Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Computing (Advanced Level) - VB watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the VB aspect of the course is VB for Applications that's a part of Excel?

If you look at Page 22 on the coursework guide - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25177.pdf - it appears that Excel and VB are 'required' as part of the final solution.

I just want to know if I'll need Microsoft's VB software or anything, or whether Excel will do it. It seems very unclear to me (and I guess I could ask at school, but I'd like to be ahead in acquiring any necessary software), so any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Does anyone know if the VB aspect of the course is VB for Applications that's a part of Excel?

If you look at Page 22 on the coursework guide - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25177.pdf - it appears that Excel and VB are 'required' as part of the final solution.

I just want to know if I'll need Microsoft's VB software or anything, or whether Excel will do it. It seems very unclear to me (and I guess I could ask at school, but I'd like to be ahead in acquiring any necessary software), so any help would be appreciated.
    I don't think Excel and VB are required. Everyone at my college doing edexcel computing has used Access, except me, I made a system in PHP/MySQL - far more enjoyable for me since it's what I spend most of my spare time doing.

If you do go down the excel route, it includes a visual basic editor and all the tools you need to include VB in your spreadsheet 'application'. Personally I'd recommend access to anybody for a computing project (unless you have experience elsewhere). Have a look at page 20 of that coursework guide. Access has core features for providing everything in that bullet pointed list.

Good luck with your coursework

-Chris

ReputationRep:
    But in Access and Excel it's still VBA, not VB. If VB is required, that's VB, and you'd need Visual Studio. Of course, if you go that route, computers at school should suffice.

ReputationRep:
    lol I do AQA.... we have to do a ton of Higher level programming to do, alot of VBA. Seeing as I don't do Edexcel I can't help you but if my course makes me use VBA then its likely that yours will too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on edexcel, and we are all taught VB in our first year, the entirety of my cpt6 though had to be in vb because our teacher didnt understand C++

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)

you will likely be taught on vb for many reasons i wont get in to here, but you wont need to shell out for the software yourself unless you want to because you can do the project at college (supposedly, but i pirated visual studio 6 and i couldnt have done it without it... so.... meh. my project was fecking huge tho, was no need)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil-Tuna)
    I'm on edexcel, and we are all taught VB in our first year, the entirety of my cpt6 though had to be in vb because our teacher didnt understand C++
    my teacher appears to be so brainwashed by microsoft et al. i was talking about c++ and he said

"well theres not really any point in me teaching you c++ because its so old fashioned"

(95% of games are written in c++)

he also came out with the classic line "yeah but all free software is rubbish"

edit: i was told i could write it in whatever language i liked tho (cpt6) so thats odd. was well tempted to learn c++ and the qt or gtk api's just for the project so i could appear hardcore :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.