Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey..I am about buying my first car and I am confused of which one to get.. I am looking for a car that is reliable and not too expensive to run.. My dad has given me a choice with mercedes benz A class, Peugeot 206, Vw golf 1.6 se and a nissan micra...

which one do you reckon would be good....

ReputationRep:
    Golf!!!

ReputationRep:
    What an odd assortment!

ReputationRep:
    i know..really odd....dats the choice i have in mind..

ReputationRep:
    golf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_nems_05)
    Hey..I am about buying my first car and I am confused of which one to get.. I am looking for a car that is reliable and not too expensive to run.. My dad has given me a choice with mercedes benz A class, Peugeot 206, Vw golf 1.6 se and a nissan micra...

Lol wtf...random choice. Anyway how are you guna get them insured? Maybe the Pug and the Micra, but any Golf will be expensive, and a Merc :eek:

The 1.6 Golf is underpowered btw, for everyone saying to get it.

ReputationRep:
    How very odd. What the hell? Wierd assortment of cars.

I'd go Merc A class everytime.
    Golf is such a bulky heavyweight for a 1.6.
    Micra is a stereotyped car which only old grannies should be driving to warn other car users that you're a danger.
    Peugeot 206 - just no.

ReputationRep:
    Hey..I am about buying my first car
    buy a £500 mobile wreck if it's your first.

it could even last you years.

You wont care if it gets scratched and dented.

you wont have to worry about washing it. you'll save money. !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    and you can forgo airbags and any safety kit on board! yaaay!

:rolleyes:
    as long as you don't drive like a c*ck its fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    not really. there are other people on the road too. I don't think sacrificing safety for money is a good idea considering how unpredictable the weather and other road users can be at times. besides, it's completely irrelevant. they've got a choice of some decent cars from a parent.
    Oh ah..
    just sounded like he/she was parting with the money.

ReputationRep:

Obviously the Golf, innit.

--

Mercedes A Class just screams middle-class mother-of-three. So no.

Peugeot 206 - ugly and everyone has them.

Micra? eeeewww.

ReputationRep:
    nah a £500 banger is just awful.....but i think the golf would be good even though it's underpowered..besides i wouldn't be driving at extreme speed...mennn...i got such gr8 parents....a 2003 car at 19....woooo!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah the micra...the supermini....i just hate the shape..looks like a mighty bug...i don't know why my dad would really like me 2 get dat 4..

ReputationRep:
    I got a brand new car at 18, 2006 Seat Ibiza Lol! Parents are great arn't they!

Seat Ibiza are basically a VW polo with a different badge on them but have more extras and toys for the money. So if you like VW then look at Seat and Skoda because they are the same just with different bodyshells and toys inside. Plus they are cheaper!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Lucky u graham...but mine has got to be a used car and on finance..besides we r not that rich to afford a brand new car......

i need to know which one would best for a used car..
    Peugeot 206---Mileage 14000
    Nissan Micra--Mileage 20000
    Vw golf----Mileage 53000(wonder why this is more expensive tho)
    A class---Mileage 25000

ReputationRep:
    Easy easy an A class with that mileage.

Get the Micra at your peril. Get the Golf, and you'll be dull. Get the Pug and you'll have reliability issues. Get the A class - and you can pretend your a mother with 3 kids, but what the hell.

ReputationRep:
    I am paying for my new car cash. Parents will pay insurance.

Personally i would say get the Pug206, many people have them, they are reliable, economical, cheap little cars to run. Also they are fairly cheap to insure. The Micra will be super expensive to insure, the Golf and the A class will probs be less but still more than the Pug.

Plus the Pug has the lowest mileage, in general always go for a car with the lowest mileage if you can. Also, how old is it, do any of the cars still have warranties?

Graham

ReputationRep:
    the golf and the pug is 2003,,,
    the A class is 2002..and micra is 2002...but walshie is right tho..the A class would make me look old...the pug am not 2 sure about....
    i think the golf is heavy...coz with a mileage of 53000..it stil costs about £9000 including 3 years warranty and all that stuff....

it's from a franchised dealer so am not so scared of getting scamed coz it comes with a 14 day return thing...

ReputationRep:
    sleep on it, see what you think in the morning!

graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Plus the Pug has the lowest mileage, in general always go for a car with the lowest mileage if you can. Also, how old is it, do any of the cars still have warranties?
    You're pretty good with advice, but this quote is incorrect.
    I know you said general, but a car with a 3.0l engine is not going to bulk at 90k like a 1.2 would. Also the fact that some cars have repair issues at certain mileage intervals which can have a deciding influence on the price of a car. E.g. I bought mine on very low mileage, but then got hammered with a 2k bill due to parts on the service. They hadn't been done.

So on that basis, a 1.6 Golf is OK. But its just very heavy and clumsy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.