veni, vidi, vici
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hey im jus wonderin, with 8A*s,2a's and 2b's (one of which is GCSE maths and on target for 3a's and a b at as-level maths,physics,ict and business&economics and hopefulli 3a's at a-level maths,physics,business&economics is it worth applyin at LSE for economics? my gcse maths was reali dwn to a bad day n im retakin it in november n should get an A* n thinkin of putting something like this in my ps to explain this,

"despite not feeling well on the exam day and still getting a B on the higher paper at GCSE Mathematics, i was not content with sitting back and making excuses and had the determination to re-take the exam and achieve the A* which i knew i could achieve"

so what dya think? also, wud it be worth applying for economics at cambridge? thanks :tsr2:
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Business & Economics is considered as one 'A' level subject? If so, your 'A' levels are comparatively week. Many people out there take 4 traditional and solid 'A' level subjects. You're only taking 3, one of which is "dodgy".

Your GCSE grades are great if not for that B at GCSE.. but considering you're retaking it, and you're predicted an A for maths at 'A' level, I don't think it's a problem at all.

With that said, you definitely should apply to both LSE and Cambridge.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be honest if you're going to get an A in Maths at A-level, then they're not going to be too bothered with your GCSE Maths result, so a minor mention about what happened would probably make sense, but you shouldn't have to worry to much about it.
valerious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont think there's such an Alevel subject called "business&economics" are you sure??

yeah, best to take 4 traditional, non blacklisted. though there are people with 3, one of which is blacklisted got places( me!) , luck is not for us to rely on.
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive also got to agree about the "business and econ" alevel one; sounds a bit dodgy (in the sense of it might not be considered as a "proper" alevel and so would be disregarded and put you in a disadvantaged position).

I wouldnt write the thing about the maths; its like you're making excuses (well you are!), plus what with the work for AS and all, i highly doubt you're going to have the energy to retake a gcse which is not really neccessary. plus mentioning it, only draws unnecessary attention to it. just make sure you get an A at AS and A2 and thats it!
yes, why not apply to cam and lse? what have you got to lose?
veni, vidi, vici
Rep:
?
yup it's edexcel's nuffield business&economics course! didn't realise i had to take 4 full a-levels despite a standard offer being 3 a-levels,dyamm

edit: so even if im prepared to take GCSE maths again this november, dya think it ain't worth the effort or i might as well if im sure il get an A*?
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by atz)
yup it's edexcel's nuffield business&economics course! didn't realise i had to take 4 full a-levels despite a standard offer being 3 a-levels,dyamm

edit: so even if im prepared to take GCSE maths again this november, dya think it ain't worth the effort or i might as well if im sure il get an A*?
if i were you, i wouldnt retake
mademoiselle84
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeh i think you have a chance- maybe you could pick up another AS subject? i'd retake maths gcse if i were you, it will be easy for you now...
veni, vidi, vici
Rep:
?
yeh im thinkin of pickin up AS english language nxt year..arghh retake or not?! :confused:
Great1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Were you actually ill on the day or did the exam just not go well? If you got a lower grade in mathematics because you were having an off day then I wouldn't re-take. LSE will ask you why you re-took your exam and saying you had a bad day won't really be taken into account by admissions tutors. If you were genuinely ill on the day, then you could re-take the exam; your school/coll will have to provide LSE with details of the illness (you'll have to get a supporting note from your GP), this will be taken into account by admissions tutors because they'll understand that you got a lower grade due to being ill (thats a valid reason for re-taking the exam)
veni, vidi, vici
Rep:
?
wud i reali need to note from my GP, simply because i geniunely wasnt feelin too good? i mean i didn't realli notify school of it, jus told my maths teacher n thats about it!
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by atz)
wud i reali need to note from my GP, simply because i geniunely wasnt feelin too good? i mean i didn't realli notify school of it, jus told my maths teacher n thats about it!
It'd definitely support your claims; otherwise anyone could declare that he/she was unwell during the examination, and get away with it.
Singh_87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if you are ill on exam day, dont the exam boards just bump your mark up a certain percentage? thats what i heard....
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Singh_87)
if you are ill on exam day, dont the exam boards just bump your mark up a certain percentage? thats what i heard....
I'm not sure, but even if they do, he didn't notify his school of his illness. When I screwed up the wrist on my writing hand before one of my exams I got a doc's note and they just gave me extra time in the exam because I couldn't write properly. I think you would have to have a pretty good reason to have your marks bumped up.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah I remember I had a fever for one of my papers and I was just allowed to take the exam in a special room at the school's administrative office, and had 1 invigilator all to myself. She gave me additional time to complete the paper and even served me water midway...sweet

Thankfully there was no record on the cert saying that I had sat for the paper under special circumstances, because it was quite a pain to be writing an essay in such a situation!
eh_crimbo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i really didnt think i'd get into LSE, applied for a "joke"...or so i convinced myself... became the happiest girly in the northern hemisphere when i got in... now turned it down for art foundation...so i think you should too, just write a uber fab personal statment
Johan C
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You should always bother. It's only one slot out of the six, and what do you risk ? Nothing, but you could well be happily surprised.
hongkongstudent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by atz)
hey im jus wonderin, with 8A*s,2a's and 2b's (one of which is GCSE maths and on target for 3a's and a b at as-level maths,physics,ict and business&economics and hopefulli 3a's at a-level maths,physics,business&economics is it worth applyin at LSE for economics? my gcse maths was reali dwn to a bad day n im retakin it in november n should get an A* n thinkin of putting something like this in my ps to explain this,

"despite not feeling well on the exam day and still getting a B on the higher paper at GCSE Mathematics, i was not content with sitting back and making excuses and had the determination to re-take the exam and achieve the A* which i knew i could achieve"

so what dya think? also, wud it be worth applying for economics at cambridge? thanks :tsr2:
Two non-traditional subjects might hurt your chances. You *need* an 'A' at Alevel Maths. If you are going to drop something, I'd suggest you drop ICT since at least Business and Economics has 'some' relevance (and its an essay subject) even it if it isn't as good as doing straight Economics. GCSEs look good aside from maths, which does look quite worrying, so retaking it wouldn't be a bad idea I guess. Like mademoiselle mentioned, maybe taking up another AS-level would be a good idea, although don't bother if you think it'll affect your chances of getting AAA with your 3 Alevels which are minimum.

And as Johan C mentioned, you might as well try since its only 1 of 6 slots.
ocane111
Report 13 years ago
why you guys all want to apply lse economics at ucl is better
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ocane111)
why you guys all want to apply lse economics at ucl is better
You've made 3 posts on TSR so far, and in all 3 posts, you've basically only said that "UCL economics is better than LSE".

Stop trolling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (9)
7.96%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (12)
10.62%
No, but maybe I will look into it (28)
24.78%
No and I wouldn't consider it (64)
56.64%

Watched Threads