Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Proposed in parts of Africa - why not everywhere? I understand the legal problems as regards testing without consent, but in principle - isnt this a very very good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Good idea to test people when they come in to Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I would say good idea to test everyone whether they were here or came here subsequently.

Why limit it to immigrants?

ReputationRep:
    Who's going to pay for this?

And who's going to pay for testing every single new immigrant for STIs, Amon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)

The money we save on treatment for them.

ReputationRep:

Cheaper than treating people with the STDs and AIDs for the next 60 years, not to mention the loss of earnings, the increase in aid, and free drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    The money we save on treatment for them.
    I imagine the vast majority of people who potentially have HIV get tested ASAP in the UK anyway, I don't really think making it complusory would save anything even close to the massive expense of testing millions of people.

We're not really in the same position as Africa when it comes to HIV, and I don't really think something as extreme as this is neccessary.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the vast majority of people who potentially have HIV get tested ASAP in the UK anyway, I don't really think making it complusory would save anything even close to the massive expense of testing millions of people.

We're not really in the same position as Africa when it comes to HIV, and I don't really think something as extreme as this is neccessary.
    test immigrants when they come in and if they have AIDS then don't let them in to Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    test immigrants when they come in and if they have AIDS then don't let them in to Europe.
    Not only would that be extremely expensive, but it would do nothing to control spread that currently exists within the country, so they could contract it soon afterwards anyway.

By all means, feel free to start up a charity that provides free HIV tests for new immigrants if you really think it would be so beneficial...

ReputationRep:
    Wow I never knew this:

"Between 2000 and 2002, 12,312 people were diagnosed as being HIV positive. Of these, their country of birth was reported for 6,484. Of these 6,484 people, 4,239 were born outside the UK."

So the vast majority of people with AIDS were not born here? Why is that?

Oh - also According PACT the cost of managing a patient with HIV is £15,000 per year and the total cost of treatment and care in 2002-03 was estimated to be £345 million

In 2000 it was estimated that the average lifetime treatment cost for an HIV-positive person was between £135,000 and £181,000. Each HIV infection prevented saves between £500,000 and £1 million over a lifetime

That says ALOT.

ReputationRep:
    Not only would that be extremely expensive, but it would do nothing to control spread that currently exists within the country, so they could contract it soon afterwards anyway.
    what country?

If we stop more AIDS people coming in to Europe and then also try to stop people with AIDS already from spreading it, then we get rid of AIDS in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    what country?
    Britain.

If we stop more AIDS people coming in to Europe and then also try to stop people with AIDS already from spreading it, then we get rid of AIDS in Europe.
    So let me get this straight, you would test every single person who enters Britain, be it an immigrant, tourist, businessman, politician, quite literally everyone for HIV?
    Do you have any idea how much traffic we get coming in and out of the UK on a daily basis?

ReputationRep:
    Britain.

So let me get this straight, you would test every single person who enters Britain, be it an immigrant, tourist, businessman, politician, quite literally everyone for HIV?
    Do you have any idea how much traffic we get coming in and out of the UK on a daily basis?
    Everyone who wants to live there. Just like everyone who wants to live in any other EU country.

Look at Lawz-'s figures if AIDS could be removed from our countrys we would save a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Britain.

There would obviously be limits - such as only those comming for over 6 months.

The point is, that testing is not that expensive, especially on such costs of scale.

Given the increasing cost of treating aids, it could ctually be cost effective, especially if you add onto that lost productivity.

ReputationRep:
    Getting tested for HIV:

Normally a small sample of blood will be taken from your arm, sent to a laboratory and tested. In the USA, oral tests are also available which do not require the use of needles. The test is always strictly confidential and only goes ahead if you agree. Your personal doctor will not be told about the test without your permission. Depending on the test used, it can take anything from a few days to a week or longer to get the result back.
    http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

Do you propose everyone entering the country must wait a week before they can enter so that they can be tested for HIV?
    Do you have any idea how this would affect business, tourism, basically everything that drives our economy?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about compulsory but I certainly think that testing should be encouraged. There is still quite a lot of ignorance about the disease, many still think that it's 'just a gay disease, I'm not affected', when in fact nowadays, most transmissions occur between heterosexual partners. I read something crazy like over 10,000 people are unknown carriers of this disease within the UK alone. Testing should definately be encouraged. As somebody has said, treatment for HIV patients is extremely high so lots of money would be saved in the long term, but more importantly, if people are still engaging in promiscous, unprotected sex while they are unknown carriers of this disease, then testing will save lives aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    There would obviously be limits - such as only those comming for over 6 months.
    If you're only forcing people who want to stay longer than 6 months then you're not going to eradicate the problem. It would be very easy for someone to pass on HIV within the space of 6 months.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If you're only forcing people who want to stay longer than 6 months then you're not going to eradicate the problem. It would be very easy for someone to pass on HIV within the space of 6 months.

:confused:
    I dont think that we can aim for eradication, not without a vaccine or a cure... Jonas Salk I am not.

However, I think we could render it rare indeed, and save:

1. A lot of suffering
    2. Money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I dont think that we can aim for eradication, not without a vaccine or a cure... Jonas Salk I am not.

However, I think we could render it rare indeed, and save:

1. A lot of suffering
    2. Money
    Possibly. I'm just pointing out, though, that all it takes is one person to kick off another epidemic, and perhaps we should be looking to other methods, perhaps increase advertising to raise awareness, which would address it better in the long rather than the short run.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly. I'm just pointing out, though, that all it takes is one person to kick off another epidemic, and perhaps we should be looking to other methods, perhaps increase advertising to raise awareness, which would address it better in the long rather than the short run.
    True, but the vast reduction, and perhaps periodic testing would ensure that we had possibly the lowest infection rate in the world...

Regardless, one question here was not just for the UK, but the global benefits of it - to implement it in all countries.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.