRep:
    yeh but it didnt answer my question at all...and it was rude...so what was the point of the dude posting it???
    What are you on about? I was simply pointing out that the advice given was very wrong, students do have to pay income tax if they earn enough just like the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    so because i posted my views concerning a mod i get a warning??? i give up... someone get rid of this thread

ReputationRep:
    so because i posted my views concerning a mod i get a warning??? i give up... someone get rid of this thread
    The Mods are a bit totalitarian, don't worry about it, I got a warning for not much.

ReputationRep:
    So you think it is ok to round calling people an arse whole then?

All I was doing was correcting some advice which was completly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    So you think it is ok to round calling people an arse whole then?

All I was doing was correcting some advice which was completly wrong.
    She hasn't said anything like in this thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.