Turn on thread page Beta

Seems a tad strange watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We have collected a total of 86.2% [ do your part, donate here ]

It was around the 82 % mark 3 weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    Whats strange?

Did you expect it to go down? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I would say that's very strange....

ReputationRep:
    Why's it strange??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobodyReally)
    Why's it strange??
    becase it increased suddenly? might be to do with all the chats about adverts making people wanna donate so there are less...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobodyReally)
    Why's it strange??
    Proably because the rate of growth of the fund has been dismal at the very least.

I think pig just hasn't gotten round to updating the bar.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if it is still due for an update.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    I think pig just hasn't gotten round to updating the bar.
    :ditto:

But I'm glad you're keeping a constant monitor of the collection! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it's strange. It's gone up 4% which is the equivalent of a person donating £20. I guess that's about it.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    I don't see how it's strange. It's gone up 4% which is the equivalent of a person donating £20. I guess that's about it.

MB
    Or four people donating £5.... but I suppose you already knew that!

ReputationRep:
    i donated a pound. not a lot but i thought that was good of me since i hadnt been using the site long when i did it. if everyone did that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefin)
    i donated a pound. not a lot but i thought that was good of me since i hadnt been using the site long when i did it. if everyone did that...
    :congrats: :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Whats a cluster setup? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo~)
    Whats a cluster setup? :hmmmm:
    Basically, it's a setup whereby multiple servers are responsible for the serving of TSR's pages. Instead of a singular powerful server. This has several advantages such as scalability.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it being upgraded to a cluster set up anyway? The response rate works perfectly fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    Alright it could be a tad faster I suppose, not sure if a cluster set up is worth the hassle though.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, it's a setup whereby multiple servers are responsible for the serving of TSR's pages. Instead of a singular powerful server. This has several advantages such as scalability.
    OK thanks :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think, if I am right in saying, that each server is assigned to a different task?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsical)
    I think, if I am right in saying, that each server is assigned to a different task?
    Well assuming there's a cluster of 5 servers. It's quite possibe that TSR staff will dedicate 1 server to just serving the static material (pictures (including all the avatars!), attachments, html web pages), 3 servers to run the PHP scripts like showthread.php, and the remaining server dedicated for the running of the MySQL database.

This way each server can be individually customised for its intended purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Well assuming there's a cluster of 5 servers. It's quite possibe that TSR staff will dedicate 1 server to just serving the static material (pictures (including all the avatars!), attachments, html web pages), 3 servers to run the PHP scripts like showthread.php, and the remaining server dedicated for the running of the MySQL database.

This way each server can be individually customised for its intended purpose.
    :hmmmm:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.