The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fancy finding some stats to back up your claims then?
Reply 21

Don't ban it, just laugh at it. The only UK hip hop I can remotely relate to is Goldie Lookin' Chain, and they're a joke band
Reply 22
OMGWTF
Don't ban it, just laugh at it. The only UK hip hop I can remotely relate to is Goldie Lookin' Chain, and they're a joke band

Who else have you heard before?
Reply 23
I don't think that it should be banned because it appeals to a number of people, channel U gives them an opportunity to have their videos shown and maybe a chance to become the next Kano, Wiley or Sway. You say "these groups promote gun violence and mugging/stabbing people" but not the majority of those don't talk about that they mostly mc about raving, girls and things related to that. However, I do agree that videos which promote those things shouldn't be shown.

I also feel that it is not up to you to decide whether or not they are musicians and before you decide to voice your opinion on what the music videos consist of I think that you should do more research on the videos which are shown.
Reply 24
Pretty Boy
Pop music is the most popular genre as it always is - that never changes - but pop music is a loosely defined category which spans rock, hip hop, r & b, country and dance. It is, in essence, a category of convenience. It has 30.75% of worldwide music sales in 2005.

However, the next truly biggest selling genre is hip hop with 17.30% which when added to R&B's 9.84% gives Urban music 27%. Thus, next to the ambiguous 'pop' genre it is the biggest selling in the world.

Edit: BTW, classical music isn't even in the top 10 with regards to sales.

Come on how often have you seen a classical artist at no.1?

What is your source for these statistics? And yes, classical crossover artists such as Katherine Jenkins frequently make it to no.1 in the popular chart. In the week of Mothers' Day, Il Divo, Vittorio Grigolo and Andrea Bocelli were all in the top 20.
I somehow don't think that 50 Cent outsells Mozart on a worldwide basis.
keenya2006
Well some may think its trash others may like it. I can hardly see how people in the UK would consider any rap or r&b too outrageous. When I was there last summer it seemed censored already. Here, gangsta and all that other stuff dominates airwaves and there all i saw was washed up hip hop with 50 cent, eminem and other mainstream r&b groups like destiny's child. omg!! hide your children...whatever. and the hip hop section in stores in the UK..well i guess u call it the 'urban' section was no where near how packed ours is..so it seems as if the UK

Yes but the club scene in the US is absolutely crap. Most clubs only play hip hop which shows that yes indeed, it's massive in the US.

There are only a few big clubs in the US like Avalon or Twilo.
Reply 26
Pretty Boy
The UK hasn't rejected hip hop/rap. Its just that the majority of UK is white and they don't understand ebonics. As soon as one decent white rapper came out with a decent album (Eminem) then everyone bought it and this spawned an interest in 50 Cent. Its just a matter of more people stopping to listen to the lyrics of rappers and hear what they're actually saying.

Hip Hop is the biggest selling genre of music in the world.

As for the videos on Sky, its a tough one. If its a music video then its fine (because its art) and if its just people sitting around saying mugging people is good - then it should be censored.

Its sad but a lot of young black males in the UK are strongly influenced by the content of rap songs. They need to get a grip on the fact that music isn't real life. (at least not in the UK where our welfare system adequtely provides for the poor.)

I dont think it has to deal with race. yeah the UK is a white majority but when i was there I had to do an interview with a black DJ at this night club called Mood and he said that the ones listening to the rap are mainly school-age white kids---those are the big hip-hop heads and ofcourse you got the ignorant people too that refuse to listen to it beause its 'trash' like i said...but its not just black kids idolizing the rappers...in fact the DJ said many black kids get turned off when 'whitie' starts to like the same music as them...which is another issue...Eminem is ****...he's not the greatest MC out there..people judge hip hop and r&b with losers like him and 50 cent when the really good, decent stuff is underground.
Reply 27
The use of kano, wiley and sway as examples of UKHH isn't a good one - Their sound is not representative of most UK hiphop at all - only grime mcs trying to make it big. Most of the music on Channel U really isnt real uk hiphop. If anyones interested in looking deeper into it, http://www.ukhh.com/ is a great site with a lot of info.
Reply 28
Most of them aren't trying to make it big but are just doing something they enjoy they talk about real life issues which affect the younger generation who listen to them - that is what has made them well known. And if the music isn't real UK hip hop then why is it being played on Channel U?
Reply 29
SamTheMan
Yes but the club scene in the US is absolutely crap. Most clubs only play hip hop which shows that yes indeed, it's massive in the US.

There are only a few big clubs in the US like Avalon or Twilo.

Well I dont know where you were...the US is pretty big to generalize like that...yes, there are a lot of hip-hop clubs here HELLO we like invented hip hop and we actually have a good majority of black people :smile: but now its not just black people that listen to hip hop. and dude, let me tell you i go to dance clubs, hip hop clubs and ive even dared to go into a goth, death metal visual one--we got em all...i can raise the same complaint about the UK saying all yall got is dance and pop trash clubs where i wave around my little lights dancing to electronic remixs of kylie minogue songs...but im not gonna generalize :smile: i know yall got different kinds of clubs too.
Reply 30
^^ well thats your opinion on who the best mc is, and technically Eminem is not the best mc out there because he has stopped, correct me if i am wrong.
Reply 31
Pretty Boy
White people in the UK rarely listened to rap before Eminem came onto the scene. Its changed since that point. Hip hop is the fastest growing genre of music in the UK.

Apart from UK hiphop, which has had a big underground following for years. People weren't as interested in imported hiphop before eminem.

angel1607
^^ well thats your opinion on who the best mc is, and technically Eminem is not the best mc out there because he has stopped, correct me if i am wrong.

If you're getting technical, then the UK rapper skinnyman should be the better than eminem, as he beat him in a big battle (as i mentioned already). I think he is anyway, he was class at sankeys couple of months back :smile:
Reply 32
nickylew
People weren't as interested in imported hiphop before eminem.

Your wrong here there were many people interested in it, just remember Tupac and there were many other rap and hip hop artists. What makes Eminem so special? By the way im not against Eminem he once was my favourite rapper.
Reply 33
We were talking about white people. Eminem made it more acceptable for white people to listen to hiphop. Course people were before though!
Reply 34
nickylew
We were talking about white people. Eminem made it more acceptable for white people to listen to hiphop. Course people were before though!

Oh ok, I just had to be clear
Reply 35
I wasn't talking about the impact it had on the UK, I was just stating that there were people who were interested in hip hop. I personally do feel that the fact that Eminem was white made a difference as he proved to people that it wasn't just a black mans game. (i know ive kind of answered my own question)
Reply 36
Pretty Boy - it sounds like classical music was left out of these stats altogether. Can you find some where classical music sales ARE included?
Reply 37
It would be insulting to classical music if it did. Come on, Ronan Keating probably comes under 'adult pop'...
Pretty Boy

Classical FM is yearly pretty much always the most listened to radio station.

I think so anyway, I cant be arsed to google it but I can remember hearing it osmewhere :smile:
Pretty Boy
You're wrong - he hasn't stopped. Jay-Z has stopped though (many peoples choice for no.1 emcee).

Eminem can rip anyone on the mic.

hahahhahahahahahahahahahahah
what a joke!!!!!!!! firstly, you say emcee and thats your opinion!!!
anyone that knows anything (and im not even saying im one of those anyones) knows nas is the best

btw, i agreed with everything you said before then, but the amount of **** spouted, disregards it all, and your name to.

Latest

Trending

Trending