beast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hello there,
I understand the definition of open and closed sets in terms of metric spaces, but I find them hard to apply to specific questions!!

The definition of an open set is as follows:
"Let (X,d) be a metric space. Then a subset (Y,d) of (X,d) is open if for all x E (Y,d) there exists an epsilon > 0 such that the epsilon ball about the point x is a subset of (Y,d) . "

And " a subset (Y,d) is closed if (X,d)\(Y,d) is open."

As I say, I find these defintions difficult to apply when trying to determine whether sets are open or closed. For example, consider the following questions:

{x E Q | x^2 <= 3} in the space Q with the Euclidean Metric. (Q is the rationals here)

{(x,y) E R^2 | 2<=x , 0<=y<=1/x } in the space R^2 with the Euclidean metric.

So I'm not sure how to show these sets are open or closed from the definition!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou for your time.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you understand open/closed subsets in R then it's easy to understand the open/closed subsets of A, where A is a subset of R.

Let S be a subset of A, which in turn is a subset of R.

S is open (resp. closed) in A if and only if there exist exists an open (resp. closed) subset T of R such that

S = A n T.

(Original post by beast)

S = {x E Q | x^2 <= 3} in the space Q with the Euclidean Metric. (Q is the rationals here)
T = (-rt(3),rt(3)) is open in R;
S = T n Q;
so S is open in Q.

U = [-rt(3),rt(3)] is closed in R;
S = U n Q;
so S is closed in Q.

S is open and closed in Q.

(Original post by beast)
V = {(x,y) E R^2 | 2<=x , 0<=y<=1/x } in the space R^2 with the Euclidean metric.
This is done in R^2, so no need to worry about subspace topologies like in the previous example. You can think about putting open discs around points of V and R^2 - V.

Sketch V first that should help. Then note:

any disc around (2,0) (or indeed any point of the boundary of V) will contain some of the complement of V; that is, (2,0) is not an interior point of V and so V is not open.

given any point in the complement of V, the a small enough disc can be placed around that point and still in the complement. The complement is open and so V is closed. Another way of looking at it is that V contains its limit points (includes its boundary).

So V is closed but not open in R^2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (89)
50%
No (89)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise