Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey are accountancy firms big on academic references? i.e Do they actually ring your referee up because I have heard some do and some don't! What type of questions do they ask your referee?!
    :p:

Accountancy firms are, generally, pretty rubbish when it comes to pre-employment screening. Still, don't lie, don't try to and don't be tempted.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, take PB's advice seriously. Under no circumstances should you make falese declarations, because your past/history can and will come back to haunt you some time later when you've made it in life. And you'll have one horrible time explaining yourself.

ReputationRep:
    [[[[[[[[

ReputationRep:
    Well I know they checked one of my referees, dunno about the other. Its always good to get someone who likes you just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fubu)
    Well I know they checked one of my referees, dunno about the other. Its always good to get someone who likes you just in case
    They did? Interesting. Did you apply as an individual or through your school?

ReputationRep:
    Um, I'm talking about references for a summer internship with Deloitte, were you refering to UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fubu)
    Um, I'm talking about references for a summer internship with Deloitte, were you refering to UCAS?
    Yes.

*smacks head*

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand, your UCAS referees write statements which are attached to your application. Admissions tutors will read those, so its unlikely they'll have to contact your UCAS referees directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fubu)
    From what I understand, your UCAS referees write statements which are attached to your application. Admissions tutors will read those, so its unlikely they'll have to contact your UCAS referees directly.
    If you apply as an individual, you insert your reference into your application yourself (boy that sounds confusing), and state the contact details of your referee. In that case, chances of them verifying your reference are quite high.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like deloitte but congratulations on your place

ReputationRep:
    ha I'm not too keen on PwC, but each to their own!
    Each company has its own culture though, so different people are gonna prefer one over the other.

Hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what general policy is, but I had both my references checked; one from my tutor regarding academics, the other a past employer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.