Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    What I mean is that the tutors should (and do) look at individual circumstances, and recognise that sometimes AAA is an exceptionally high achievement, not just high.
    How many times do you have to be told that you can't get higher than an A?

ReputationRep:
    And how can anyone prove the kid who got 4As at a private school wouldn't have achieved the same high results at a state school?!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'd discriminate in this way as most applicants would have a string of As or As and a B. However, I would suspect that, if you have two identical candidates ability-wise and one has come from a comp with the other from an independent, the comprehensive pupil is favoured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    How many times do you have to be told that you can't get higher than an A?
    And how many times do you have to be told that there are more ways of showing your academic ability than getting an A?

If it helps think of it as a continuous scale
    Code:
    | -------- | -----|
    UUU         AAA     AAA + extra study off syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Grr. I've just read about all this in the newspaper that universities will be able to favour those who go to bad school and they will get priority even if they don't meet the grades!

I think it's so unfair. Choosing not to go to a bad school will put me in a worse position than choosing to study somewhere with a massive average A-level points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Grr. I've just read about all this in the newspaper that universities will be able to favour those who go to bad school and they will get priority even if they don't meet the grades!

I think it's so unfair. Choosing not to go to a bad school will put me in a worse position than choosing to study somewhere with a massive average A-level points.
    I know...it's ridiculous. Labour are going AWOL, I'll be voting conservative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)

It might be stupid (I'm undecided, I do think some kind of allowance should be made in certain circumstances), but how is it AWOL?

ReputationRep:
    Well it is because *quite* wealthy people go to crappy sixth forms (believe me) and they will have more chance over me and the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    It might be stupid (I'm undecided, I do think some kind of allowance should be made in certain circumstances), but how is it AWOL?
    Hmm, i think i used it in the wrong context. AWOL is supposed to be 'absent'. I just meant the party's policies are getting ridiculous, I used to quite like labour.

ReputationRep:
    The positive discrimination of any class or group applying to university is unfair and foolish as is all discrimination. Those classes should have allowances made for them, being discriminated for reasons they have no control over, due to their social or financial status, place of residence, etc.

If certain state school students are disadvantaged in terms of the support/education they receive, effort should be made in the direction of levelling the playing field by improving the support they receive rather than discriminate other students who might come from a better state school or a private school. This effort should come from the patrons of state schools: the government, who should improve the quality of education or the support, wherever it is lacking, as a long term plan. In the short term, allowances should be made during the interviews with students from state schools, so that a better candidate is chosen on the basis of ability, which they do.

But actively discriminating able candidates just because they had better education is absurd. If a pointer to having received better education are grades, then why should a hard-working student with reasonable grades in a private school be unfairly discriminated against somone in a state school who is not prepared to work and has poorer grades; why should the latter be chosen over the other by virtue of the fact he attends a state school? The latter then is assured that he/she need not spend as much effort into his/her work, and still be be favoured over the other pupil who has achieved better results. You can see that such positive discrimination works against the principle of working to achieve good grades.

Again, I stress that allowances for lower average grades which can be pointed out as a result of poor schooling or poor social conditions, should be the levelling factor. In fact, in principle at least, I believe this is the basis of all interviews. For example, dyslexic students are disadvantaged but the exam board does not reduce the marks of others to make sure that everyone has a "fair" and equal chance of competition. Instead ample allowances such as extra time is given.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i think i used it in the wrong context. AWOL is supposed to be 'absent'. I just meant the party's policies are getting ridiculous, I used to quite like labour.

Ok.
    AWOL stands for Absent without leave, it's an army term.
    I'm sorry you feel disillusioned with Labour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Ok.
    AWOL stands for Absent without leave, it's an army term.
    I'm sorry you feel disillusioned with Labour!
    Completely the wrong context then, silly me.

ReputationRep:
    Completely the wrong context then, silly me.
    I wouldn't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly Bean)
    I agree 100% with your post. I go to a private school and we were also only allowed to take 9 GCSEs and the majority of people are only allowed to take 3 A-Levels.
    My family is nowhere near rich enough to pay for me to go to a private school - the only reason I'm at one is because I got a full scholarship.
    The classes are nowhere near as small as 15 as someone said in their post, and the teaching quality varies dramatically. It's also a myth that private school kids sit in silence and are well behaved all the time. I've been in lots of lesson where the teacher struggles throughout to keep the class under control.

On the other hand, my two brothers went to the local state school where they took 11 GCSEs and 5 A-levels. Their class sizes were often the same size as mine and the teaching was good enough for them to get top grades. One of them got 5 As at A-level.

I understand that many state schools aren't this good, and that many pupils do have to work extremely hard to get the same grades as private school pupils. However, wide, sweeping statements that categorically say that state school pupils are always at a huge disadvantage to private school pupils are ridiculous. Yes, many private schools are better than many state schools, but in many cases state schools are just as good as private schools, and some are even better.
    So why didnt u go to the same state school as your brothers, if its better?
    All these rants about the private schools which are 'not so good' are completely begging the question. Ppl who go to private schools have a CHOICE! Whether you won a scholarship or your parents are rich you went there by CHOICE! And why did you (or your parents) make that decision? Because it was believed you would gain an ADVANTAGE.
    The fact that in some cases the educational advantage proved to be less than you hoped is irrelevant. You still got an advantage, or you would have left and gone to state school. So please stop blathering on how it was no better than a state school and kidding yourself you would have got just as good results at Scumbrooke comprehensive down the road... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There is a huge variation amongst those who get AAA, and I'm sure admissions tutors should be able to distinguish between Mr Eton who only got AAA because he had an amazing education, and Miss Bogstandardcomp who only got AAA through some damn hard work and yet has real natural intelligence and huge potential. I hate to say it, but there are a few people here who I don't think are especially intelligent, but have just had a really good education, and it does show through. It's not all about grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    There is a huge variation amongst those who get AAA, and I'm sure admissions tutors should be able to distinguish between Mr Eton who only got AAA because he had an amazing education, and Miss Bogstandardcomp who only got AAA through some damn hard work and yet has real natural intelligence and huge potential. I hate to say it, but there are a few people here who I don't think are especially intelligent, but have just had a really good education, and it does show through. It's not all about grades.
    Hehe, you would be referring to me as one of those people Thats hairy muff like, I rather wouldnt be dead clever to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Hehe, you would be referring to me as one of those people Thats hairy muff like, I rather wouldnt be dead clever to be honest.
    Actually, when I say 'here' I mean Oxford. Wasn't referring to you at all. How could I when I don't even know you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Actually, when I say 'here' I mean Oxford. Wasn't referring to you at all. How could I when I don't even know you?
    Ok whatever. I know exactly what you mean though, some of my friends were seriously dumb but because they were taught the right stuff and worked a little they got really good grades. Then there are those who are actually clever but jut get stoned permanently...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Ok whatever. I know exactly what you mean though, some of my friends were seriously dumb but because they were taught the right stuff and worked a little they got really good grades. Then there are those who are actually clever but jut get stoned permanently...
    its sucks big time when u get crap teachers who teach you all the wrong stuff for exams (exams? what exam?) i'm sure loads of states sch ppl would know what i'm on about.

ReputationRep:
    A mate of mine just got rejected from Edinb. and they told her that they worked a point system.

U get scored out of 8. One point each for stuff like if u wen to an inner city school or if ur parents hadn't been to uni etc..

If they get two similar ppl the one with the higher score gets the place

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.