Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm final year at Leeds doing law, but am doing the LPC at Sheffield in September and live in Sheffield, currently commuting to Leeds.

Does anyone know if I would be able to use the library at the law school, even though I'm not (yet) a student there? My tutor says some uni's have a partnership-style agreement whereby as long as you show a student ID, you can use their library for reference only... does anyone know if Sheffield is part of this???

Of failing this, whats the security like, can I just walk in and look at books and sit and do a bit of work? Or do you need a Sheff Uni ID or anything? I know at my uni anyone can just walk in, as long as you don't try and walk back out with an armful of books lol!!
    Or if I just pop in and speak to the librarian (or phone someone to do with the LPC - I've paid my deposit, so its all definate) are they pretty nice, do you think they'll just let me use it?

Sorry for rambling, but my uni's library is rubbish anyway, and its over an hours drive away, and now lectures are over I have no other reason to drive to Leeds!!

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be able to just go in and use the law library (Crookesmoor), as, at the moment this is the only one of our big library's that does not require an ID card (which you have to swipe) to gain access - yet.

However, saying that you could easily get into the other libraries where you do need an ID card by saying you've not got your student ID card with you - I took a friend into the main library who's from another uni the other day, and we just told the security guard he'd forgot his ID card and they are pretty cool about it - he just had to sign in. I've done that myself before too when I really have forgot my ID card - they don't check anything. Obviously you can't take anything out. Plus you'd have no IT access either.

However, I would recommend you looking at http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/library/services/ or e-mailing [email protected] and seeing what they can do for you, as I'm sure there is some kind of legitimate scheme that will allow you properly 'authorised' access to Sheffield's facilities.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    That helps hugely, thankyou
    I think I'll just pop up next week, armed with my assignments and ask if I can have access

ReputationRep:
    you won't be able to take books out obviously... but yeah i do law, and you can just walk into the crookesmoore library... no ucard or authorisation needed (unlike the main library). it's a good library too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjoc28)
    you won't be able to take books out obviously...
    not obviously at all,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjoc28)
    you won't be able to take books out obviously... but yeah i do law, and you can just walk into the crookesmoore library... no ucard or authorisation needed (unlike the main library). it's a good library too
    That's great thanks. Do you know the opening hours etc over the Easter holidays by any chance? I was planning on spending 10-6ish there on Wednesday and Thursday....

ReputationRep:
    For opening hours, see:- http://www.shef.ac.uk/library/libsites/cmopen.html

ReputationRep:
    yeh u can walk into crooksmoor library no problems and sit down and work, the library itself is rubbish though ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol_student)
    For opening hours, see:- http://www.shef.ac.uk/library/libsites/cmopen.html
    Excellent thanks

ThePhantom .... it cannot be worse than Leeds Met I promise you!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thePhantom)
    the library itself is rubbish though ...
    Really? I thought it was fairly decent. Obvious room for improvement though.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be able to just go in and use the law library (Crookesmoor), as, at the moment this is the only one of our big library's that does not require an ID card (which you have to swipe) to gain access - yet.
    It's not the only one; you don't need any ID to get into the geography library either... just walk in and get on with reading/working without any interruption.

I was under the impression the main library is the only one that requires your ucard for entry.

ReputationRep:
    A very nice lady sold me a copycard, showed me where everything was, and I was very impressed Found everything I needed.
    You're lucky people at Sheffield to have this library

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    It's not the only one; you don't need any ID to get into the geography library either... just walk in and get on with reading/working without any interruption.

I was under the impression the main library is the only one that requires your ucard for entry.
    I'm not sure. However, I wouldn't call geography one of the big libraries... I was thinking Main Library, Crookesmoor and the other one... can't remember what that's called!

You are right though, I have never come across any department's library that needs a UCard.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. However, I wouldn't call geography one of the big libraries... I was thinking Main Library, Crookesmoor and the other one... can't remember what that's called!

You are right though, I have never come across any department's library that needs a UCard.
    The only library that needs a ucard is the main one, the st georges one has flappy barriers but you don't need a card.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.