Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

is this too much? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok, i bought a victorian corset a while ago in black satin, its absolutely lush!

i was planning to wear it to this summer ball that i've got coming up in june, and i found a truly gorgeous painting on the internet (check out the attachment).

the question is, are the pearls and the choker with the corset too much for a summer ball? forget the mask, this isn't somthing out of eyes wide shut.

your thoughts would be appreciated. xx
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Although it looks stunning in that painting, I think it could look overdone. I'd stick with just the pearls personally but definitely have your hair like that.. loose with a bit of a curl, so pretty!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's absolutely stunning. But I'm a guy.

ReputationRep:
    looks a little over the top

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, id wear just the corset with the pearls...or the choker, not both it cud go over the top! otherwise im liking!!

ReputationRep:
    I really like it, but without the choker. I think it could look quite strange with a choker and pearls even though it looks good in the painting

ReputationRep:
    thank you <3, but i'm not so sure...

i've been thinking about this through dinner (it was dull) and i've approximated what it would look like. take a peek and let me know what you think. i almost love it, but still not 100% sure...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    The pearls look a little bit too long in your photos. In the painting they don't go down as far as the dress and that seems to add something more. Maybe if you could try the same thing with your pearls, then it would look better. But apart from that I think it all looks good

I think it looks good but yeah, maybe the pearls could be a little shorter.

If I could dress like that every single day, I would.

ReputationRep:
    Looks really nice, but again i think the pearls look a little too long
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Wooo, people agree with me. Here's me who apparently knows nothing about fashion, clothes and accessories making a suggestion about some pearls and people are actually agreeing with what I said. Maybe I know more than my sister claims I do....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try just the pearls without the choker?

ReputationRep:
    it looks nice, but get a fake tan.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, that sounds gorgeous! Like other people said, i'd go for maybe the pearls or the choker, but not both as it would draw the attention away from the corset. What are you wearing on your bottom half?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    seriously, wear them both. that's the point - it's different and it's eyecatching. wearing a choker might cut you off at the neck a bit- they compliment each other well!
    Ah, finally someone who agrees with me.

ReputationRep:
    id go for pearls. use the ones you have but put them on so ey go round ur neck as like the chocker first then the rest hangs like uve done it already. (if any of that makes any sense!). as someone as alreasy said id say get a spray tan or something coz sometimes if u r pale coresets can look a bit wannabee goth or something. otherwise it looks beautiful! if u wanted to add a little somethig id say wear little lace gloves or a satin black hairband.

ReputationRep:
    I do like the choker and pearls together but agree that the pearls should be shorter.

ReputationRep:
    god knows i need a tan.... i look kinda ghostly at the mo.. my hair colour will probably be a little less 'flat' too, and i was planning on getting shorter pearls, those are my louise brooks set.

i don't have a skirt for it yet, i've got a satin fish-tail one but it only just reaches my ankles, and i want something longer.

i wouldn't ever wear the choker on its own because that's really not the look i'm going for. i'll see if i can find some shorter pearls andtry it again...

thanks for all your help guys, you can't ask flatmates, they always b*******t you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_bex)
    thank you <3, but i'm not so sure...

i've been thinking about this through dinner (it was dull) and i've approximated what it would look like. take a peek and let me know what you think. i almost love it, but still not 100% sure...
    Yeah I approve...think it looks quality...

ReputationRep:
    Pearls! You look fab !

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.