Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have realized that I want to take a year off to do some volunteering while polishing up my french skills before I go to university. However, I have received a conditional offer from Edinburgh for this year (for English Lit and Philosophy) and really want to go next year - do you think they would let me defer entry? Has anyone else tried? Also, should I accept the offer first and then ask for deferred entry, or ask them right now?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!!

ReputationRep:
    I have a deffered entry place for politics and philosophy but i applied for deffered entry. Someone asked the question at the open day and from what I can gather they don't like ppl asking for deffered entry if they didn't apply for it. I would phone them if I was you before you accept the offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was in pretty much the same position as you except I'm just plain eng lit, but I emailed at the beginning of march having received a conditional offer and they wouldn't defer me Then I asked if I declined this year and reapplied next year would it count against me and they sent a rather ratty email back saying that competion is incredibly fierce and we have 28 applicants per place and competion is only going to get stronger.... etc and that I may want to consider that before giving up my place!

But there is another person on here who applied for entry for english this year, but they've only offered her a deferred place, which is a little bizarre as I think she would rather go this year.

Nevertheless, I would either ring or email to enquire anyway as there's nothing to be lost by trying

ReputationRep:
    Hewwo!Yeah bluerose speaks the truth here!Edinburgh are a bit up themselves I gotta say, and keep telling us all different things- so yeah give it a go, who knows, they can be nice. If not tell be spiteful. always works for me. Or you can have my place if I get my grades for Warwick. I mean how will they know lol.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.