Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    RAF

I have a foreign national step parent along with extensive family abroad and thus cannot obtain the higher level security clearance. I wish I had known this before applying and having filter interview.

I am told that I can still go for Admin branch which is my second choice.

Does anyone else know of other branches DO NOT require high level security clearance?

ReputationRep:
    see my post in the int topic, Im in a similar situ and wasnt told until a couple of days ago, i was told last week you can apply for Flt Ops, Admin, supply, FC, ATC just not Int and Provost but that may have changed by next week

ReputationRep:
    I went for one branch but after passing the filter interview changed my first chocie to Provost.

I got a letter saying that I could not obtain the high level security clearance.

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if it would make any difference if I decided to join but not as an officer. Would having a foreign national parent make any difference then?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Almost certainly yes, I'm afraid. However, if your heart is dead set on this, you might be inclined to press your case a little. For example, is your parent from a NATO member country? If so, then it's a rather ballsy move by the MoD to suggest that this makes you a security risk. I'd at least make sure that I had written sight of the ruling that precluded me from my chosen career. Have you looked at the Vetting Agency website to see if there is any information on there?

If your parent is fully assimilated into the UK, eg has lived here since a child, if you have never been to this country, don't speak the language etc, this might all strengthen your case. It just seems strange to me that in this day and age when people have more diverse backgrounds anyway, the threats are more diverse, and the international component to security is so much greater, that there is not a greater effort made to vet, rather than reject people on this basis. Just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't be able to apply for WSOp Linguist either if you were considering a NC Aircrew role.

ReputationRep:
    They had no problems with this until I declared that my dad was married to a Polish woman (who has British citizenship).

There must be some way round this, especially now we are all in the same club what with NATO and Europe.

ReputationRep:
    threeportdrift: you make a totally logical argument but unfortunatley the system is not as simple...,

ReputationRep:
    StaVix - I doubt very much that travelling to certain foreign countries would exclude you from high level DV clearance. I had travlled to Russia, Cuba, Iran and China and still obtained Enhanced Vetting which allowed me access to STRAP and higher level material. DV officer said to me it was no problem as long as i explained it and was open.

However the parent thing can be a problem. No easy answer there I am afraid

ReputationRep:
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I find it extremely strange that a holiday in Thailand precludes you from getting a clearance. I was DV'd for entry as a PI back in 1988, the old Cold War days! I had been on a 2 weeks trip to the USSR, including freetime in Moscow, Leningrad and several of the Baltic States. I also had a Argentine grandparent and had spent 6 weeks in southern Argentina, not long after the Falkands War. None of this stopped me getting a clearance.

If I was dead set on a branch that required a DV (and remember that posting opportunities in many branches could be curtailed by not being able to get clearance) I would be pressing the point very hard. What does your MP think about this?

Of course I don't know your family circumstances, but if this step-parent is not one that has brought you up through your formative years, ie has only been on the scene for a few years, what do they have to do with you? ie can you show that they have not had any/much influence on your up-bringing? Given that much of the US is populated by people with eastern european heritage this all seems very suspect to me.

I will think on it and pm if I come up with anything constructive, because it seems a very specious excuse they have given you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.