Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok..so it's yet another 'i can't decide' thread!

with the ever looming and scary 'YOU MUST REPLY BY MAY 4th OR RISK DEATH' ucas deadline i've narrowed my firm down to bristol or exeter..both offering AAA, with sussex as my insurace (AAB).

i LOVE LOVE LOVE exeter as a uni, but i'm worried about whether i'm putting myself at a disadvantage career-wise (i'm thinking something along the lines of publishing..advertising..PR) by not going for a more prestigious uni. I really liked bristol, but i don't know if i want to live in a city..i'm not overly fussed about the night life etc (so clifton campus is out of the question) and not having been allowed2 visit the accom. when i went for an open day, i feel a bit daunted about living in stoke bishop. (i have NO CLUE what it's like..where it is...what's around there etc).

so i guess i'm hoping that someone can either reassure me about exeter's prestige and career potential, or that someone can convince me that bristol life is for me!

please.

ReputationRep:
    People always seem to think quite highly of Exeter as a university, despite it's not-so-high position in the league tables. Go for where you'd be happiest, not where employers would prefer you to be. That was one of my biggest worries about putting Cardiff over Nottingham was the same- Nottingham has a really good reputation which Cardiff doesn't quite have... But I just slightly preferred Cardiff and that's all that mattered.

Though if you do go for Stoke Bishop, I've stayed with my boyfriend there a couple of times and the accomodation in the two places I've seen (Durdham and Wills) is of a really high quality, and there's a nice, studenty atmosphere down there. It also seemed very lively- if you want a quiet life you won't get it at Bristol :P: (OK, you probably could, but his life is anything but...)

(The nightlife is awesome though. Then again, I do come from Oxford... Which has about one good club and about two good bars...)

ReputationRep:
    Exeter! *cough*

ReputationRep:
    i'm going there so i might be biased but .. bristol?

ReputationRep:
    Never understood why Exeter has asked for AAA, seems so unwarranted but still lovely place with a good dept, but if i were to reapply I'd definitely apply for Bristol (substituted it last min for St Andrews). Bristol all the way

ReputationRep:
    That's a really difficult choice to make. Bristol is definitely more prestigious but the Exeter campus is meant to be beautiful. I prefer campus uni's so I'd choose Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    I went for the place I could imagine myself living (Exeter) over, perhaps, the prestige (York). I just couldn't imagine myself at York and didn't think I'd be happy there. I do hear that Exeter is quite well thought of by employers anyway, and they run mega amounts of career stuff from what I can gather (workshops etc.). But then I'm biased :p:

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is a concrete jungle, and league tables are bullplop.
    Come to Exeter. We have a great English department with loads of amazing lecturers, Karen Edwards and Robert Mack to name just two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Bristol is a concrete jungle, and league tables are bullplop.
    Come to Exeter. We have a great English department with loads of amazing lecturers, Karen Edwards and Robert Mack to name just two.
    Bristol is not a concrete jungle- it is actually an attractive city with a lot of hills and countryside and some attractive buildings. As for reputation of the two places Exeter is not even close to Bristol. Go to the City/prestigious law firms/big companies or anywhere else and you would find this out.

ReputationRep:
    Both are chock-full of Oxbridge rejects, suggesting that neither of them are too bad. And if there's any attractive scenery in Bristol, I haven't seen it, and I know the city quite well.

ReputationRep:
    If you "love love love" Exeter go there. If you love a place you are more likely to do well, and a 1st from Exeter is better than a 2:1 or 2:2 from Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose Bristol. The only reason why I might want to go to Exeter is because it is a pretty uni, but again Bristol is not that bad either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elusive Moose)

(The nightlife is awesome though. Then again, I do come from Oxford... Which has about one good club and about two good bars...)
    haha! hemel is the same!

Thanks for all your opinions/advice everyone..looks like i've got some serious thinking to do!

i'll keep you posted

ReputationRep:
    Also, isn't Bristol's course wholly coursework assessed? That put me off even applying there...perpetual stress...

Bristol is much more prestigious, it's true. But I rather wonder whether Exeter might be rather higher up the tables once they've done the next Research Assessment Exercise (which I think is coming up quite soon). They've got a lot of good people. And my friend who did his undergrad there *raves* about it. And he's very smart.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol, it's so pretty and no exams!!

ReputationRep:
    Where are the pretty bits? Seriously, I am baffled, and I know the city fairly well.

Oh, and Exeter has more trees per person than any other UK campus dontcha know :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ideal for hugging and elicit sexual encounters!

ReputationRep:
    Lol Aneglil, I would suggest you don't know the city that well if you can't find the pretty bits. The area around the arts faculty buildings, Woodlands Road etc, the Downs, the SB Halls and surrounding area....

I'm sure someone will mention Clifton as well.

I'd go for the Gorge views, myself

ReputationRep:
    OK, so some of the buildings are attractive, I grant you. But imo, it hasn't got the countryside that Exeter has, and we have a few attractive buildings too, such as Reed Hall.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Exeter, but left when I was 1, so I can't compare - though I have heard the same about the wonderful countryside =D

Just thought I should argue against anyone who thinks Bristol is ugle everywhere

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.