The Student Room Group

I hate university :'(

I think hate is a strong word, but i am seriously stressed at university.
Studying law, it seems as though I was behind from day one for some reason.
I try my best to organize my time but the day somehow goes so quickly.
I don't know what is happening, I attempt to study around 5 hours a day but the most I have done is 3 (excluding lectures).
We barely have any contact time (maybe a 1-3 hours a day on average) per week so i heavily rely upon myself to study and prepare for my january exams.
I am a first year student and i'm just finding the whole idea of independence and work really difficult, i just don't know what is going on with my life right now.

I think what i'm trying to say is: i am really worried about my exams in january, i feels as though i am behind with my reading and my work in general, and it is all just really overwhelming.

do you have any advice for me? :frown:

thank you.
Reply 1
bump for you
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what is happening, I attempt to study around 5 hours a day but the most I have done is 3 (excluding lectures).
We barely have any contact time (maybe a 1-3 hours a day on average) per week so i heavily rely upon myself to study and prepare for my january exams.
I am a first year student and i'm just finding the whole idea of independence and work really difficult, i just don't know what is going on with my life right now.

I think what i'm trying to say is: i am really worried about my exams in january, i feels as though i am behind with my reading and my work in general, and it is all just really overwhelming.

thank you.

you're doing the wrong subject!? You won't be surprised to hear that a lot of people only study law for 1 year and then end up dropping out or switching courses. It's a hard course! Have you considered swapping courses? Or are you passionate about the actual subject of law (and not just the job opportunities at the end)? If it's the subject you're interested in then stick it out - you'll get there in the end. Why not talk to your tutor if you're struggling? You won't be the only one to find it tough...

Most courses don't have much contact time - that's quite standard. However a lot of universities have an open door policy - so you can go and find your tutor if you need help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I think your not alone in feeling that way but it's ok to be anxious and feel stressed because it shows how important your degree is to you. Try to get a healthy balance; yes put extra study hours in your week but also have a break and relax. January will come so soon and be over with before we know it so yes be prepared but make sure you also make happy memories of your Uni experience. Talk to your tutor if you can, he/she would have had many students feel this way in the beginning :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
First of all don't panic. It's also not unusual for students to take time to adjust to university. Apart from possible moves from home ( i don't know if you've done this), many students find the new methods of learning difficult to adjust to. Many universities have information that can help - try this site (although I'm sure many other unis have equally useful info)

http://www.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/studyskills/

If you're still finding things hard then talk to someone - do you have a peer mentor system? Try your personal tutor. Welfare officer at the students union? There are people who will want to help. Help is there - it's just finding it - and don't worry about asking for help. I bet there's quite a few of your fellow students feeling exactly the same. Whatever you decide to do - good luck.
Hmm some of the comments are good. Not sure about the guy claiming it is the fact you are studying law but instead you are having problems with the general study experience of humanities/social science courses.

I will try to help the best I can by breaking a response down for you.

Original post by Anonymous

Stress is quite normal. I spent most of my BA and my MSc being in a state of constant stress.

I would say it gets easier but the stress does not really go away. However, you will find it easier to handle. Also it sounds like you are overwhelmed by different stresses. I recommend seeking help if your university/student union provides anything such as a counselling service.

I felt the same in Politics and International relations at the very start and I was one of a few to actually have done a politics A level.

It takes time to really find your feet on a course.

This is a reality of studying a social science subject. The contact hours will decrease each year giving you the time to read around the subjects.

I understand the shock this produces as up to this point education has been spoon feeding to pass exams.

Motivation is a key aspect. Now love of the subject is not enough as time management is really the biggest demon you need to face. What I did was produce a weekly time table and I spent non contact hours in the library as the environment was different (my final year I was in the library 12-16 hours a day and it got to the point I knew all the night time security guards by name as they use to ask me to leave 10 mins before midnight). I don't recommend losing all control and just living in the library like I did.

Make sure you focus on assignments and seminar readings in the run up to Christmas. In the final few weeks before the holiday really go to town on the revision as you seem to be overwhelmed trying to do everything at once.

Remember seminar and assignment work will help you in your exams.

It is difficult but you need to get use to independent study or else the rest of your degree is going to be very tough

Step 1: Get next weeks reading done this weekend.
Step 2: Spend rest of time working on assignments.
Step 3: Keep all your notes ordered so you can revise later on for exams (after all they are in January unless all assignments are exams then I recommend spending the time writing revision cards or other good methods of revision).

thank you.

Hope my advice helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending