Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Times and Guardian Ranking (CRAP!!!!!)?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys. I just wanted to know. These ratings given by Times and Guardian...Are they really practical or just for show. U see most of the Russell Group unis are in the top spots. Seems a bit biased. Like the Bristol , Sheffield mngt. school isnt that bad, but they are still under rated.

What do u guys think. Does the ratings say it all or is there a completely different story???

ReputationRep:
    I think The Times' league tables are probably very accurate. But the new ones are out in a couple of months, does anyone know when? I don't reckon The Guardian is very accurate. I mean, Bradford??? lolz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_mars_volta)
    I think The Times' league tables are probably very accurate. But the new ones are out in a couple of months, does anyone know when? I don't reckon The Guardian is very accurate. I mean, Bradford??? lolz
    That bradford thing scored amazingly well in the financial times' Masters in Management. I really don't get it.
    The Guardian: LSE is only 5th and behind unis like St Andrew's ?!??! BS !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showdown_counts)
    hey guys. I just wanted to know. These ratings given by Times and Guardian...Are they really practical or just for show. U see most of the Russell Group unis are in the top spots. Seems a bit biased. Like the Bristol , Sheffield mngt. school isnt that bad, but they are still under rated.

What do u guys think. Does the ratings say it all or is there a completely different story???
    you can see from the replies from the two clueless dolts above, that league tables should not be the sole basis upon which your choices are made. the russel group contains the uk's top research funded universities, and research is a factor which league tables take into account. personally, between the guardian and the times, i just take the average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3.1415926535897)
    between the guardian and the times, i just take the average.
    Woooooow, now that's a great comment !
    Dude, keep this in mind: research isn t going to save you and if you graduate from a crap uni, you will have a hard time fooling the employer.
    And Bradford is not in the russel group, try harder in your little head and find something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octavius85)
    Woooooow, now that's a great comment !
    Dude, keep this in mind: research isn t going to save you and if you graduate from a crap uni, you will have a hard time fooling the employer.
    And Bradford is not in the russel group, try harder in your little head and find something else.
    essayez encore. vous vous exprimez bien en anglais, mé vous ne m'avez pas bien compris.

i simply explained the link between the russel group, research, and university rankings. i didn't say all of the top ranked universities were in the said group. i agree with you infact, concerning research and employment, but it is a factor used in rankings nonetheless.

soyez sage.
    bisous xx

ReputationRep:
    no really...u think if I go to Essex which is no.8 for economics. If I had studied there and i say to the to employers...I might as well become the last pririty for the job. Really thats the prime reason I chose sheffield as my Insurance as more employers know about it.

What do u guys think about my decision??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showdown_counts)
    no really...u think if I go to Essex which is no.8 for economics. If I had studied there and i say to the to employers...I might as well become the last pririty for the job. Really thats the prime reason I chose sheffield as my Insurance as more employers know about it.

What do u guys think about my decision??
    I think you've made a sensible decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_mars_volta)
    I think you've made a sensible decision.
    I totally agree

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh are 5th in the Times rakings, but they seem to be really quite low in the individual subject tables, especially for the popular courses such as economics and history... i wouldn't trust the rankings really, while statistics are important, they dont take into account reputation and such like...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh the Guardian tables are suspect. What do they use to judge? I think it's things like how many student get jobs or something, and how much the Unis spend on each student. There were unis at the top of the Guardian table that were bottom of the national student survey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzza)
    Yeh the Guardian tables are suspect. What do they use to judge? I think it's things like how many student get jobs or something, and how much the Unis spend on each student. There were unis at the top of the Guardian table that were bottom of the national student survey.

also the avarage a levels grade for entry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzza)
    I think they judge X-factor style.

ReputationRep:
    Guardian is really crappy !

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian is a stupid newspaper of which we must take little notice. The Times have accurate and non partisan league tables for us to use. The Guardian just want to see how many people from poor socio economic backgrounds attend university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stupanico)
    The Guardian is a stupid newspaper of which we must take little notice. The Times have accurate and non partisan league tables for us to use. The Guardian just want to see how many people from poor socio economic backgrounds attend university.
    So you would rather that the other newspapers just brush over elitist selection?

ReputationRep:
    Both are inaccurate but are inaccurate in diferent ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Both are inaccurate but are inaccurate in diferent ways.
    Explain yourself :p:

ReputationRep:
    yes pls do explain yourself arkbar.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a definitive ranked list of 'best' Universities, this is because people put different emphases upon differing aspects of a university. Want to create a table of RAE grades per university? Possible but irrelevant to undergraduates. Want to create a table of 'atmosphere', overall 'academic quality' or something like 'nightlife' then that's all going to be differently ranked basd upon whoever is trying to assess it.
    This has led to the guardian probably overstating the quality of those universities which are ethnically and socialy diverse whilst the times probably goes the other way and puts too much emphasis on old 'established' universities.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.