Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to take a year off to do some volunteering and improve my french. However, I received an offer from St. Andrews (and Edinburgh) and want to keep one of them, asking for deferred entry. Does anyone know the universities policy about this? Can I defer entry if I got an offer for this year? Or would I have to apply again?
    Thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    If your sure you want to defer the best thing to do you be to decide which university offer you want to defer and contact them to ask if its possible and if its not then contact the other university and ask them . Just remember to decline any other offers otherwise you might still end up with a university place this year.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much the same as above. Just make sure that you know what university you want to go to, and let them know soon (the deadline is approaching!). I think the best way would be to write a letter, explain your plans, and your reasons. I'm sure that the university will be very understanding, and they'll appreciate your maturity

K x

ReputationRep:
    If you need more time to decide I don't think you need to do it now. I know someone who had an offer for Edinburgh last year (medicine) but over the summer he decided he wanted to take a gap year so when he got his results he asked if he could defer and they were completely happy to let him as I think more people than they had expected had fulfilled their requirements.
    As one of the tutors at Durham said when I was on an open day "it's all about bed space" ie if you fulfill the requirements they probably don't mind when they start your degree. They may be happy to have less pressure on their beds if you defer!
    I'm also thinking about taking a gap year but if I do decide to I'll probably withdraw and reapply. But I don't know at the moment, it's all too complicated for me!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, guys! It's really appreciated, because - like you lingolicious! - I have no idea what to do at the moment and 'it's all too complicated'. Will all sort itself out soon though I hope

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.