The Student Room Group

Undergrad attendance matter?

Hi, if applying to a top university, say Oxbridge for postgrad, do they look at your attendance at university for undergrad? so if you missed a lot of lectures for example, but still got a first, does it have an impact? does it affect academic references?
Reply 1
It might be mentioned in your referees statement but if you still managed to get a First it shouldn't matter.

(Is this a hypothetical situation? or reality?)
Reply 2
hypothetical, also, do postgrad look at first year attendance, getting a first etc even though you only need to pass it?
Reply 3
You are extremely unlikely to be considered for *funding* for postgrad (thats the tricky bit, not getting the place) unless you get a First or a 2.1. 'Pass' doesnt even come into it.

If you have a poor attendance record you chances of getting this sort of final grade are pretty limited.
Reply 4
I meant first year, so getting a first in first year betters your chances or no? so attendance wouldnt really be a issue as long as you went to most lecturers/seminars and came out with a first
Reply 5
Original post by Obsidi
I meant first year, so getting a first in first year betters your chances or no? so attendance wouldnt really be a issue as long as you went to most lecturers/seminars and came out with a first

They don't see your attendance. Your referees may mention it.

The point is, you'll find it difficult to gain a first or possibly a 2.i with a poor attendance. Without at least a 2.i you would be hard pushed for postgraduate funding in most every sector. So why would you not go? Not to mention you are paying for the education...

First year matters little. Following years carry the most weight as the admissions officer will understand the first year is very basic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending