Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be asking questions, so here are some details on the most common ways to tan.

Sunbeds

A sunbed is a device emitting ultraviolet radiation (usually UVA, but recently also UVB) used for cosmetic reasons (to induce an artificial tanning).

Advantages:

• Even, all over tan.

Disadvantages:

• Sunbeds emit UV rays (UVA and UVB) that penetrate deeply into cells and can cause gene damage. This damage can cause cancer.
    • Ages the skin.

Tips:

• Don’t use if you have fair skin or burn easily. Also, if you have freckles or moles, it is not recommended.

Airbrush Fake Tanning

A sunbed is a device emitting ultraviolet radiation (usually UVA, but recently also UVB) used for cosmetic reasons (to induce an artificial tanning) but also for medical reasons.

Advantages:

• Professional look.
    • Applied by machine, you don’t have to do the hard work. This should also mean that it will be an even tan.

Disadvantages:

• Expensive.

Tips:

• Exfoliate; pay particular attention to the lower half of your legs, knees, and ankles, top of feet, toes, elbows and knuckles.
    • Shave at least 8 hours before appointment.
    • Wear loose fitting clothes. Bring flip flops and a dark coloured swimsuit or garments to wear while being tanned.
    • Four 5 hours resist washing hands or wearing tight clothing. Don’t exercise; sweating alters the chemical reaction of the spray. Do not swim or moisturise.
    • Wait at least 8 hours before showering.

Fake Tan

A fake tan is an artificial type of suntan, usually created by applying a cream and letting the tan develop over a few hours.

Advantages:

• Healthy for your skin.
    • It is temporary.
    • Fast, so you can quickly get a tan for that late notice party.

Disadvantages:

• Doesn't last very long.
    • Streaks CAN happen.
    • Tango’d look isn’t good if it all goes wrong.
    • It smells.

Tips:

• Shave the day before (Read packets for waxing and creams, as they usually suggest a time limit).
    • Exfoliate your whole body (Body Shop scrub mitts are good, they also do a good fake tan mitt).
    • Moisturise.
    • Go from toes to your face.
    • If you can’t reach your back, get some help
    • Remember to wash your hands after use if not using gloves. If you are using gloves, remember to do the back of your hands!
    • LET IT DRY before putting on clothes.

Recommendations:

• L'oreal Paris sublime bronze self tanning gloves £10.99 (No need to exfoliate. Contains 4 gloves.)
    • Model Co Airbrush Tan in a can £26.00 (Has a 360 deg nozzle.)
    • Piz Buin Self tan Foam £12.99 (Long lasting, 5 mins drying.)
    • St Tropez Mousse

Also Useful: (Thanks to Dreama.)

• Velvotan tan correction wipes
    • St Tropez Tan Remover
    • St Tropez back applicator

Holiday Skin (Moisturisers)

A body lotion with a small amount of tanning ingredient added to it.

Advantages:

• It can be used instead of your usual moisturiser.
    • Very easy to apply.

Disadvantages:

• Takes awhile to develop.
    • Has to be applied every day.
    • Again, doesn't smell too good.
    • It can streak or go patchy.

Tips:

• Exfoliate before use!!!
    • Make sure you rub it in well and evenly.
    • Wash hands after use, but also do the backs of your hands.

Any questions, things you think need to be added?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh thanks for this! It covers everything

ReputationRep:
    For the Holiday Skin one, put that it smells awful and the smell hangs around constantly. I really liked using it but the smell made me want to gag! I thought it smelled much worse than fake tan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    For the Holiday Skin one, put that it smells awful and the smell hangs around constantly. I really liked using it but the smell made me want to gag! I thought it smelled much worse than fake tan
    Aww. I use Avon's version and it smells fine. Maybe you could try another brand. Smell them in the shop, they wont notice you opening it.

ReputationRep:
    Disadvantages for false tan and holiday skin : it stinks for a few days after it's developed! Like Rosalily, i agree : it smells

ReputationRep:
    the piz buin foam isnt that dear were i work.its £3.99!!

ReputationRep:
    just sit in the ****ing sun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    just sit in the ****ing sun
    There rarely is any sun here to sit in! Otherwise, we would!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    There rarely is any sun here to sit in! Otherwise, we would!
    well then.. use a sunbed lol..

you'll be exposed to just as many cancer causing rays in real sunlight..

hmm.. i'm pretty sure it will give you vitamin D too.. take away SAD in the winter me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r0manticide17)
    Disadvantages for false tan and holiday skin : it stinks for a few days after it's developed! Like Rosalily, i agree : it smells
    Okay, i will add it to both. Fake tan usually does stink.

ReputationRep:
    I think Fake Tan smells lush! Or at least the one I tried did. I wouldn't bother with that holiday skin stuff. bleh.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who's had problems with streaks using the "holiday skin" option? Oh so sexy orange patches - how could any man resist....

ReputationRep:
    yea i had problems with the dark 1 streaking

(Original post by twiga)
    Am I the only one who's had problems with streaks using the "holiday skin" option? Oh so sexy orange patches - how could any man resist....
    Yep, the problem is that it takes so long to develop- rather than the ones where they come out of the bottle how they will look on your skin.

I used the Johnson's Holiday Skin one and one leg's developed and the other is just as pale as it was in the first place.. not my most alluring look I can assure you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    I used holiday skin and within a few days i turned brown but unless you rub in very well and evenly u streak! in my case on my arms i have darker browny/orange patches and then near white patches

ReputationRep:
    I think fake tan smells buff! I use holiday skin which is good but i can never be assed to put it on for more than 2 days in a row so i never get the proper effect!

ReputationRep:
    ive used the johnsons holiday skin and i've got patches. i keep trying to even it out, but it gets worse lol never mind...

ReputationRep:
    I don't tan. Poo.

ReputationRep:
    I hate holiday skin, it makes me very orange and streaky. How terribly unattractive!

I used FakeBake - but recently started using St Tropez Mousse and it's fantastic!!

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of getting some fake bake. i bought some loreal self tan just to try out coz i was a beginner but now i wana spend a bit more to get a better colour. is fake bake mousse better than the lotion? im going to get a tri pack with body scrub and polish thing in it but dnt know whether to go for the mousse or lotion?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.