Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please, someone help me. I'm so desperate for help with my Biology investigation. It's due in for Tuesday 18th and I'm in so much trouble if it doesn't pass. The last time my teacher checked it she said I would fail it because my daybook looked as if I'd ripped all the previous pages out and just re-written everything after writing the actual investigation. It was such a mess I didn't know what to do. I've had very little support from my teacher. So she gave me a new jotter and said to re-write my "daybook" into it with as much detail as possible.

So what needs to be in the daybook? Does it get sent off to the SQA with my actual project? Please, please help me with this because if I don't pass this project then I fail the course. Just tell me what exactly should be in the daybook to get a pass.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure your "daybook" is only viewed by the SQA if your school is being moderated for that subject or they request it on viewing your project (say, if they thought you'd just made up all the results,or if they thought a teacher had given you too much help and they wan't to see what you'd done yourself). Your Daybook should just be a sort of diary (in short notes) of what you did each day you worked on your experiment. This should including setting up apparatus, obtaining results and any decisions to change an element of your project and why. Not in too much detail though, as this is only required for the project/report.

Hope this helps,
    Scots_Law

ReputationRep:
    Remember that you also need to include you aims and hypotheses and some analysis of results - basically just print out your graphs etc and stick them in. Your raw results also have to be clearly labelled in tables etc.

ReputationRep:
    You need to write about books you found.. and references to the experiments you were going to make.

Also things that you proved didn't work and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    We [my AH physics class] went to KFC and bought a huge family bucket, and we all managed to get some kind of greasy stain on atleast one of our daybook pages...

Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, I've calmed down a bit and hopefully the daybook should be okay. Well it better be okay because I've worked really hard and deserve a rest!!!! Wish me luck. Break a leg, as they say. That would be a fun new project for me, wouldn't it? Getting up and down stairs with crutches. Anyway, back to the investigation..

ReputationRep:
    If you fail the investigation, but pass the NABs and do well in the final exam, can you still pass AH biology??? Or do you fail because of the investigation?

ReputationRep:
    The investigation is technically a NAB I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yossarianlives)
    The investigation is technically a NAB I think.
    A NAB that counts for 20% of your grade?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, pretty much...

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Calling it a NAB's a bit misleading.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can remember, it is not a NAB. The mark you recieve for your investigation is part of your final mark for the course. A good project can bring you up a grade so don't just carelessly sweep it under the metaphorical carpet :rolleyes:
    Good luck
    Scots_Law

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it'll be fine anyway. I've handed the final project in, so all I can do now is make sure my daybook is detailed enough. I've worked so hard though, it would be a shame to fail the entire course just because I didn't get enough marks for the report.

So is it still possible to pass without the report?

ReputationRep:
    I actually don't think it is possible to pass if you fail the report. Actually, you'd be better looking that up on the SQA's website or asking your teacher since I'm probably wrong ... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're wrong.

All you have to pass is the DAYBOOK, which is just a pass, or a fail. That is the NAB-ish part of the investigation.

You can score ZERO on your report (by just handing in a title page which is sent to the SQA) and still pass the exam. It just means you are 25 marks down before you even start.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I knew there was something NAB-like about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    Yeah you're wrong.

All you have to pass is the DAYBOOK, which is just a pass, or a fail. That is the NAB-ish part of the investigation.

You can score ZERO on your report (by just handing in a title page which is sent to the SQA) and still pass the exam. It just means you are 25 marks down before you even start.
    HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!

That means I have a chance!!!!! My report has been sent away but I still have the daybook to tweak to perfection!!!!!!

Sorry for getting carried away, but I felt so depressed before when I thought about the report. Happy days are here again. Ahh.......

ReputationRep:
    The would say that the people I know who failed AH sciences primarily did so because of poor projects. A good project is the difference between a pass and a fail or an A and B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scots_Law)
    The would say that the people I know who failed AH sciences primarily did so because of poor projects. A good project is the difference between a pass and a fail or an A and B
    Yes, it's a scary thought. I really enjoy AH biology though, I've passed all the NABs and I think the final exam is what I'll do really well in. Hopefully I'll get a good mark for the report, but if I got a C overall I would be over the moon, because that's all I need to take up my offer for forensic science.
    It looks ok now

ReputationRep:
    Guess what!! I've passed my daybook!!!!!
    I am so relieved. At last I can relax and concentrate on learning the theory for the exam. Thanks everyone.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.