Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Salut, le grammaire français est parfois très difficile. Je veux dire en français "It doesn't need this many". Dirait-on:

Il n'en a besoin de tant

ou

Il n'en a pas besoin de tant

ou

Il n'en a pas besoin.

Merci.

En outre, est-ce 81 se prononce 'quatre-vingts-un' ou 'quatre-vingts-et-un'?

Merci encore.

ReputationRep:
    81 is 'quatre-vingt-un' and I think (but not 100% sure) that you would say 'Il n'en a pas besoin de tant,' cause the first one seems gramatically incorrect and the last one is more like 'It doesn't need it.' Might be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choochoo)
    81 is 'quatre-vingt-un' and I think (but not 100% sure) that you would say 'Il n'en a pas besoin de tant,' cause the first one seems gramatically incorrect and the last one is more like 'It doesn't need it.' Might be wrong though
    Merci beaucoup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamma)
    Salut, le grammaire français est parfois très difficile. Je veux dire en français "It doesn't need this many". Dirait-on:

Il n'en a besoin de tant

ou

Il n'en a pas besoin de tant

ou

Il n'en a pas besoin.
    It's a little difficult without knowing the context, but I'd probably say something like "on n'a pas besoin d'un tel nombre/d'une telle quantité" (depending on what "this many" refers to).

"Il n'en a pas besoin" just means "he doesn't need it", and the other two expressions don't sound grammatically correct to me.

(Original post by Gamma)
    Quatre-vingt-un (no "s"!) - my French grammar book has the following to say on the pronunciation:

"The -t of quatre-vingt(s) is never pronounced, not even in quatre-vingt-un."

So it should be pronounced as if you were saying "quatre-vin-un", with no liaison between the "vin" and "un", if that makes sense. Explaining pronunciation on an Internet forum is a challenge!

Hope that helps. Sorry not to reply in French, but I'm feeling lazy and tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    It's a little difficult without knowing the context, but I'd probably say something like "on n'a pas besoin d'un tel nombre/d'une telle quantité" (depending on what "this many" refers to).

"Il n'en a pas besoin" just means "he doesn't need it", and the other two expressions don't sound grammatically correct to me.

Quatre-vingt-un (no "s"!) - my French grammar book has the following to say on the pronunciation:

"The -t of quatre-vingt(s) is never pronounced, not even in quatre-vingt-un."

So it should be pronounced as if you were saying "quatre-vin-un", with no liaison between the "vin" and "un", if that makes sense. Explaining pronunciation on an Internet forum is a challenge!

Hope that helps. Sorry not to reply in French, but I'm feeling lazy and tired.

Yes it does help, thanks. I'll rep you when I can.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I've been saying quatre-vingt-et-un!! Pronouncing the t of vingt!

This reminds me of The Simpsons:

Homer: Bart's teacher's name is Krabappel? I've been calling her Krandel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    :eek: I've been saying quatre-vingt-et-un!! Pronouncing the t of vingt!
    I don't remember the last time I had an opportunity to say quatre-vingt-un, but I'm pretty sure I would have done the same as you. I was genuinely surprised to find that it's not meant to be pronounced like that! Well, you learn something new every day...

ReputationRep:
    Il ne faut pas prononcer le "t" de vingt.
    On ne fait pas la liaison entre "vingt" et "un".
    On dit simplement "quatre-vingt" et en plus on dit "un", et ça donne "quatre-vingt-un" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamma)

Merci encore.
    Huitante-et-un. At least, I think that's how they say it in Switzerland. Though I may have imagined that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helenounette)
    Il ne faut pas prononcer le "t" de vingt.
    On ne fait pas la liaison entre "vingt" et "un".
    On dit simplement "quatre-vingt" et en plus on dit "un", et ça donne "quatre-vingt-un" :p:
    I find that really hard to say, though. The 'in' runs into the 'un'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.