Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do the characters and the magic world celebrate Christmas and Easter with such vigour when they are muggle festivals and yet all wizards seem to look down on the muggle world?

Also I don't think there can be many wizards/witches in the UK when there seems to be just one high school? The years seem pretty small as well I can only think of 5 boys in gryffindor in Harry's year

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Jesus was a wizard? Would make sense actually ... kinda. Hm.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the second question, JK has answered that one. According to her, there are always 1,000 students at Hogwarts and currently 40 in Harrys year. It might not seem it, but she is the boss. There are two other girls in Gryffindor in Harrys year, but JK has never thought to metion their names :p:.

And as for the first one, who says it is a muggle celebration? There doesn't appear to be any wizard celebrations, so they may as well use muggle ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    Maybe Jesus was a wizard? Would make sense actually ... kinda. Hm.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skoolsux67)
    LOL
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why just because they're wizards they couldn't be religious too...

And don't loads of celebrations come from pagan festivals and stuff? Possible linkage with wizardingness there...? (I don't know much about paganism lol :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidekick)
    I see no reason why just because they're wizards they couldn't be religious too...

And don't loads of celebrations come from pagan festivals and stuff? Possible linkage with wizardingness there...? (I don't know much about paganism lol :p:)
    You also have to remember that we Brits celebrate Halloween, and that is an American holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    You also have to remember that we Brits celebrate Halloween, and that is an American holiday.
    Well, I think it's more popular in America, but we have All Saints Day (the day after Hallowe'en) in england, and so I'm sure all hallows eve or whatever the proper name for it is exists in england too... I could be wrong but I'm not sure about that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think it's more popular in America, but we have All Saints Day (the day after Hallowe'en) in england, and so I'm sure all hallows eve or whatever the proper name for it is exists in england too... I could be wrong but I'm not sure about that.

No Ur right!!!!.............well tats the way it is in wee Ireland!!!

Well Twiness hows da week goin 4 ya??:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo-irish-jojo)
    No Ur right!!!!.............well tats the way it is in wee Ireland!!!

Well Twiness hows da week goin 4 ya??:p:
    Fiiine thank you, fellow twin
    Am still SOO excited from booking the bonnie tickets!! Just gotta find a hotel now lol!

ReputationRep:
    We also have Missy Night (or Mischeif Night rather). That is a British holiday which the Americans pinched.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    We also have Missy Night (or Mischeif Night rather). That is a British holiday which the Americans pinched.
    Really? Never heard of that lol!

ReputationRep:
    Really? Never heard of that lol!
    You've never heard of Missy Night :eek: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    You've never heard of Missy Night :eek: ?
    Nope!

ReputationRep:
    Nope!
    Its the night before Halloween where you go out an egg/toliet paper peoples houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Its the night before Halloween where you go out an egg/toliet paper peoples houses.
    Random! I thought people generally did that ON halloween night...

ReputationRep:
    Random! I thought people generally did that ON halloween night...
    Well you see it was orginally on Missy Night, but since then it has merged into Halloween. But loads of people (and by people I mean teenagers) still prank on Mischief Night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well you see it was orginally on Missy Night, but since then it has merged into Halloween. But loads of people (and by people I mean teenagers) still prank on Mischief Night.
    Wow! Well I never knew that! Cool

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.