Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is studying/revising better or doing about 10 years past papers like 2 weeks before the exam? This question is really in relation to Geography......... Pls help, 3 weeks for my exams and i have not touched geography, i dont've time to do both.... PLS HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.....

ReputationRep:
    Get the basics into your head by studying, but dive into past papers as soon as you're remotely confident.

ReputationRep:
    yeah past papers, its alrite getting the knowledge, but answering questions about the stuff makes it 10 times harder, because its put into a context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Get the basics into your head by studying, but dive into past papers as soon as you're remotely confident.
    Totally agree.

I knew basically everything there was to know for my Geography A-level, but I didnt do enough exam practice (especially on the essays) and really ****ed up my Year 13 module exams, dragged me down from an A at AS to a C overall.

ReputationRep:
    A combination of both, ideally. If you dive straight into practice papers, you might find that you haven't got the basics covered and panic, or else you don't know how to answer a question and end up 'wasting' a past paper (because once you've seen the questions it's not as much of a good practice). Try and cover the basics first, then do past questions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do a some revision then do a practise paper or two. Mark it and then revise any topics where you didnt do two well. Then do some more practise papers and again look at weak areas.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they test exam technique (too much imo) as well as your knowledge. But having knowledge doesnt help if you dont tick the boxes.

ReputationRep:
    Don't dive straight into past paper, all it will lead to is question-spotting and you can't always predict what questions might come up. Yes, there are some topics that are always a favourite with the examiners but still it is better to know all your facts and then do past papers, but as silent ninja said above, you really have to write what they are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for everyones advice, i think i will learn the basics properly first.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by something)
    thanks for everyones advice, i think i will learn the basics properly first.....
    Definitely, otherwise looking at past papers will only make you panic about how much you don't know and demotivate you. As someone else said, past papers can be used once you've gone over the basics to identify the topics you struggle with the most and then you can focus on doing proper revision for those.

ReputationRep:
    When i did my science modulars last year i did really bad and i had the chance to re-sit. I read through the pages in the revision guide then all i did was past papers and i went from E's and D's to B's :p: worked well for me! I suppose you get better at the exam techniques at the same time too.

ReputationRep:
    Study first, then do some past papers with your notes, then try doing some past papers without your notes.

ReputationRep:
    Both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Study first, then do some past papers with your notes, then try doing some past papers without your notes.
    ohhhh thats great advice... y didnt i think of that

repped u

ReputationRep:
    Past papers-but with the mark schemes. That way, you're more likely to learn the right answers.

ReputationRep:
    get a bit of basics into your head

then do past year papers

then check your mistakes with the answers

learn the questions/topics you got wrong

understand why u got those questions wrong and understand how to get the correct answers.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.