Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Simple question watch

Announcements

Why do poeple dislike chavs so much? Fair enough if they've done something to you, but ones that haven't done anything and are perfectly nice, kind, funny, etc. I am by no means a chav, however I think it is unfair that many people dislike them for no apparant reason other than they may dress differently, like different music etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ive never met a nice one im afraid! Perhaps if they didnt hang out in large groups on street corners, swearing really loudly and making the town look bad then I would think more of them. I know it's a stereotype, but they meet that stereotype by the way they act and the words they use!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    Perhaps if they didnt hang out in large groups on street corners, swearing really loudly and making the town look bad then I would think more of them. I know it's a stereotype, but they meet that stereotype by the way they act and the words they use!
    What she said.

The chavs I have encountered are generally abusive, loud and generally causing trouble.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is the definition of a chav?

ReputationRep:
    council house and violent

ReputationRep:
    theres plenty of pictures of chavs here

ReputationRep:
    I hate lots of people, not just chavs.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more what they supposedly stand for that people dislike rather than them personally (of course if you get to know them you might hate them for that reason too lol). They supposedly represent all that is wrong with today's younger people. I have a very good friend who by definition is a "chav" (he won't mind me saying that) and he's a really nice guy. But for every 1 like him there's probably 5 more who go round hot wiring cars or nicking old bags pension books.

ReputationRep:
    I basically just dont like people who dont have respect for others. It always seems to me that chavs settle for being disrespected, i always think to myself, why dont you try and make something of your life?

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

council house and violent
    thats a but generalized isnt it, not all people living in a council house are chavs. I live in a council house, and im in no way a chav .. i hate chavs.

And answer to the question, really, your not really a "chav" if you dont act in an anti-social way like the yobs do. So everybody hates chavs, its not really the music, or the dress that we hate, we just dont like these because they are associated with chavs .. if you get me.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are everything that makes this country sh*t!!

ReputationRep:
    There really is only one question to ask about the Chav phenomenon/problem.

Why?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afriad that I have never met a nice chav. Thats the whole point of a chav, they only like their own kind and hate everyone else.

And are afraid of gay people.

ReputationRep:
    Because what use do they have? They don't bring anything to this country - half aren't educated, scrounge of benefits and don't have a job.

ReputationRep:
    the chav driver gave me the finger for no reason while i was walking down hill to town. So why did he do that then, cos Im from overseas? scum

ReputationRep:
    Being a "Chav" is more an attitude and frame of mind than a socio-economic class. Is it really surprising that a philosophy of life that feckless, workshy and abusive is so deried?

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, I have never met a nice chav. They seem to think they are better than everyone else and enjoy starting on people and generally thinking they are 'hard' hanging out in groups and making people feel scared. I'm sure there can be nice chavs but they never seem to show themselves. If I saw a chav give up a seat for an older person on a bus etc then my opinion might be different

ReputationRep:
    I've met a few relatively nice chavs. I work in a pretty chavvy area of Manchester and I see the whole spectrum of chavs - young, in denial, middle aged etc. Some of them were really quite pleasant and polite...! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Chav's get a horrible stereotype, working class lads with burberry. Don't know any myself...make myself look bad also....

ReputationRep:
    i think they earn the dislike for some reason. if most ppl havent had a gud encounter with one they jus brand them with the name...ahh hate them buggers

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.