The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thredders
Next week, I'll have 2 computers in the same room. I have broadband and I want both computers to share the same internet connection (so that 2 people can browse at the same time). If I connect both computers to same phone socket, would me and someone else be able to browse at the same time?

yes - ive got 4 computers going to the same one :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thredders
Next week, I'll have 2 computers in the same room. I have broadband and I want both computers to share the same internet connection (so that 2 people can browse at the same time). If I connect both computers to same phone socket, would me and someone else be able to browse at the same time?

you need to get an adsl router to share the connection
Reply 3
Tinykates
yes - ive got 4 computers going to the same one :biggrin:

i dno if there are extra thingys tho - dnt think so - can see any
Would you not just need a phone socket adapter thingy? jus guessin here.
Reply 5
Thredders

Yeah, you'll want something which can act as a router. You could either use one of the machines (but then that one would have to be on all of the time) or you could buy an ADSL router (which is a good option if you do not already have an ADSL MODEM, although you probably do by the sounds of it).
Reply 6
to share more than two computers you either have a adsl modem/router combined and connect to each computer via a network card, or you just have a standalone adsl router and connect to each computers broadband modem.

if you only wish to share between 2 computers you can use microsoft internet connection sharing without having to by a router
Reply 7
router is the best option as msoft internet sharing utility can affect performance and doesnt support msn messenger and apps like that
Reply 8
I have no idea about all this stuff but I've got 3 computers running wirelessly on broadband with a router
Reply 9
me!
I have no idea about all this stuff but I've got 3 computers running wirelessly on broadband with a router

yeh wireless routers are great it the pc's are in different places around the house because you dont have to faff around with cabling. Me n my flatmates are getting a wireless modem/router for our house when we move in, in july
Reply 10
Baron
yeh wireless routers are great it the pc's are in different places around the house because you dont have to faff around with cabling. Me n my flatmates are getting a wireless modem/router for our house when we move in, in july

it's especially great with laptops :biggrin: I can sit in my bedroom or even up in the loft conversion and be on the internet, and what's even better is that it's free cos my bro bought the router and stuff and my dad pays for broadband
Reply 11
I have a NAT router its great. It was a little tricky to setup so you will require basic knowledge of TCP/IP but if you buy a more expensive one they have instructions.

Its great because the internet connection is seamless, you don't have to dial up and every PC in the house has internet accesss 24/7.

You couild run a proxy server on one of your PCs and then just setup I.E to get the data from the IP address where the proxy is installed. However this has lots of problems as that PC has to be always be on, also perfomances and compability issues occure. Not all ports work etc.

A router is by the far the best. My ADSL 4 RJ45 NAT router cost me £44 with a built in ADSL modem. Reliability has been perfect.
Reply 12
That sounds dodgy having an internet connection broadcast around the house. Wouldn't the next door neighbours be able to tune in?

On another note, thanks everyone for your help. :smile:
Reply 13
Thredders
That sounds dodgy having an internet connection broadcast around the house. Wouldn't the next door neighbours be able to tune in?

I think it's set up as a wireless network and you have to have a password to get onto it...
Reply 14
Thredders

No its encypted but I don't think Blue tooth is, I am not sure what wireless rotuers use but I don't think its blue tooth. They won't be as secure as twisted pair CAT5 but I am sure it will be ok for home use.
Reply 15
amazingtrade
No its encypted but I don't think Blue tooth is, I am not sure what wireless rotuers use but I don't think its blue tooth. They won't be as secure as twisted pair CAT5 but I am sure it will be ok for home use.

It's definately not bluetooth I just checked mine and it's off.

EDIT: People tried hacking the network so we had to up the security on it, but it wasn't local I don't think...
Reply 16
me!

Yeah I think Blue Tooth is just used for mobile phones etc. They can't just send out the binary data without encryption though as this would be a huge security risk. Anybody with the correct reviever could decode the binary data and work out credit card details etc.
Reply 17
Thredders

easiest way is to network both of the computers together i personallyprefer wireless networking
Reply 18
amazingtrade
Yeah I think Blue Tooth is just used for mobile phones etc. They can't just send out the binary data without encryption though as this would be a huge security risk. Anybody with the correct reviever could decode the binary data and work out credit card details etc.

On my laptop I can connect with other laptops using bluetooth. And use the wireless router or modemn (not sure which) to use other local computers as a network - it's all very clever and I have no idea about how it works...
Reply 19
me!

EDIT: People tried hacking the network so we had to up the security on it, but it wasn't local I don't think...

Do you mean you installed a firewall? If a router is setup properly it should block any unwanted requests anyway. As when the user tries to hack into the computer they are hacking into a router and not a Windows operating system. A router is simply a computer that routes packets, in the case of type of routers discussed here internet packets.

Sorry for the geek talk, too much of trying to grasp object oriented programming for me tonight I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending