got caught with 20 grams of cannabis today......help

Watch
jus2sik
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well Im 21 years old I work part time and im in my second year of uni, I have a really bad drug problem. I smoke about a gram of weed every day, I usually buy an ounce each month for about £200 and smoke that through the month. Now today I was randomly stop and searched and they found half a gram and a vapouriser on me, because I already had 2 cautions they went to search my house where they found the rest of my ounce.

Now heres the thing, at first the cops were having a go at me and trying to provoke me and told me I was going away for a long time but then I told them why I had the weed and why I smoke so much and the truth is, I had a few things happen to me when I was growing up and Im a bit ****ed in the head. Im on the waiting list to see a psychologist on the NHS and the police signed me up for some drug rehab program and then let me off with a caution.

Now i have to go to the rehab thing on wednesday but im bit scared because I think they only let me off because they felt sorry for me when I told them everything that happened to me because I dont think they let people off with a caution for all of that. Im really scared to go to the rehab thing because they will all ask me about my life in detail and I dont realy feel comfortable going through that
Norton1
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Have a spliff to relax you beforehand?

Realistically your choices are this or prosecution. This is probably better.
Darth Stewie
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
The police in the UK can't randomly stop and search people for no reason, did the police officers give you a reason why they were searching you?

Also what do you mean they went to your house? They can either caution or charge you. To search your house they would require a warrant which is issued by the Magistrates’ Court and unless they thought someones life was in danger they cannot just enter a property without permission whenever they like.
jus2sik
Rep:
(Original post by Darth Stewie)
The police in the UK can't randomly stop and search people for no reason, did the police officers give you a reason why they were searching you?

Also what do you mean they went to your house? They can either caution or charge you. To search your house they would require a warrant which is issued by the Magistrates’ Court and unless they thought someones life was in danger they cannot just enter a property without permission whenever they like.
They can under section 18 of the misuse of drugs act since cannabis was upgraded to class b in 2010, also i reckon the coppers nicked my weed and sent me off.
Happydude
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

OP is troll, or you have some mighty bad policing going on. If what you say is true then you don't technically have to go to either court or this rehab thing since the evidence against you was obtained illegally.
Darth Stewie
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jus2sik)
They can under section 18 of the misuse of drugs act since cannabis was upgraded to class b in 2010, also i reckon the coppers nicked my weed and sent me off.
That has nothing to do with their stop and search powers, by law they must provide proof of their warrant card, information on police powers to stop and search, information on your rights, the police officer's name and police station, the reason for the search and what they think they might find when they search you.

As for entering your home if you didn't give them express permission and they did so without obtaining a warrant then they would be well outside what they are legally allowed to do and you should contact the citizens advice Bureau.
jus2sik
Rep:
(Original post by Happydude)
OP is troll, or you have some mighty bad policing going on. If what you say is true then you don't technically have to go to either court or this rehab thing since the evidence against you was obtained illegally.
no i swear to you this happened, i was completely compliant, we were on our way to uxbridge police station then he said it was full and went straight to my house, asked for my front door key, my mum was inside they brought her out to me then searched the house, they took my weed grinder vapouriser and 2 old mobile phones, then they took me to acton police station, they said because i was completely compliant theyd let me have a ciggarette before i get processed.

They were asking me if i wanted a solicitor and i said no it wont make much difference anyway, they asked a few times but i said no, this girl then took my fingerprints and photograph. Now this is really weird, she kept trembling when she was taking my fingerprints and wouldnt look me in the face and im sure i have seen her before. So there are 3 possibilities as to why she was trembling, she was either scared i would kick off because it was very busy and i was there alone with her and i used to lift weights alot so im quite big compared to her, or maybe she was just insatiably attracted to me, she looked about my age (i dont think this is very likely though), or what I think is more likely is that I think she has come into work before and I have served her and im usually quite nice to her so maybe she didnt want to see me there.

Anyways they took me to a cell and i lied there for about 10 minutes, then they took me see the drugs councilor and setup the rehab thing which isnt actually compulsory. Then they took me to my cell and i lied there for about 4 hours and they had someone watching me, i felt very depressed so I was lying on the floor (I didnt think i deserved the bench/bed thing). After a while I crawled up into the fetal position and covered my face and they must have thought I was crying or something because they kept checking on me every few minutes.

Then they interviewed me 2 officers on tape and asked me about the offences, i admitted them and they said considering that I have few problems, seemed to be of good character, and because there was insufficient evidence to suggest I was supplying they were going to give me a caution for posesion. Interview took about two minutes and then they gave me my scale phone and clothes back but kept my grinder, weed and vapouriser (worth £80), then they let me go, i walked to my friends house, told him what happened and said this seems bit off. I thought the same but hell Id rather they take my ****e and let me off rather then put me away.
Dippy Dip
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
no i swear to you this happened, i was completely compliant, we were on our way to uxbridge police station then he said it was full and went straight to my house, asked for my front door key, my mum was inside they brought her out to me then searched the house, they took my weed grinder vapouriser and 2 old mobile phones, then they took me to acton police station, they said because i was completely compliant theyd let me have a ciggarette before i get processed.

They were asking me if i wanted a solicitor and i said no it wont make much difference anyway, they asked a few times but i said no, this girl then took my fingerprints and photograph. Now this is really weird, she kept trembling when she was taking my fingerprints and wouldnt look me in the face and im sure i have seen her before. So there are 3 possibilities as to why she was trembling, she was either scared i would kick off because it was very busy and i was there alone with her and i used to lift weights alot so im quite big compared to her, or maybe she was just insatiably attracted to me, she looked about my age (i dont think this is very likely though), or what I think is more likely is that I think she has come into work before and I have served her and im usually quite nice to her so maybe she didnt want to see me there.

Anyways they took me to a cell and i lied there for about 10 minutes, then they took me see the drugs councilor and setup the rehab thing which isnt actually compulsory. Then they took me to my cell and i lied there for about 4 hours and they had someone watching me, i felt very depressed so I was lying on the floor (I didnt think i deserved the bench/bed thing). After a while I crawled up into the fetal position and covered my face and they must have thought I was crying or something because they kept checking on me every few minutes.

Then they interviewed me 2 officers on tape and asked me about the offences, i admitted them and they said considering that I have few problems, seemed to be of good character, and because there was insufficient evidence to suggest I was supplying they were going to give me a caution for posesion. Interview took about two minutes and then they gave me my scale phone and clothes back but kept my grinder, weed and vapouriser (worth £80), then they let me go, i walked to my friends house, told him what happened and said this seems bit off. I thought the same but hell Id rather they take my ****e and let me off rather then put me away.
If you're being genuine, then the bold part is why you're the worst kind of person.
Happydude
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
They didn't have a warrant, so technically shouldn't have been allowed in. This is why you need a solicitor.
ExWunderkind
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Since when do the police order you to go to rehab anyway?
Alexgadgetman
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Happydude)
They didn't have a warrant, so technically shouldn't have been allowed in. This is why you need a solicitor.
No, they only need a warrant if they don't have:
a) Evidence of an illegal activity occurring on the premises.
b) Consent from a resident (who is usually of majority age).
c) Reasonable belief, whilst in the knowledge that an illegal substance was present on the premises, that evidence would be destroyed if they did not act immediately.

All OP had to say was ' I have some more at home ' , or the police to ask ' mind if we check your house ' and have an affirmative reply to have been invited inside.

Only in the case of suspicion and a owner not allowing entry should a warrant be required.
Happydude
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alexgadgetman)
No, they only need a warrant if they don't have:
a) Evidence of an illegal activity occurring on the premises.
b) Consent from a resident (who is usually of majority age).
c) Reasonable belief, whilst in the knowledge that an illegal substance was present on the premises, that evidence would be destroyed if they did not act immediately.

All OP had to say was ' I have some more at home ' , or the police to ask ' mind if we check your house ' and have an affirmative reply to have been invited inside.

Only in the case of suspicion and a owner not allowing entry should a warrant be required.
Fair enough man, thanks for educating me! Was under the assumption they needed a warrant for anything
n00
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Well Im 21 years old I work part time and im in my second year of uni, I have a really bad drug problem. I smoke about a gram of weed every day, I usually buy an ounce each month for about £200 and smoke that through the month. Now today I was randomly stop and searched and they found half a gram and a vapouriser on me, because I already had 2 cautions they went to search my house where they found the rest of my ounce.

Now heres the thing, at first the cops were having a go at me and trying to provoke me and told me I was going away for a long time but then I told them why I had the weed and why I smoke so much and the truth is, I had a few things happen to me when I was growing up and Im a bit phukd in the head. Im on the waiting list to see a psychologist on the NHS and the police signed me up for some drug rehab program and then let me off with a caution.

Now i have to go to the rehab thing on wednesday but im bit scared because I think they only let me off because they felt sorry for me when I told them everything that happened to me because I dont think they let people off with a caution for all of that. Im really scared to go to the rehab thing because they will all ask me about my life in detail and I dont realy feel comfortable going through that
Do you really have a problem or did you just use a sob story to get you off?

If its the latter then you're a massive ******* in my book. Not only are you now stuck going to rehab when the very worst that would have happened for getting caught with an ounce is a small fine or being told to bugger off and not be such a naughty chap in the future, not only that but you screwed every other weed smoker in the process.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

They can stop you, as the guy said below.
amyshamblesxx
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
If you're as messed up in the head as you say you are, I can only highly recommend you bite the bullet and go to this rehab place.
Chickenhawk
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
That has nothing to do with their stop and search powers, by law they must provide proof of their warrant card, information on police powers to stop and search, information on your rights, the police officer's name and police station, the reason for the search and what they think they might find when they search you.

As for entering your home if you didn't give them express permission and they did so without obtaining a warrant then they would be well outside what they are legally allowed to do and you should contact the citizens advice Bureau.
The law says this, that and the other but in real-life, they can stop & search who they want and don't have to give a reason. If you refuse they'll simply arrest you for Obstruction of a Police Constable in his/her duty, and when you're arrested they have the automatic right to search you anyway (by force if necessary).

Good luck getting a complaint in about it too. Realistically who are the courts going to believe? A copper or someone who refused to let themselves be searched (and had dope on them)?
sarahthegemini
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

Now heres the thing, at first the cops were having a go at me and trying to provoke me and told me I was going away for a long time but then I told them why I had the weed and why I smoke so much and the truth is, I had a few things happen to me when I was growing up and Im a bit phukd in the head. Im on the waiting list to see a psychologist on the NHS and the police signed me up for some drug rehab program and then let me off with a caution.

But you did go through all that with the police right, you told them everything? So why would this be any different? Or have I misunderstood ... ?
sarahthegemini
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by n00)

If its the latter then you're a massive ******* in my book. Not only are you now stuck going to rehab when the very worst that would have happened for getting caught with an ounce is a small fine or being told to bugger off and not be such a naughty chap in the future, not only that but you screwed every other weed smoker in the process.
How did he?
A Cat
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

Don't be bloody compliant next time. They're just men on the street looking to get one over on you. don't let them search you. Don't give them your name. don't let them take you away.

This advice is not solely for the OP. It is for everybody. "Am I legally obligated" ? Don't let anybody, especially the cops, take negative advantage of your being.
jus2sik
Rep:
(Original post by n00)

I had few things happen to me when I was growing up and these days because its class b they will try and prosecute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.86%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (85)
22.73%
Revision guides (19)
5.08%
Past papers (171)
45.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.74%

Watched Threads