The Student Room Group

Are SQA English Folios Checked For Plagiarism?

Is every piece of writing submitted to the SQA as part of an English folio checked for plagiarism?

Do you think I would be penalised for using two sentences from a newspaper article in part of my conclusion?

Can plagiarism checkers pick it up if you just rearrange the words or rephrase the sentence?

Is it dealt with harshly? I'm not sure whether it's worth the risk...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Defensive Gnome
Is every piece of writing submitted to the SQA as part of an English folio checked for plagiarism?

Do you think I would be penalised for using two sentences from a newspaper article in part of my conclusion?

Can plagiarism checkers pick it up if you just rearrange the words or rephrase the sentence?

Is it dealt with harshly? I'm not sure whether it's worth the risk...

Yes. They have very good equipment for detection.

Depends... Why don't you quote it, and mention it in the bibliography?

I think so, depends how much you change I think.

If work is flagged as plagerised, its sent to the principle assessor. If s/he see's clear plagerism the piece will fail completely (either 0/25, or you fail the full folio component)
I need advice with my national 5 folio
Original post by Rebeccahughes15
I need advice with my national 5 folio

What kind of advice do you need?
Original post by studyranger
What kind of advice do you need?

I have handed my folio in months ago but I'm worried because I took one sentence from the Internet. Will I get marks taken off me?
I have handed my folio in months ago but I'm worried because I took one sentence from the Internet. Will I get marks taken off me?

I'm not 100% sure, but to the best of my knowledge (someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)...
The submissions can be checked for plagiarism and it would be really obvious to the marker if you had copied whole chunks from the internet/ books as the style of writing would change.
However, if you have acknowledged all of your sources at the end and if it was only one sentence you should (I think) be ok.
Try not to worry about it as the national 5 folios will have already been sent away to the SQA, so there is nothing you can do about it. Just concentrate on the main exam now and good luck!
Original post by Labrador99
I'm not 100% sure, but to the best of my knowledge (someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)...
The submissions can be checked for plagiarism and it would be really obvious to the marker if you had copied whole chunks from the internet/ books as the style of writing would change.
However, if you have acknowledged all of your sources at the end and if it was only one sentence you should (I think) be ok.
Try not to worry about it as the national 5 folios will have already been sent away to the SQA, so there is nothing you can do about it. Just concentrate on the main exam now and good luck!

Thankyou for the advice
Thankyou for the advice

I think I should be okay, it was only one short sentence

Nope I definitely don't think so if it was just one sentence. I did the same last year and was so, so worried about it but I got 29/30 on my folio so I don't think it affected it! Don't worry, they only take it seriously if you've literally copy and pasted massive chunks and paragraphs from the internet!! You'll be fine!!
Original post by Sunshine2305
Nope I definitely don't think so if it was just one sentence. I did the same last year and was so, so worried about it but I got 29/30 on my folio so I don't think it affected it! Don't worry, they only take it seriously if you've literally copy and pasted massive chunks and paragraphs from the internet!! You'll be fine!!

Wow! Thankyou so so much! Well done what an amazing Mark ☺️☺️
So the folio, assignments etc don't automatically get checked. Is it just if the marker thinks there is a change to the writing style?
Original post by Radioking
So the folio, assignments etc don't automatically get checked. Is it just if the marker thinks there is a change to the writing style?

I'm not sure...The SQA website says "SQA uses software that identifies plagiarism and collusion. This software matches copied phrases and text with the sources they’ve been taken from" (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/71528.html).I think we all need to assume that they are all checked for plagiarism, just to be safe... Besides, it's good practice to use your own words and reference fully, which they are VERY strict about in university- a university lecturer that came into my school told us about a student of his who had done an excellent piece of work for one of the end of year exams. But, she had exactly copied one sentence from a source and had missed that source from her reference list (which was otherwise very good and extensive) and nearly got kicked out of the university...I'm pretty sure she had to have a hearing to decide whether or not she was allowed to stay!
Original post by Labrador99
I'm not sure...The SQA website says "SQA uses software that identifies plagiarism and collusion. This software matches copied phrases and text with the sources they’ve been taken from" (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/71528.html).I think we all need to assume that they are all checked for plagiarism, just to be safe... Besides, it's good practice to use your own words and reference fully, which they are VERY strict about in university- a university lecturer that came into my school told us about a student of his who had done an excellent piece of work for one of the end of year exams. But, she had exactly copied one sentence from a source and had missed that source from her reference list (which was otherwise very good and extensive) and nearly got kicked out of the university...I'm pretty sure she had to have a hearing to decide whether or not she was allowed to stay!

Yeah they probably all are. But your right Uni's are very strict regarding that sort of thing. So does the SQA just check against your sources I wasnt sure if they checked against other candidates be it current or previous candidates?
Original post by Radioking
Yeah they probably all are. But your right Uni's are very strict regarding that sort of thing. So does the SQA just check against your sources I wasnt sure if they checked against other candidates be it current or previous candidates?

From the SQA website:
"SQA uses software that identifies plagiarism and collusion. This software matches copied phrases and text with the sources they’ve been taken from." (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/71528.5726.html).
And on another part of the website:
"Collusion means working with others when you should be working alone. It applies to giving help, getting help, and sharing passwords, files and paperwork. Everyone involved in collusion is breaking the rules not just the person who has asked for help. If another candidate asks you for help, you should suggest that they speak to the teacher or lecturer.
If you are working as part of a group (eg on a group project), you must make sure that all the written work you submit is your own.
If you are having difficulty with your coursework, the very best advice comes directly from teachers and lecturers." (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/71533.5725.html)
When these two pieces of information are combined, it is quite clear that the SQA can and will check that you have not copied from websites, books, etc as well as checking that you have not copied from other candidates.
Also, the coursework is sent away in packages, so your work will be in a package with several other people from your school doing the same qualification, so it could be that a marker would read one person's submission and then read another with parts that are copied from it immediately after, in which case they would probably notice.

Also, before you submit each piece of coursework, you need to fill in a flyleaf that has a declaration on it that you need to sign to confirm that it is all your own work, amongst other things, so if it wasn't, you would have committed both plagiarism and/or collusion AND have made a false declaration.

Hope this helps
The sqa only take marks away from you if you have copied a massive chunk from a website. If it was only a few sentences you will be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was a girl who did the exact same thing I did. Copied a sentence or two and didn't put it in her references as she forgot the website. And for her folio she got 29/30.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was a girl who did the exact same thing I did. Copied a sentence or two and didn't put it in her references as she forgot the website. And for her folio she got 29/30.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it nearly the exact same?
It was the exact same copied sentence and she didn't get marked down. Don't worry about it. They only take marks off you if you copy a massive chunk from the Internet. A couple of sentences are okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry honestly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry honestly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havent copied I was just curious.

Also I have always wondered how do they check handwritten documents for plagiarism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending