ellewoods
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I've had the letter this morning from my uni, and we are only allowed 2 guest tickets in addition to our own for graduation.
I understand from friends that this is pretty much the norm, but I, as I suppose lots of other people will, need an extra one.

I can phone up on June 9th, and if any are left they will be sold first come, first served - does anyone know if its' a struggle to get hold of extra tickets normally, or if it should be ok??

Personally I think 2 tickets is a bit silly - I know there is only so much space, but with boyfriends / girlfriends / step-parents surely 2 tickets is too few?! :confused:
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes it is first come first served at least at the uni I'm gonna be at
and yes I think think most people agree that 2 isn't very many so it will be a battle to get extras
good luck!
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am lucky then that we get 3+ourselves. Good luck getting the extra that you need!
ellewoods
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kingspharm)
I am lucky then that we get 3+ourselves. Good luck getting the extra that you need!
You lucky thing
Thanks for the luck, I'm going to need it..... how do you make the choice as to which of your valued, supportive parental-style people get the tickets?! :confused:
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's kinda mean to only get 2 isn't it....at least half of my uni class have more than two "parents" (i.e. step-parents etc) - I don't envy you having to pick. Maybe there'll be other people who won't bring anyone so you can get one of their tickets....ask around.
ellewoods
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
It's kinda mean to only get 2 isn't it....at least half of my uni class have more than two "parents" (i.e. step-parents etc) - I don't envy you having to pick. Maybe there'll be other people who won't bring anyone so you can get one of their tickets....ask around.
Good idea
Will do. Surely something must have a fractured disfunctional family that I can benefit from?! :p:
tommyboy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My Masters graduation was a bit silly in that respect: We were allowed three guests for the actual graduation ceremony, but a maximum of two for the lunch / reception, which came straight after the ceremony. Do they expect the third guest to linger around on their own hungrily eyeing all the people going to the reception? :rolleyes:
dancingqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ellewoods)
Good idea
Will do. Surely something must have a fractured disfunctional family that I can benefit from?! :p:
I've just come back from Gem's and I hear you have to pay for each guest too! :eek: I just assumed it would be free....do you have to pay at most unis?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tommyboy)
My Masters graduation was a bit silly in that respect: We were allowed three guests for the actual graduation ceremony, but a maximum of two for the lunch / reception, which came straight after the ceremony. Do they expect the third guest to linger around on their own hungrily eyeing all the people going to the reception? :rolleyes:
Keeping a beady eye on the bin behind the kitchen...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I get 3 tickets plus myself (though I don't sit down, so it doesn't matter). It says somewhere that priority for spare tickets is given to students with more than two parents, so you might get lucky. There's only so many people you can fit into a hall though, and once again it'll vary hugely from uni-uni.
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why would you want to take your girlfriend/boyfriend to your graduation? If you split up with them, which will invariably happen in most cases, they'll be stuck in your photos of the event forever.
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
Why would you want to take your girlfriend/boyfriend to your graduation? If you split up with them, which will invariably happen in most cases, they'll be stuck in your photos of the event forever.
try explaining that to them when you're planning it... :p:
ellewoods
Rep:
?
(Original post by dancingqueen)
I've just come back from Gem's and I hear you have to pay for each guest too! :eek: I just assumed it would be free....do you have to pay at most unis?
Fifteen pounds per ticket... Im not sure now `average` this is, my best friends' were free for her graduation in Aberystwth, champayne and everything!! And I cant imagine Leeds Met managing to organise anything even halfway decent anyway, no matter how much we pay for tickets :rolleyes:

I'll be backpacking on June 9th, so am entrusting my best mate to phone up and try and get me tickets!! I'm going to speak to my head of year in the meantime and try and pull some strings - I'm on pretty good terms with her, so fingers crossed
dancingqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ellewoods)
Fifteen pounds per ticket... Im not sure now `average` this is, my best friends' were free for her graduation in Aberystwth, champayne and everything!! And I cant imagine Leeds Met managing to organise anything even halfway decent anyway, no matter how much we pay for tickets :rolleyes:

I'll be backpacking on June 9th, so am entrusting my best mate to phone up and try and get me tickets!! I'm going to speak to my head of year in the meantime and try and pull some strings - I'm on pretty good terms with her, so fingers crossed
I don't think my graduation ceremony will be until 2008 anyway....long time to wait!
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dancingqueen)
I don't think my graduation ceremony will be until 2008 anyway....long time to wait!
at my first uni we only got 2 as standard but I wanted a third for my boyfriend..............so we just had to write in an ask for another and say why..............then they were given on a first come first served and a need by need basis. I got the one I wanted........I think it cost me a fiver, but I dind't have to pay for the original two. To the poster who asked why you'dwant to bring your BF/GF - I took my BF because he put up with alot while I was at uni, lots of travelling, lots of cancelled weekends during my finals etc plus he kept me in food in my final year lol!
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JackieS)
at my first uni we only got 2 as standard but I wanted a third for my boyfriend..............so we just had to write in an ask for another and say why..............then they were given on a first come first served and a need by need basis. I got the one I wanted........I think it cost me a fiver, but I dind't have to pay for the original two. To the poster who asked why you'dwant to bring your BF/GF - I took my BF because he put up with alot while I was at uni, lots of travelling, lots of cancelled weekends during my finals etc plus he kept me in food in my final year lol!
I've never had any trouble getting extra tickets. We got 2 for Swansea, and I managed to get 3, and 3 for Oxford and i got 4...

Certianly have never been expected to pay for them!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not taking my bf because I think family take priority at occasions like this. And he's not really expressed a wish to come and watch it, given he'll have his own the year after.

We don't have to pay for tickets to the ceremony itself, but there's a fairly pricey lunch afterwards, plus costs of photos, hood hire...
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We have to pay £20 each for a guest ticket- and we only get 2!
ellewoods
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackieS)
To the poster who asked why you'dwant to bring your BF/GF - I took my BF because he put up with alot while I was at uni, lots of travelling, lots of cancelled weekends during my finals etc plus he kept me in food in my final year lol!
Same here.
For the midweek trips up to Leeds just to eat dinner with me when I was struggling socially, educationally, financially and emotionally in the first year, for constantly driving / sending cards / calling / not getting annoyed at me having loads of fun while he slogged his guts out for his promotion at work during my second year, and for the one million cups of tea, meals made, back massages, tear-wiping and emergency stationary buying during my incredibly stressful final months now!!!
He is officially a star and has been my own personal cheerleader all the way, he really wants to be there and I really want him there!!
Luckily my parents understand and adore him as much as I do, but I still have no idea what will happen should 2 tickets only be available ultimately.... :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (62)
27.43%
1 (35)
15.49%
2 (39)
17.26%
3 (31)
13.72%
4 (16)
7.08%
5 (19)
8.41%