So You Want A Tan... Watch

Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Everyone seems to be asking questions, so here are some details on the most common ways to tan.

Sunbeds

A sunbed is a device emitting ultraviolet radiation (usually UVA, but recently also UVB) used for cosmetic reasons (to induce an artificial tanning).

Advantages:

• Even, all over tan.

Disadvantages:

• Sunbeds emit UV rays (UVA and UVB) that penetrate deeply into cells and can cause gene damage. This damage can cause cancer.
  • Ages the skin.

Tips:

• Don’t use if you have fair skin or burn easily. Also, if you have freckles or moles, it is not recommended.

Airbrush Fake Tanning

A sunbed is a device emitting ultraviolet radiation (usually UVA, but recently also UVB) used for cosmetic reasons (to induce an artificial tanning) but also for medical reasons.

Advantages:

• Professional look.
  • Applied by machine, you don’t have to do the hard work. This should also mean that it will be an even tan.

Disadvantages:

• Expensive.

Tips:

• Exfoliate; pay particular attention to the lower half of your legs, knees, and ankles, top of feet, toes, elbows and knuckles.
  • Shave at least 8 hours before appointment.
  • Wear loose fitting clothes. Bring flip flops and a dark coloured swimsuit or garments to wear while being tanned.
  • Four 5 hours resist washing hands or wearing tight clothing. Don’t exercise; sweating alters the chemical reaction of the spray. Do not swim or moisturise.
  • Wait at least 8 hours before showering.

Fake Tan

A fake tan is an artificial type of suntan, usually created by applying a cream and letting the tan develop over a few hours.

Advantages:

• Healthy for your skin.
  • It is temporary.
  • Fast, so you can quickly get a tan for that late notice party.

Disadvantages:

• Doesn't last very long.
  • Streaks CAN happen.
  • Tango’d look isn’t good if it all goes wrong.
  • It smells.

Tips:

• Shave the day before (Read packets for waxing and creams, as they usually suggest a time limit).
  • Exfoliate your whole body (Body Shop scrub mitts are good, they also do a good fake tan mitt).
  • Moisturise.
  • Go from toes to your face.
  • If you can’t reach your back, get some help
  • Remember to wash your hands after use if not using gloves. If you are using gloves, remember to do the back of your hands!
  • LET IT DRY before putting on clothes.

Recommendations:

• L'oreal Paris sublime bronze self tanning gloves £10.99 (No need to exfoliate. Contains 4 gloves.)
  • Model Co Airbrush Tan in a can £26.00 (Has a 360 deg nozzle.)
  • Piz Buin Self tan Foam £12.99 (Long lasting, 5 mins drying.)
  • St Tropez Mousse

Also Useful: (Thanks to Dreama.)

• Velvotan tan correction wipes
  • St Tropez Tan Remover
  • St Tropez back applicator

Holiday Skin (Moisturisers)

A body lotion with a small amount of tanning ingredient added to it.

Advantages:

• It can be used instead of your usual moisturiser.
  • Very easy to apply.

Disadvantages:

• Takes awhile to develop.
  • Has to be applied every day.
  • Again, doesn't smell too good.
  • It can streak or go patchy.

Tips:

• Exfoliate before use!!!
  • Make sure you rub it in well and evenly.
  • Wash hands after use, but also do the backs of your hands.

Any questions, things you think need to be added?
blackcurrant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ohh thanks for this! It covers everything
mypaperheart
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For the Holiday Skin one, put that it smells awful and the smell hangs around constantly. I really liked using it but the smell made me want to gag! I thought it smelled much worse than fake tan
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosalily)
For the Holiday Skin one, put that it smells awful and the smell hangs around constantly. I really liked using it but the smell made me want to gag! I thought it smelled much worse than fake tan
Aww. I use Avon's version and it smells fine. Maybe you could try another brand. Smell them in the shop, they wont notice you opening it.
r0manticide17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Disadvantages for false tan and holiday skin : it stinks for a few days after it's developed! Like Rosalily, i agree : it smells
lollipopsticks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the piz buin foam isnt that dear were i work.its £3.99!!
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
just sit in the ****ing sun
mypaperheart
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HagerVor)
just sit in the ****ing sun
There rarely is any sun here to sit in! Otherwise, we would!
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rosalily)
There rarely is any sun here to sit in! Otherwise, we would!
well then.. use a sunbed lol..

you'll be exposed to just as many cancer causing rays in real sunlight..

hmm.. i'm pretty sure it will give you vitamin D too.. take away SAD in the winter me thinks.
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
(Original post by r0manticide17)
Disadvantages for false tan and holiday skin : it stinks for a few days after it's developed! Like Rosalily, i agree : it smells
Okay, i will add it to both. Fake tan usually does stink.
nat_x_alie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think Fake Tan smells lush! Or at least the one I tried did. I wouldn't bother with that holiday skin stuff. bleh.
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Am I the only one who's had problems with streaks using the "holiday skin" option? Oh so sexy orange patches - how could any man resist....
lollipopsticks
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yea i had problems with the dark 1 streaking
quintsy
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by twiga)
Am I the only one who's had problems with streaks using the "holiday skin" option? Oh so sexy orange patches - how could any man resist....
Yep, the problem is that it takes so long to develop- rather than the ones where they come out of the bottle how they will look on your skin.

I used the Johnson's Holiday Skin one and one leg's developed and the other is just as pale as it was in the first place.. not my most alluring look I can assure you.
hannasmith22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by twiga)
I used holiday skin and within a few days i turned brown but unless you rub in very well and evenly u streak! in my case on my arms i have darker browny/orange patches and then near white patches
clueless101
Report 13 years ago
I think fake tan smells buff! I use holiday skin which is good but i can never be assed to put it on for more than 2 days in a row so i never get the proper effect!
*~vicki~*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive used the johnsons holiday skin and i've got patches. i keep trying to even it out, but it gets worse lol never mind...
Clarence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't tan. Poo.
Lady_Muck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hate holiday skin, it makes me very orange and streaky. How terribly unattractive!

I used FakeBake - but recently started using St Tropez Mousse and it's fantastic!!
icklehc
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
im thinking of getting some fake bake. i bought some loreal self tan just to try out coz i was a beginner but now i wana spend a bit more to get a better colour. is fake bake mousse better than the lotion? im going to get a tri pack with body scrub and polish thing in it but dnt know whether to go for the mousse or lotion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (55)
26.83%
1 (32)
15.61%
2 (36)
17.56%
3 (29)
14.15%
4 (15)
7.32%
5 (16)
7.8%