The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you're just talking about $$$, probably not very well.

But teaching is an extremely noble career which I personally respect. Emotionally, it pays darn well.
Reply 2
Teaching can be a wonderful job if you enjoy teaching (and are good at it) and it also depends on what you teach and at what level.

Regarding money, it depends on the level of teaching; I mean teaching A-level in a secondary school, or a university course?

If you are just working for money, then forget it. You won't teach with your heart and the students will hate you. Think about it.
Reply 3
well im thinking of getting a degree in the subject at uni then going on a 9 mth teaching course to get a degree in teaching. id like to teach at asecondary school...well id like to teach at the school im currently at actually lol. em i want to teach KS3, GCSES and A level in the subject?
Reply 4
Pay's not amazing as an ordinary teacher, but its not bad! Starts at just under £20,000 I think, and obviously goes up the longer you stick at it. My friends parents are teachers and they're pretty well off, never seem to struggle for money or anything. Also if you get to like headteacher or something, apparently it can go to about £80,000, which I doubt anyone could really complain about- I certainly wouldn't!
In terms of money, it strongly depends on what subject you are thinking of teaching. I know for a fact that the demand for maths teachers is HUGE and the pay is much better than the other subjects because there are soo few people with maths degrees willing to teach. (im speaking about the uk here btw). Its gotten to the point that schools are employing people from other countries who can barely speak english, just to teach maths!
On the other side of the coin though, english is one of the more popular ones so dont expect to get into a good job immediately because theres a greater supply than demand. Plus the pay isnt really high anyhow.

If you do decide in teaching, at the end of the day, yeah the wage plays a big part but you must also remember that you have to enjoy what you're doing. If you do, then the job itself will be rewarding and you'll be happy.. which at then end of the day is what you really want. good luck with your decision x
I think they've introduced it that new teachers will get at least £18k a year when they first start. If you go on to do extra courses etc whilst your in a school, pay will go up, even if it's slightly, for example, taking a minibus driving course, or becoming head of department etc.
popsical
I contemplated a career in teaching but am put off by students not wanting to learn (ironically I was a little bugger in my early years) and the PGCE that one has to complete. A side note: I looked at one of my lecturers' teaching timetable and the contact hours were limited. When I say limited, I'm talking 3 to 4 hours of lectures per week!

Is that good? :rolleyes:
popsical
3 to 4 hours of contact time per week? What do you think?

I don't know... I don't go to Uni so I have no idea... that's why I asked.
Very rarely come in here and bein a teach myself I should really but I feel kinda been there and done that, not meaning to offend anyone.

Asfor Teaching being a good job, for me yes it is. I am a Primary School teach (wouldn't touch high school for anything). The kids give so much back and you can change they way they see themselves and how they learn. Primary School moulds some of their thinking.

Pay, meh, I didn't go into it for the money, you can start on roughly £18k and rise depending on your area of expertise. Being a subject coordinator helps the pay packet but doesn't ease the workload. It all about shifting paper at the moment and reaching targets, takes away a lot of job satisfaction. Walking down a corridor and a child saying good morniing and having a big smile though eases this. :biggrin:
Reply 10
I can't say anything about teaching secondary - but primary is great. It is so rewarding and you are guaranteed to laugh at least once a day - not something you can guarantee in many other jobs.

Personally I can't think of a better job - however if you thinking of teaching for the money then don't go any further - the money is not good at all for the amount of work you have to put in.
Reply 11
I completely agree. Its not a bad starting salary though. I qualify as a primary school teacher this summer and i'll be earning a lot more than most of my friends which is quite nice! But where as they will be earning more in years to come and their money will come with the more experience they get, teachers will not get so much of a rise. But its definately not about the money. Its that fact that im gonna be setting the foundations and skills that children are going to use for the rest of their lives. Thats what its all about. When your standing in the school hall watching 28 children in your class dressed in xmas costumes singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" you realise there are far worse jobs out there!
Reply 12
The thing about teaching is that if you want to do a really good job of it you have to put in a lot of extra hours. And children can be pricks - so much depends on the area you teach in. you have to love those teacher ads though.
Here is a classic quote from a child during Literacy hour, we were discussing books.

Me: " Where would you find the index?"
Pupil; " In town miss!"

That seriously happened!! :toofunny:
Reply 14
*wonders what the posts Cindy deleted were about*
Knogle
*wonders what the posts Cindy deleted were about*

Stop being nosey! *slaps knogle over the knuckles with a ruler* :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending