The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand.
Reply 2
can't fit the whole question in poll

basically, i wanna know how ppl feel about rejecting independent school students with higher grades but accepting states pupils with lower predicted a levels or awarded gcses. is it fair?
Reply 3
ofcourse it is not fair this is stupid
Reply 4
TheWolf
ofcourse it is not fair this is stupid

but states schools don't get as good teaching etc
should that be taken into account? also other teaching resources etc
Reply 5
independent should get better grades. so allowance should be made
Reply 6
the poll is beginning to look interesting..
Reply 7
edwardbrooks
but states schools don't get as good teaching etc
should that be taken into account? also other teaching resources etc

if you think that states school have crap teaching - then go to an independant school or a grammar school
Reply 8
TheWolf
if you think that states school have crap teaching - then go to an independant school or a grammar school

It's not a simple as that, especially if you can't afford to pay for a private school.
Reply 9
Frances
It's not a simple as that, especially if you can't afford to pay for a private school.

how much does it cost to go to a grammar school? a grammar school gives you better teaching quality, and i know that many people choose state school because they do not prioritse education as the most important thing, and dislike public schools and independant school and think they are overpriced when they can infact afford it
Reply 10
TheWolf
how much does it cost to go to a grammar school? a grammar school gives you better teaching quality, and i know that many people choose state school because they do not prioritse education as the most important thing, and dislike public schools and independant school and think they are overpriced when they can infact afford it

There are no grammar schools in my local area. There aren't even that many private schools. And we certainly couldn't afford to pay for them if there were.
Reply 11
TheWolf

My parents wouldn't let me goto a grammar school. Should I suffer for my parents' ideals? It's also not feasible that I travel hours across the city at 11 years old.
Reply 12
Entry to oxbridge is based on academic ability, high grades with poor teaching imply higher academic ability than high grades with top notch teaching. It makes sense to recognise this in the admissions process.
Reply 13
How anybody voted no in this thread is beyond me, it seems 100% clear cut to me and don't know how people can contend this one at all.
Reply 14
fishpaste
How anybody voted no in this thread is beyond me, it seems 100% clear cut to me and don't know how people can contend this one at all.

But what about the poor, poor public school people being discriminated against in favor of those horrible state school people? Don't you realise how hard they've had it?

Reply 15
Frances
But what about the poor, poor public school people being discriminated against in favor of those horrible state school people? Don't you realise how hard they've had it?

Heh the irony is I'll have to dampen my 'hard knock life preaching,' .. Manchester Grammar have invited me to sit in on some of their STEP lessons.
Reply 16
There is always the argument that some private school pupils would have done equally well anywhere else, and can't have grades any higher than a string of As - they can't be penalised for their parents' decision on what sort of education they receive.
Reply 17
grey faerie
There is always the argument that some private school pupils would have done equally well anywhere else, and can't have grades any higher than a string of As - they can't be penalised for their parents' decision on what sort of education they receive.

They can study more subjects, they can go for 100%, they can go beyond Alevel with something like AEA or STEP, and if the state school applicant matches them with that, they can pickup a book and read about something entirely off syllabus.
Reply 18
what if a richer person sends their son to a state school and a poor person works their ass off to send their son to a public school?
Reply 19
the problem comes about when you have 2 kids, both with 4 As, one from state and one form private school. You could contend that the private school kid should be doing better than the state cool kid for he/she has had the supposed better teaching, but the fact is that you can't get higher than an A, and many schools don't even allow you to take more than a certain number of A levels so that is also out of the question. The state school kid has been forced into state school due to lack of money, but the privat school kid may have been forced there by his parents ie it was not his choice. So why should he be disadvantaged when he has an advantage which he didn't choose, and one in which will disadvantage him in the long-term but cannot even be overcome (e.g by achieveing higher grades, as the max you can get is an A)

Latest

Trending

Trending