The Student Room Group

Access to HE with level 3 maths...

Hello everyone

I've been offered a place at the University of Glamorgan to read for a BSc in Police Sciences on the understanding that I complete an Access to HE course but the maths component must be at level three.

Hi sorry to be so long in getting back to you.

We have discussed your case and as you will see from the email below we feel that the best course of action for you would to take an access course to HE (locally) this would include getting the maths at skills level 3 ( equivalent to GCSE, but must be at level 3) and then you would be qualified to take the BSc next year. Unfortunately we cannot offer anything to you this year as the deadline has passed and so all courses are closed for this year.

Oh, how I've tried to find such a course. I live in Birmingham and all the courses here were either full, full-time or didn't have the required level 3 maths. I've spent many hours on-line looking for Access to HE courses that have level 3 maths but no joy. Woe, is me. Can anybody help me find an online course? if not is it possible to do some form of 'stand alone' course at level 3?

Also, the Ascentis/NFCS Criminology level 3 course offered by the Open Study College, is the award widely recognised/any good? Has anyone applied to university with this award? I tried to find the award on UCAS but couldn't find anything. Their criminology course content looks really interesting. The 'regular' access courses I've seen are all 60 points with 45 of those points coming from level three study, but I could couldn't find out from Open Study College website how many points their course is worth.

Thanks in advance for your help

lovenest
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lovenest
Hello everyone

I've been offered a place at the University of Glamorgan to read for a BSc in Police Sciences on the understanding that I complete an Access to HE course but the maths component must be at level three.

Hi sorry to be so long in getting back to you.

We have discussed your case and as you will see from the email below we feel that the best course of action for you would to take an access course to HE (locally) this would include getting the maths at skills level 3 ( equivalent to GCSE, but must be at level 3) and then you would be qualified to take the BSc next year. Unfortunately we cannot offer anything to you this year as the deadline has passed and so all courses are closed for this year.

Oh, how I've tried to find such a course. I live in Birmingham and all the courses here were either full, full-time or didn't have the required level 3 maths. I've spent many hours on-line looking for Access to HE courses that have level 3 maths but no joy. Woe, is me. Can anybody help me find an online course? if not is it possible to do some form of 'stand alone' course at level 3?

Also, the Ascentis/NFCS Criminology level 3 course offered by the Open Study College, is the award widely recognised/any good? Has anyone applied to university with this award? I tried to find the award on UCAS but couldn't find anything. Their criminology course content looks really interesting. The 'regular' access courses I've seen are all 60 points with 45 of those points coming from level three study, but I could couldn't find out from Open Study College website how many points their course is worth.

Thanks in advance for your help

lovenest

As far as I am aware, Access to HE courses only offer Level 2 maths which is the level equivalent to GCSE's as supposedly, Level 3 is A level equivalency. I may be wrong about this, but that's my understanding since most universities ask for 45 credits at Level 3, which, if Level 3 was GCSE level, would mean that you would also have to do Level 4 courses (does that make sense?).

I think they want you to do a Maths Key Skills course, which at Level 3 would be GCSE equivalent. It's the wording that is confusing here. Access to HE courses can include Key Skills but the Key Skills levels are different to the Access credits levels. Look on the Learn Direct website for the different qualifications and levels that each one has.

If there's an FE college locally, they may run the Access Course in the evenings, which is usually 2 evenings per week for a few hours, but it's a faster pace then the daytime course. I took the evening Access Course to get myself back into the swing of studying and I went for 2 x 3 hour sessions per week. A girl who also attended didn't have Maths and English and she had to go for 2 years in the evenings to get her Key Skills.

You could also take your GCSE Maths. Contact Edexcel and AQA (or look on their website) for a list of schools/colleges who will allow external candidates to sit the exams at the same time that the students are sitting them. You may have to pay a fee to the school/college for them allowing you to do this.

Good Luck with everything.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply Galadriel, how about the Ascentis/NFCS award, do you know anything about it? Has anybody gained this award?

thanks

Lovenest
I am currently doing an Access to HE course, and I am sitting Level 3 Maths. Our current unit is Algebra & Graphs!

So they do exist and are run!
Reply 4
cheers, i dont know whether to be happy or sad to find out.

cheers Exwunderkind.
Reply 5
Exwunderkind

What is level 3 maths equivalent to?
Reply 6
I'm currently doing an access to he: science course which includes level 2 maths which is GCSE equivalent.

Level 3 is A-Level equivalent, as that is what my access, science modules are (level 3). Level 4 is BSc degree, etc
Yeah. It's equivalent to A Level maths but only in the actual theory and application. The exams are nowhere near as daunting.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
How difficult is the level 3 maths, on the access course.
I looooooooooove maths its the one thing i never get tired of i want a career in maths but accounting just sounds so boring pkus tbh u dnt even use that much maths .is there any access course that has a big chunk of level 3maths innit ????
Original post by ExWunderkind
I am currently doing an Access to HE course, and I am sitting Level 3 Maths. Our current unit is Algebra & Graphs!

So they do exist and are run!
which access course you doing and is it level3maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending