Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For every four hundred people that apply to be a pilot one ends up making it.

Apparantly they were looking for no more than around half a dozen this year.

By all means go for it just remember what you are up against and think of a second choice branch too!

ReputationRep:
    Mate, that's absolute bull****.

I'm starting IOT in a few weeks as a Pilot and there are 20 of us on that course alone.

The odds are actually far worse than you state - the RAF say 1 in 20 000 gets wings from those that apply. I believe that around 1000 get to OASC, which is itself an achievement as thats a 1 in 4000 ish chance.

I know that the numbers have been done to death - but a realistic figure is circa 100 - 150 Pilots per year now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raptor)
    The odds are actually far worse than you state - the RAF say 1 in 20 000 gets wings from those that apply. I believe that around 1000 get to OASC, which is itself an achievement as thats a 1 in 4000 ish chance.
    So about 4 million people apply to be a pilot every year?

ReputationRep:
    Ooopps!, should be 40 000. So 1 in 400!

ReputationRep:
    Ooopps!, should be 40 000. So 1 in 400!
    1 in 40?

Did you do well on the aptitude tests? lol.

ReputationRep:
    really well!!

thats why i'm not in the army!! mlllllaaaaerrrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    really well!!

thats why i'm not in the army!! mlllllaaaaerrrrrrrrrr
    Feck off REMF lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mark_KK)

By all means go for it just remember what you are up against and think of a second choice branch too!
    I know it's been alluded to already, but that really is nonsense! My QFI mates at EFT have had at least six pilots on every course, and there's 3 schools running EFT; and that doesn't count those with EFT credit who went straight to basic, with again about half a dozen on every BFJT/DHFS course!!

The odds are definately worse than 1 in 400. We probably only give out 100-odd sets of wings a year, and there are tens of thousands popping in AFCO doors, and probably a similar number put pen to paper on the forms.

The into training target generally hovers slightly above 100. I seem to remember it was 125 when I joined, I think I've seen it peak at 140, and on a bad year you're probably looking at 100-110. Not 6!

Who told you all this crap?

ReputationRep:
    Someone at an AFCO. I won't say who or which AFCO though.

I think I may have misinterpreted it - he might have been on about fast jet pilots.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    He's still talking nonsense; we were looking for around 40 qualified FJ pilots to arrive with Strike Command this year! To provide 40 FJ and the appropriate numbers of RW and ME pilots Into Productive Service you need to accept into training enough to take account of failure; hence why we recruit over 100 a year.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Someone at an AFCO. I won't say who or which AFCO though.
    I wish you would. Sometimes all it would take would be a phonecall to the OC to ask why his people are talking such rot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    He's still talking nonsense; we were looking for around 40 qualified FJ pilots to arrive with Strike Command this year! To provide 40 FJ and the appropriate numbers of RW and ME pilots Into Productive Service you need to accept into training enough to take account of failure; hence why we recruit over 100 a year.

Any idea how the holds post EFT are panning out lately, specifically holds for Linton?

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you that Linton to Valley is couple of months now. Not sure of post-EFT holds however

ReputationRep:

So best not apply then? Most people who apply do indeed stick down more than one branch choice, btw. This kind of **** is not productive, please don't post it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    1 in 40?

Did you do well on the aptitude tests? lol.
    Pwned.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by InaSpin)
    I can tell you that Linton to Valley is couple of months now. Not sure of post-EFT holds however
    I've been on the phone today to a mate who works at Linton. Courses are shifting around a lot at the moment, so while the word on the grapevine is that it's down to 3 months, that's probably not the case at all. The people refreshing at Linton right now graduated last August, and if I do some quick finger-counting maths there's about 3 BFJT courses' worth of refreshers waiting before you get to the guys who are next to graduate.

3 BFJT courses = approx 5/6 AFT courses, and they're starting between every 6-8 weeks. Therefore you're probably looking at a maximum of 6 months if you graduate Linton right now; and if you're out there with a course date, Valley's short about 12-odd QFIs so expect it to slip, especially when you get into the winter.

Winter AFT courses have a habit of slipping, getting extra leave, long groundschools etc.

Between EFT and BFT I'd put you down for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of holding between courses, are there any WSO holds that you're aware of Wzz? I'm pretty sure there aren't after IOT but no clue beyond that..!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No idea to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, Wzz, what can one expect to be doing while on hold? General Officer of the Watch type stuff? Aiding those going through their basic? Or would you be doing something productive towards your flying training?

ReputationRep:
    About 6 months on an ops desk is fairly standard for most pilot branch types out of IOT, dunno about between EFT and Linton, i'll tell you in a few months all things being equal.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.