Is Studying Better or doing past papers? Watch

Mike23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is studying/revising better or doing about 10 years past papers like 2 weeks before the exam? This question is really in relation to Geography......... Pls help, 3 weeks for my exams and i have not touched geography, i dont've time to do both.... PLS HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.....
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Get the basics into your head by studying, but dive into past papers as soon as you're remotely confident.
amywalters
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah past papers, its alrite getting the knowledge, but answering questions about the stuff makes it 10 times harder, because its put into a context.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
Get the basics into your head by studying, but dive into past papers as soon as you're remotely confident.
Totally agree.

I knew basically everything there was to know for my Geography A-level, but I didnt do enough exam practice (especially on the essays) and really ****ed up my Year 13 module exams, dragged me down from an A at AS to a C overall.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A combination of both, ideally. If you dive straight into practice papers, you might find that you haven't got the basics covered and panic, or else you don't know how to answer a question and end up 'wasting' a past paper (because once you've seen the questions it's not as much of a good practice). Try and cover the basics first, then do past questions.
XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah do a some revision then do a practise paper or two. Mark it and then revise any topics where you didnt do two well. Then do some more practise papers and again look at weak areas.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Unfortunately they test exam technique (too much imo) as well as your knowledge. But having knowledge doesnt help if you dont tick the boxes.
Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't dive straight into past paper, all it will lead to is question-spotting and you can't always predict what questions might come up. Yes, there are some topics that are always a favourite with the examiners but still it is better to know all your facts and then do past papers, but as silent ninja said above, you really have to write what they are looking for.
Mike23
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
thanks for everyones advice, i think i will learn the basics properly first.....
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by something)
thanks for everyones advice, i think i will learn the basics properly first.....
Definitely, otherwise looking at past papers will only make you panic about how much you don't know and demotivate you. As someone else said, past papers can be used once you've gone over the basics to identify the topics you struggle with the most and then you can focus on doing proper revision for those.
okfaye!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When i did my science modulars last year i did really bad and i had the chance to re-sit. I read through the pages in the revision guide then all i did was past papers and i went from E's and D's to B's :p: worked well for me! I suppose you get better at the exam techniques at the same time too.
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Study first, then do some past papers with your notes, then try doing some past papers without your notes.
sim90
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Both
sim90
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
Study first, then do some past papers with your notes, then try doing some past papers without your notes.
ohhhh thats great advice... y didnt i think of that

repped u
marshmallow_mayhem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Past papers-but with the mark schemes. That way, you're more likely to learn the right answers.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
get a bit of basics into your head

then do past year papers

then check your mistakes with the answers

learn the questions/topics you got wrong

understand why u got those questions wrong and understand how to get the correct answers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (202)
53.44%
No (176)
46.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise