Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im all in favour of free speech but has anyone ever watched U music channel on Sky. Its ridiculous im referring here to mainly UK "underground" hip-hop(well thats what they call themselves anyway) groups. Anyone who has seen this will know immediately what im referring to, im not talking about commercial stuff like 50 cent etc...

For anyone who hasnt seen this on the U music channel, essentially the music video's consists of groups of 10-20 black teenagers sitting around council housings preaching about how hard life is (ok weve seen that before).
    But most of the time promoting drug taking and how the pO-lice are against them like there in South Central LA. But what disturbs me is the fact these groups promote gun violence and mugging/stabbing people as a means of income to "get by". I even saw a video (one of the many) where muggings with firearms and murders were simulated and glorified.

What I can't understand is why the U music channel and Sky have allowed this. Its not like its one video here or a single group, its practically every other video is made by groups of street thugs. These people aren't musicians, this isnt even hip-hop, these are groups of mindless, clearly violent criminals who have been given a forum to preach an incredibly antisocial message.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is banning it will only make it more popular. I think there should be some sort of watchdog that prevents videos like that from being shown on TV though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like this sort of music myself, in fact it's the last sort of music I would choose to listen to.
    However, I don't think you can talk about censoring/banning art, even if you don't consider it particularly artistic. People write songs/poems/paint pictures based on what they know and feel strongly about. I would hazard a guess that if anyone is directly influenced by these songs on eg. gun violence to the extent that it makes them go out and shoot someone, chances are they aren't right in the head and would have done it whether they'd heard the song or not.
    I think some songs depict appalling situations and most people probably wouldn't condone the actions they describe (eg. in Eminem's Stan, Stan locks his pregnant girlfriend in the boot of his car and drives them off a cliff, having been driven mad by his obsessional fan-stalking of Eminem). However, such songs can still be powerful nonetheless, and I'd say that Stan is the one Eminem song I do like, because of this.

ReputationRep:
    Impossible considering if someone really wanted to listen to it they could get it off the net.

ReputationRep:
    It also sounds like the music channel is probably only available on cable, and is not even a mainstream cable channel at that. Certainly I've never heard of this channel.
    However, even if it isn't a mainstream channel, they perhaps shouldn't show these particular music videos before the watershed.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't they have guidelines.

ReputationRep:
    i love hip hop but i hate UK rap... they can't rap and they rap about sh!t anyways... channel U is a rubbish channel...

ReputationRep:
    I listen to a lot of offensive, politically incorrect black metal, so I don't think any form of music should be banned. However, I generally detest hip hop, and I do see the growing problem with antisocial behaviour and hip hop fans. Look at chavs, for example: some of them are obviously inspired by violent hip hop lyrics that they hang out in gangs and emulate the lyrics. That being said, though, it shouldn't be banned. Maybe record labels should be a little more ethical and take into consideration what they are promoting. But, other than that, I don't think there's much that can be done.

There's one thing regarding hip hop and censorship that does really annoy me, however, and that is the fact that racist anti-white hip hop artists, who create music promoting racist violence, get signed by major labels and sold in major chain stores; but political black metal music (or political oi/RAC) is pretty much banned from being sold in large chain stores, and would never be touched by larger labels. Take a look at this link; this should explain what I am talking about in regards to the racist hip hop: http://home.att.net/~phosphor/introtogrammys.html (Even Ice T, pretty much a hip hop/rap household name, is on there.)

ReputationRep:
    i think people can relate to things like that alot more esp. in the UK.
    when rappers like 50 cent etc chat about how thick there jacobs are and how iced out there belts are people cant relate to it
    UK stuff however, can be, coz they come from nothing and making something of themselves, they dont chat about there watches etc, but rather, smoking bud and macking girls which is what they do

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be banned because it's ****.

ReputationRep:
    u chat ****

They may well be promoting violence and the like but this doesn't affect me; it doesn't make me want to go out there, get a gun and shoot old ladies. Surely the problem lies with the people who ARE affected by this kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's no worse than some of that Radiohead stuff.

Seriously, anyone who actually enjoys listening to the same note for 6 minutes needs to have their head checked

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad.

ReputationRep:
    i love hip hop, rnb, soul etc it's what i grew up on and in no way has it affected me BUT Channel U is effectively full of trash, sure it helps launch a lot of successful careers well relatively i.e dizzee rascal, kano and sway, i am so sick of seeing these little 15 year olds preaching abt their hard life etc etc and them not trying to do anything abt it-they expect to get signed off a predictable and repetitive song.

I do see some inspiring songs on channel u though like "my precious" by some guy talking abt how his weed addiction is slowly killing him and how people need to realise and stop it!-so its not all bad

ReputationRep:
    Well some may think its trash others may like it. I can hardly see how people in the UK would consider any rap or r&b too outrageous. When I was there last summer it seemed censored already. Here, gangsta and all that other stuff dominates airwaves and there all i saw was washed up hip hop with 50 cent, eminem and other mainstream r&b groups like destiny's child. omg!! hide your children...whatever. and the hip hop section in stores in the UK..well i guess u call it the 'urban' section was no where near how packed ours is..so it seems as if the UK has already said' look we dont want this music...its too ghetto'..but i dont think we can judge what they talk about in songs...so the black rappers(dont know why we gotta point out their race) talk of hard lives...they probably DID have hard lives...if that is your complaint then lets get rid of all those people talking about love and complaining about heartbreak...wait...we have no music :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Some UK hiphop - not all the stuff u find on channel u - is amazing, and much better than anything overseas.

If you listen to anything by blade, klashnekoff, phi-life cypher, tommy evans, skinnyman, etc. then hopefully u'll forget about all the worthless crap thats on the tv.

And to Master killa who said that said UK rappers cant rap.. tell that to eminem who got destroyed by skinnyman in a battle in london!

Id love it if they banned all crap UK music - be it the rubbish pop or hiphop thats all over the music stations. Its much too easy for people with a camera to get onto those channels now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickylew)
    Some UK hiphop - not all the stuff u find on channel u - is amazing, and much better than anything overseas.

If you listen to anything by blade, klashnekoff, phi-life cypher, tommy evans, skinnyman, etc. then hopefully u'll forget about all the worthless crap thats on the tv.
    Exactly, don't assume that all UK hip hop is as bad as the stuff thats rammed down your throat on the telly. Mark B and Blade made some progress into the mainstream a few years ago (Xfm anyone?) - I'm normally into my rock and indie but these UK hip hop guys were sooo good I'm still listening to them now.

ReputationRep:
    Look out for Blade's new album - Guerilla tactics, some nice stuff on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    It also sounds like the music channel is probably only available on cable, and is not even a mainstream cable channel at that. Certainly I've never heard of this channel.
    However, even if it isn't a mainstream channel, they perhaps shouldn't show these particular music videos before the watershed.
    It is fairly mainstream, loads of "bredrens" at my school watch it

ReputationRep:
    Hip Hop the biggest-selling music genre in the world? Unlikely. A far broader range of people like classical music, for example, than hip-hop. Just because not many listeners of classical music happen to be of our generation doesn't mean it doesn't sell, and I would be very surprised if hip-hop outsold classical music on a worldwide basis.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.