The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The first one is a foundation degree, which means it is not a full degree and is usually more practical. The second is a full degree and will be of a higher standard academically (usually). They're not the same.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
The first one is a foundation degree, which means it is not a full degree and is usually more practical. The second is a full degree and will be of a higher standard academically (usually). They're not the same.

what do you mean by not a full degree? so If i was to do a FdSc degree would i have to then do a post grad degree to become a vet nurse?
Reply 3
Original post by Ooemily36oO
what do you mean by not a full degree? so If i was to do a FdSc degree would i have to then do a post grad degree to become a vet nurse?

The Bsc is a bachelors degree, the FdSc is a foundation degree. If you do the FdSc then you will need to do a futher 'top up' year (if the unis allow this) to make it a bachelors degree.
You cannot do a post-grad degree after a FdSc as it is not a bachelors degree (a requirement for all post-grad degrees).

I had to look up how to become a vet nurse to answer your question. There are several routes but it seems that you can do either course to become one, however the Bsc will always look better and give you more prospects.
Other routes are listed here:
http://www.caw.ac.uk/courses/vn/veterinary-nursing-courses.aspx
Original post by Ooemily36oO
Can anyone please explain simply what the difference is? from what I have read all can understand is that they are exactly the same except in the BSc you have an extra year. And that BSc's require alot higher grades! is the BSc thought of as alot higher?

many thanks - em x

Hi there,

an FdSc is a foundation degree, the duration of the courses vary from each university, they are generally 2 years. Foundation degrees are normally lower entry requirements.

A BSc is a full bachelor of science degree, again the duration can vary on the university, and they are normally 3-4 years.

If you don’t quite make the entry requirements for the BSc you can apply for the FdSc. Once you complete the FdSc you can then go on to do a Top-Up course to gain the BSc

Doing the FdSc generally means you will be given more support throughout your studies.

So the BSc is a higher qualification than an FdSc

I hope this helps

Do Great Things - University of Bolton
Reply 5
You can qualify as a Vet Nurse by doing either the FdSc or the BSc (or even the Diploma route). Whichever degree course you do you will still study together if the uni runs both. The only difference is that those who do the BSc will have to do an extra year. If you do choose to do the FdSc degree and perform well enough, then you would be able to do the final top-up year. Some choose to do this, others decide to go straight into a job.
Reply 6
I am currently studying an FdSc course in veterinary nursing and I have friends who are doing BSc (hons), they are both degrees just different levels. I have researched into whether it would be worth topping up to do a BSc and I can't really see a difference apart from a BSc gives you a higher qualification at the end, basically I will have FdSc before my name and others will have BSc. We are all in the same class at uni we do the same amount of work, same classes and also a 60 week placement in practice. However if you decide to do a FdSc and qualify you can practice as a qualified nurse whilst still 'topping up' to a BSc, and if you fail a BSc you have to do the whole year again, whereas if you topped up from a FdSc and fail you are still qualified. I also know people who are working towards a diploma which basically means you stay in practice and do one day a week at college. Doing a BSc doesn't necessarily mean you are more likely to get a job or higher pay, some practices go by experience others go by whether you have a degree or a diploma, as a degree is preferable over a diploma.
If you ever choose to work abroad (like I do, in Norway working/living) then I can GUARANTEE you that the B.Sc. will be a qualification that is considered 'higher education', whilst the FdSc may not be! This may be important in terms of both job opportunities, salary, and having your qualifications certified by the new country. Be careful! I have a B.Sc., also M.Res. No problem with having them certified in NOrway. I ALSO have an N.V.Q. No chance of getting that recognised, even though it was Level 3, and in Education. Be careful with qualifications that are country-specific, is my simple warning here. :smile: Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest