Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find waist sizes really confusing, especially on jeans? Because most jeans these days are so low-slung they don't come anywhere near to my waist. So how do they measure, say 26" waist jeans? Do they just guess how big your hips will be from that? :confused: I usually just stick to buying jeans by size (like 8, 10, 12...) otherwise it takes forever to work out which ones fit!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the answer to your specific question (I don't wear jeans) but I know from doing design years back that in theory the average woman's hips are supposed to be + 12 inches on her waist so I guess they could calculate it using that equation.

Someone here will know the answer tho I bet

ReputationRep:
    hey i want to know this as well! i posted a thread in the why do girls wear skinny jeans section about baxter jeans! i cant work out which waist size im meant to be and i never wear jeans around my waist anyway!! there must be a guide somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    If you know what size you are in other clothes (like 8, 10 or whatever) it's easy to convert it into the waist size. In Topshop:

24 - size 4
    25 - size 6
    26 - size 8
    28 - size 10
    30 - size 12
    32 - size 14
    34 - size 16

I'm not sure why they number it by waist size, they don't expect you to wear them on your waist so it's not about that! I don't really think it has much to do with the size of your waist, it's just a different way of doing it I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    If you know what size you are in other clothes (like 8, 10 or whatever) it's easy to convert it into the waist size. In Topshop:

24 - size 4
    25 - size 6
    26 - size 8
    28 - size 10
    30 - size 12
    32 - size 14
    34 - size 16

I'm not sure why they number it by waist size, they don't expect you to wear them on your waist so it's not about that! I don't really think it has much to do with the size of your waist, it's just a different way of doing it I suppose.
    But to be fair, I find that Topshop sizes are just utterly ridiculous: they are too big!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    But to be fair, I find that Topshop sizes are just utterly ridiculous: they are too big!
    That depends on the type of jean. When I worked there I always recommended that people go a size smaller for Mooch and size bigger for Baxters. My boss was usually a 10 but she had to buy Baxters in a 14 when they first came out! I've not worked there since Christmas though, so I imagine the cuts have been changed by now. I recently bought some new Mooch jeans and despite losing weight had to go a size bigger than my last pair!

Overall though if you know your regular clothes size, if you pick up a pair of jeans in the corresponding size, one a size bigger and one a size smaller, you should find that at least one pair fits!

I've heard that they do it to boost customers self esteem (e.g. "Oh wow, I have to get jeans in an 8 instead of my usual 10 in Topshop!) so that they shop there more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)

I've heard that they do it to boost customers self esteem (e.g. "Oh wow, I have to get jeans in an 8 instead of my usual 10 in Topshop!) so that they shop there more often.
    *ha ha* indeed. I've recently had to get a size 8 pair of jeans from topshop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)

Well I don't care how mean I sound but I don't really care much about the self-esteem of bigger ppl's sizes when the ppl in mention have done nothing in concern to the size that they are in terms of health, food, drink and exercise.
    By Topshop sizes I am a size 4, which is really hard to find plus ppl then assume I have an ED, which isn't true, and then be mean. But I like the size I am and I'm healthy so I don't care what they think. I don't even actually care about Topshop as I find the clothes from there to be too ordinary, boring and not my style.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't care how mean I sound but I don't really care much about the self-esteem of bigger ppl's sizes when the ppl in mention have done nothing in concern to the size that they are in terms of health, food, drink and exercise.
    By Topshop sizes I am a size 4, which is really hard to find plus ppl then assume I have an ED, which isn't true, and then be mean. But I like the size I am and I'm healthy so I don't care what they think. I don't even actually care about Topshop as I find the clothes from there to be too ordinary, boring and not my style.
    Woah, wait a minute! I think you've misunderstood me. I agree, I'm not defending Topshop, I think it's a stupid thing to do.

But, the 'people in mention' might have done everything they can about their size. It's nothing to do with boosting the self-esteem of 'bigger' people for altruistic reasons, it's intended to get anyone who has a complex about their weight - which, today, is most people in their demographic - to feel good in Topshop clothes, and want to shop there more often. It's easy to see how it works. If you're a normally a 10 but you try something on in that size in Topshop and it's too big, it makes you feel good about yourself. Therefore, you try on loads more clothes and buy more stuff simply because it says '8' on the label. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that do care about what the label says, mostly subconsciously.

And it's not just Topshop that does it, it happens all over the place. I find French Connection especially bad, in that shop I can try on some tops in the smallest size that they do to find that they're too big, and I'm normally an 8/10 on top.

As for people saying you have an ED because you're a size 4, that's hardly Topshop's fault is it? Think what you like about Topshop, but you can't blame them for shallow people assuming that 4 = ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Woah, wait a minute! I think you've misunderstood me. I agree, I'm not defending Topshop, I think it's a stupid thing to do.

But, the 'people in mention' might have done everything they can about their size. It's nothing to do with boosting the self-esteem of 'bigger' people for altruistic reasons, it's intended to get anyone who has a complex about their weight - which, today, is most people in their demographic - to feel good in Topshop clothes, and want to shop there more often. It's easy to see how it works. If you're a normally a 10 but you try something on in that size in Topshop and it's too big, it makes you feel good about yourself. Therefore, you try on loads more clothes and buy more stuff simply because it says '8' on the label. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that do care about what the label says, mostly subconsciously.

And it's not just Topshop that does it, it happens all over the place. I find French Connection especially bad, in that shop I can try on some tops in the smallest size that they do to find that they're too big, and I'm normally an 8/10 on top.

As for people saying you have an ED because you're a size 4, that's hardly Topshop's fault is it? Think what you like about Topshop, but you can't blame them for shallow people assuming that 4 = ill.
    OK- I know how the self-esteem thing works- I'm not stupid you know! Plus I know that it's not just Topshop that does it; New Look is bad too and GAP is even more notorious. As I'm not usually a size 4. Topshop follows the trends and what is "fashionable" into which the media plays a part of too. Therefore it is partially their fault as they do that sizing thing for the self-esteem boost because of ppl in general getting bigger- the other part of whose fault it is. I don't care what other ppl think, especially those that are shallow and take out their insecurities on other ppl.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care much about the self-esteem of bigger ppl's sizes when the ppl in mention have done nothing in concern to the size that they are in terms of health, food, drink and exercise.

By Topshop sizes I am a size 4, which is really hard to find plus ppl then assume I have an ED, which isn't true, and then be mean.

Well you can't really complain about people making assumptions based on your size when you do the same to other people based on their clothes size.

ReputationRep:
    i hate topshop :hmpf:

i'm a size 14/16 and nothing in there ever fits

i swear my best bet would probably be the maternity range and i'm meant to be averagely sized! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Dynamite_)
    Well you can't really complain about people making assumptions based on your size when you do the same to other people based on their clothes size.
    I don't! I said "when the ppl in mention" aka the people who are bigger and do what I said as those are the one's I am talking about aka mentioning. Therefore I'm not generalising all bigger people. Learn to read better or get a thesaurus and dictionary combined because you sure need one!

ReputationRep:
    OK- I know how the self-esteem thing works- I'm not stupid you know! Plus I know that it's not just Topshop that does it; New Look is bad too and GAP is even more notorious. As I'm not usually a size 4. Topshop follows the trends and what is "fashionable" into which the media plays a part of too. Therefore it is partially their fault as they do that sizing thing for the self-esteem boost because of ppl in general getting bigger- the other part of whose fault it is. I don't care what other ppl think, especially those that are shallow and take out their insecurities on other ppl.
    No, it's not their fault. Topshop do not make people think that size 4 means you have an eating disorder. People come to that conclusion by themselves with the encouragement of magazines like Heat and Closer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    No, it's not their fault. Topshop do not make people think that size 4 means you have an eating disorder. People come to that conclusion by themselves with the encouragement of magazines like Heat and Closer.
    Lol, this is coming from the girl that is "not defending Topshop".:rolleyes: Plus I did mention the media. Well if ppl do choose to read such trash then that be with them only. Unlike poor Nicole, I am healthy and I don't succumb/sacrifice myself to peer pressure or fashion.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this is coming from the girl that is "not defending Topshop".:rolleyes: Plus I did mention the media. Well if ppl do choose to read such trash then that be with them only. Unlike poor Nicole, I am healthy and I don't succumb/sacrifice myself to peer pressure or fashion.
    I am not defending Topshop for making sizes bigger, I think that's an underhanded ploy to sell more clothes. Criticism where it's due, and all that.

I am defending Topshop from your ridiculous comments though. How does making each size bigger make people think wearing smaller sizes mean you have an eating disorder? You make no sense.

If all the sizes are made bigger, then it's all relative. If I'm normally a 10 but a Topshop 8, then I'm not going to assume that someone wearing a Topshop 4 suffers some kind of disease because in reality they're probably a 6. And you can't blame Topshop for the image of the size 4 perpetuated by the media, or the fact that some people are naturally mean and would want to say horrible things to someone because they are skinny!

Good for you on the not succumbing, but what has that got to do with the thread?

ReputationRep:
    I don't! I said "when the ppl in mention" aka the people who are bigger and do what I said as those are the one's I am talking about aka mentioning. Therefore I'm not generalising all bigger people. Learn to read better or get a thesaurus and dictionary combined because you sure need one!
    Well how the hell would you know what these 'bigger people' eat and the amount of exercise they do unless they are being carried around top shop with a family sized bucket of KFC.

The point i was making was that something was said about size and you automatically thought of bigger people and connected that to a bad diet and lack of exercise (the girl didn't write 'it's to make people who are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise feel better about themselves). It doesn't matter whether you wrote 'when the PEOPLE in mention' are blah blah blah.

I have tried to write this in Layman terms so you will understand, if you don't then I will send you the copy of the thesaurus and dictionary you suggested I buy. I have a felling you'll need it more than I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I am not defending Topshop for making sizes bigger, I think that's an underhanded ploy to sell more clothes. Criticism where it's due, and all that.

I am defending Topshop from your ridiculous comments though. How does making each size bigger make people think wearing smaller sizes mean you have an eating disorder? You make no sense.

If all the sizes are made bigger, then it's all relative. If I'm normally a 10 but a Topshop 8, then I'm not going to assume that someone wearing a Topshop 4 suffers some kind of disease because in reality they're probably a 6. And you can't blame Topshop for the image of the size 4 perpetuated by the media, or the fact that some people are naturally mean and would want to say horrible things to someone because they are skinny!

Good for you on the not succumbing, but what has that got to do with the thread?
    I make no sense? Lol, you should really read through all my posts properly and maybe consider getting yourself a thesaurus and dictionary combination too. Or if you already have one then use it! My comments aren't ridiculous whereas as yours...well, let's just say that is where you can apply your adjective too. By making sizes bigger, the sizes that were once considered small are now even smaller.:rolleyes: Plus I do know about relativity; I've come across it in both Science and Maths too. You might not assume that but I have come across lots of ppl that do assume exactly that. Therefore if you don't assume that then you shouldn't be taking this too personally. Yes, I am normally a size 6 though some size 8's do fit. (PS I'm talking about UK sizes here). Don't tell me what I can and can't do- who do you think you are? (That's a rhetorical question btw). I don't blame Topshop because of what the media and ppl do naturally etc, I'm just saying that they don't really stand back and contribute nothing to the situation. Succumbing has to do with the thread as it is you that brought up ppl reading Heat & Closer etc, which are part of the media and then linked onto that is fashion.

ReputationRep:
    i'm starting to feel bad for being a "bigger person" now. I mean hell if topshop are making sizes bigger and they still don't fit me.... *walks to the nearest cliff*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Dynamite_)
    Well how the hell would you know what these 'bigger people' eat and the amount of exercise they do unless they are being carried around top shop with a family sized bucket of KFC.

The point i was making was that something was said about size and you automatically thought of bigger people and connected that to a bad diet and lack of exercise (the girl didn't write 'it's to make people who are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise feel better about themselves). It doesn't matter whether you wrote 'when the PEOPLE in mention' are blah blah blah.

I have tried to write this in Layman terms so you will understand, if you don't then I will send you the copy of the thesaurus and dictionary you suggested I buy. I have a felling you'll need it more than I do.
    NO! How many times do I have to reiterate this same point? (That is a rhetorical question btw). When I said the "ppl in mention", I meant the ppl who are bigger because they don't have a good diet or do enough exercise, therefore I wasn't referring to all ppl that are bigger. Now do you understand? And referring back to the bold bit, you just contradicted yourself. Plus I am an A*; top grade student that walks around with my eyes wide opened and an open mind.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.